Givi Case, anything I should consider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre

Reaction score
I would like to buy a Givi Box.

Went to my dealer but the only have the V46 in stock, hard to compare with the other models.

Anything I should know, that would help buying the right one.

V46 is ok for me in size, but for a few more $$$ if I could have better, why not.

Thank you !

I had a E52 on my '03 and often thought it was just a bit too big for me. I now have a V46, which is a more appropriate size, again, for me. Unfortunately, I don't get a chance to do a lot of long trips. If I did, I'd stick with the 52 or the new 55.

I have the V46. I wish it was a little smaller, if anything. I try not to carry too much stuff up in the top box anyway because it does effect the bike's handling. Just light stuff like sweaters and the rain gear.

OTOH I do wish the side bags were a little bigger volume for that reason, to keep weight down low. The rectangular Givi E36's I had on the VFR seemed to carry more inside than the FJR's hex shaped bags. Oh well... just helps encourage the ladies to pack lighter. ;)

Hey Pierre i have the GIVI 52 and i'm glad i have it. Could probably even use the new 55. The 52 doesn't look much bigger than the 46. I'm happy with the extra space the 52 gives.....

So, now you have the answer . . .

The 46 is fine. Or it's too big. Or it's too small.

Always fun when there's a concensus.

As in most discussions, a more relevant answer appears when you refine the question. I had the V46 on my FZ6 and have an E55 on my FJR. The E55 is not really better or worse for doing the main job of holding your shit as the V46. I was originally excited about the metal arms on the E55 that keep the lip open, but the factory screws are too short and weak and one actually snapped over time. I have some larger screws in there now, but some of my original luster is gone.

Anyway, so the refined question back to you is: what do you intend to use the topbox for? Longer-distance riding? Commuting to work with equipment (I carry a 15" laptop and a bunch of other crap)? Do you mostly ride solo, or do you have a passenger?

I did just fine with the V46 when I was riding by myself or just going to and from work. However, I bought the FJR to ride 2UP, so I needed a larger topcase to put two full-face helmets inside. The V46 (and I guess the E52) are supposed to eat two helmets, but I did not find this to be true for the V46, even when putting in a size L and a size XS helmet inside.

I didn't do a formal review of the V46 on my blog, but here's the link to my E55 review.

I like the e52 best as far as looks go. I think it compliments the bike the best. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I like it because I can get a lot of stuff in it including 2 full face helmets.

Good luck Pierre!

V46 eliminate

1) Need it to bring my 17" laptop

2) Need it also for long distance trip

3) Solo riding in 99 percent of the time

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

My E52 arrives tommorrow. My friend has a V46, and says he wishes he had bought the E52.

I ride 2 up, and my wife is wanting it for a back rest/confidence booster more than anything!

I however will use it since I commute to work on a motorcycle almost every day.

I will give you my opinion after it is installed, and ask my buddy his opinion, as compared to his V46 on his FJR.

As in most discussions, a more relevant answer appears when you refine the question.
That is a very good point. What you intend to do with the case is of huge importance as to how functional it will be. And as Johnny said (paraphrasing) "beauty is in the eye of the beerholder", so only you can say what looks best to you.

But I have never understood the big desire to have a top case that "swallows two full face helmets". In order for that to happen you need to be riding around with the case empty. In my case (pun intended) if the trunk was going to be empty it isn't going on there. Any time I'm riding two-up there is always a number of items stashed in there (extra layers, rain gear, etc.), which precludes stuffing helmets in there at lunch stops. The only time I'd use the top case riding solo would be an extended trip of longer than a weekend, in which case the trunk is completely full of stuff.

I am not a commuter, but I think a 17" laptop would fit in the V46 fine. Too bad it doesn't fit in the side bags, eh?

I've got the E-52. And when we go camping, I can fit 2 sleeping bags, a small tent, and a bike cover in it. I also have the luggage rack on it, for strapping down 2 sleeping pads. It's a tight squeeze, but we manage. The E-55 was not available when we bought the E-52, so I cant comment.

Like many others here I added my topcase for pillion comfort and it's only on when she's on. I have the E460 on mine. It holds the same volume as the V46 but for some reason seems to hold helmets better. For us its fine, but if I were to do it over again I'd get the 52 simply because it looks nicer with the color matched lid.

I had a long response typed up about what went in on 2-up day rides, multi-day trips, and for camping, but heres the reader's digest...I'm a packrat. My 460 holds everything I need but not everything I want. 2 helmets fit nicely but I didnt buy it for that, we take our gear with us usually.

Bottom line, I like my 46. It does its job well. When its time to replace it, I want the color matched lid. The extra 4 liters is a bonus but isn't gonna make or break anything for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an E50 on the Wee (older Givi) and the V46 on the FJR. I can get my size large Shoei and Killi jacket in the 50 but not the 46. I have to put the jacket in the side bag and the helmet in the top case. I commute to work daily and leave my riding gear on the bike.

The 46 was on the bike when I got it, if I had to buy a case I'd get the larger one after having both sizes. I won't spend the money to get a larger one now though as the 46 works ok.

If you do decide on the V46, be aware there is a Yamaha Givi 46 with Yammy decals made for the scooter line. Looks great, has nice red lenses, but is all black grained plastic (bet you could sand and paint it if you tried). Part number is 46L-W0754-00 and is half the price of a Givi. You still need to buy a mount though.

See this thread for more interesting info.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry641565

If you do decide on the V46, be aware there is a Yamaha Givi 46 with Yammy decals made for the scooter line. Looks great, has nice red lenses, but is all black grained plastic (bet you could sand and paint it if you tried). Part number is 46L-W0754-00 and is half the price of a Givi. You still need to buy a mount though.
See this thread for more interesting info.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry641565
Very nice ! :)

46L-W0754-00-00_l.jpg
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/ima...754-00-00_l.jpg

Just my 2 cents, which is about all I seem to have...

In 2006 when I got my Givi V46, the sales guy at Midwest in Minneapolis put a 52 and a 46 side by side on the counter. His opinion was that if you filled them with liquid, the 52 would hold more. but in the real world, they were essentially the same. He suggested I pick on style more. I will not know if he was right or not, but I have enjoyed the utility of the V46 ever since. Purely subjective.

My biggest complaint is that the little rubber bumpers between the case and the rack, compress over time and allow the case to wiggle. I have replaced them once and need to do it again. Simple deal, but makes me wonder if there is a better way.

mr.paul