Givi 46 lock problem, won't unlock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niehart

Pie Smuggler
Reaction score
After only 70,000+ miles, I'm having problems with my Givi 46 lock. I put a coat, gloves, Zumo, radar detector and helmet, it was tight, in the box and closed the top. Now the key will not turn. Yes it is the correct key, yes I have used compress air and graphite on the lock, yes I have had other folks push down on the lid while I tried the key.

At this point, I'm wondering if there is a way to get into the Givi with out ruining the box. :angry2:

After only 70,000+ miles, I'm having problems with my Givi 46 lock. I put a coat, gloves, Zumo, radar detector and helmet, it was tight, in the box and closed the top. Now the key will not turn. Yes it is the correct key, yes I have used compress air and graphite on the lock, yes I have had other folks push down on the lid while I tried the key.

At this point, I'm wondering if there is a way to get into the Givi with out ruining the box. :angry2:

One too many pies in the Givi? :p

I don't have the box in front of me to check for certain, but is it possible to simply push out the hinge pins to gain access and remove a few items, possibly freeing the lock?

I've seen it where it was hard to get the latch panel to open, but I haven't see the key get frozen by overloading. I'm wondering if the case itself is actually warped or twisted, jamming the lock cylinder. Of course, no way to see without getting the case off the bike, which requires unlocking it . . . .

One too many pies in the Givi? :p
I think it maybe just to much goo from the pies that he smugled from Marissa!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Dave,

The more I think about this I don't think a locksmith will be able to open it because your key can't turn the lock and the locksmith can only do the same as your key, I was looking at how the Givi locks the handle down. there are 2 tangs that slide up to prevent the handle to be pulled out, I still think there is some kind of pressure keeping the tangs from coming down when you try to turn the key.I will try tio take some pictures tomorrow to show you the lock in the open (down) and closed (up) position of the tangs.

+1 on the load putting pressure on the lock tangs. I would have someone pushing down on the lid (with varying amount of pressure), while you or someone else bangs the lock area say with the bottom of your fist while trying to giggle the lock. I think that might do the trick.

Dave,

Her are pictures of the lock in unlocked and locked positions

IMG_1939.JPG

Unlocked

IMG_1938.JPG

So Marcus comes over and we mess with the lock alittle more, no luck.

Roger and Deb [and Mike for having the problem first] thanks, went to the locksmith, 15 minutes late, OPEN!

Go to the locksmith first, nope I'd rather whine about it for 4 days.

Thanks for the help everyone. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of pushing down on the lid it might be better to push in on the latch plate (the same direction you push it to close it) and turn the key, if that's what's binding it.

But yeah, it the key doesn't turn, I don't think a locksmith is going to help.

EDIT: Just so I don't look stupid for saying a locksmith won't help in the post after a locksmith opened it, that post wasn't there when I was typing this post. K?

Last edited by a moderator:

Roger and Deb [and Mike for having the problem first] thanks, went to the locksmith, 15 minutes late, OPEN!

How many locksmith does it take to open a Givi?

IMG_20110622_110810.jpg

I got to get a set of lock picks in my tool kit

:thumbsupsmiley:

My key /lock won't open or is tough to open sometimes too. With mine it is the dirt the rear tire throws up into the slot. I spray the heck out of it with WD40. Never let locks get dry.