Givi E55 Monokey Deluxe Light Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
I bought the Givi E55 recently and got the deluxe version which came with a case liner and lights. The lights are not bright enough in my opinion to use as brake light, but they do a fine job as marker lights. The cost of the Deluxe upgrade was about $50, and I felt it was worth it for the liner, and knew the lights would not live up to Admore standards, but then again, I didn't want to lay out $140 at this point either. I installed the lights as running lights and will add a TIR3 for supplemental stop lights.

For those considering this option, the lights and liner come installed. You have to remove a knock-out plug from the rack and insert a 2-pole conductor that is hooked up to a light source and ground. In my case the running tail light.

Lights with flash

Givi2001.jpg

Lights using ambient light

Givi2002.jpg

Function and features on the E55 are nice This shows the key in the lock

Givi3001.jpg

Turn the key 1/4 turn and the case is unlocked, but turn it just a bit farther to the 4:00 position and the handle comes out to allow the case to be easily removed and carried off the bike.

Givi3002.jpg

Here is the case with liner and retaining strap Note the lights are in the top lid section. Power is conducted to the lid through the two metal contacts inboard of the latch. So no wires are ever visible.

Givi3004.jpg

Here are the contacts on the carrying rack. Givi includes a plastic cap for when the case is not mounted, but I'm sure I'll lose it. Electrical contact is made by simply snapping the case into the locked position

Givi3006.jpg

That's it. I have used the case on a 800 mile overnight trip so far and it handles like every other smaller Givi case. A slight wobble in buffeting winds at high speeds is noticeable in the interstates, but the case has no influence on the twisties and back roads.

Redding35015.jpg

Now all I need to do is get rid of that crow's foot or teats under the bike and I'll be all set...until the next farkle.

Redding35049.jpg

i wonder if it would be possible to rekey the givi lock wit hthe third lock set that comes with the fjr

ive been looking at this givi trunk aswell

did you use the givi mount e228m or did yo uuse anothet type of mount

the mount seems a bit cheesy from the pictures on the givi site so im wondering if it will hold up to a passenger leaning back on it aswell as hold the cargo weight bouncing down the road

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is the case with liner and retaining strap Note the lights are in the top lid section. Power is conducted to the lid through the two metal contacts inboard of the latch. So no wires are ever visible.

I ended up getting the exact same kit (I think even the same time as I read your post the first time the day I was putting mine on). I am having problems with those lid contacts though. In the garage it seems to work fine. After a few miles I noticed that the lights were not even on. I checked and yes, the contacts aren't doing their job and with any vibration they will flicker or even just not work.

I was thinking of just replacing them with a wire and be done with the issue.

I really like the way the E55 looks, but after seeing this, I am really glad I went with the E52 and the Admore kit. The Admore lights REALLY help to make the bike more visible from the rear, and the turn signals being on the trunk in addition to the ones on the bike are a great addition, IMHO.

Thanks again for the post.

Finally got the admore light kit installed on me e52. A bit pricey but top quality as always. The lights are very bright (hard to capture in a photo), and the turn signal feature is really nice. Adds a ton of conspicuity to the back of the bike imo.

92434983.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo Zed - you need a bigger compressor. :)

Thanks for the piccie. Somebody needs to post a video of taillight/brake/turn signal functioning.

Its an old school cast iron 3-4hp 220v compresseor designed to run 2 hvlp paint guns simultaneously. Its probably as old as I am! And its quiet! Can't bring myself to spend $500 bucks on new ones that seem inferior to the older units lol. I'll post up a video of the lights this weekend. Its pretty neat.

c

I ended up getting the exact same kit (I think even the same time as I read your post the first time the day I was putting mine on). I am having problems with those lid contacts though. In the garage it seems to work fine. After a few miles I noticed that the lights were not even on. I checked and yes, the contacts aren't doing their job and with any vibration they will flicker or even just not work.

The factory lights do not make a good contact no matter what you do. I'm happy to have the trunk liner, but my trunk lights (wired as running) constantly flash on and off. I don't have to look at it, but during the Death Valley gathering, I had to explain it. Maybe it adds visibility, but I'm going to go for the hardwired admore lights kit.

The Admore kit for the E55 is 3-color, but doesn't come close to this visibility. Probably good enough. The Givi light kit is not worthwhile because, lacking a hardwired connection, it isn't reliable for running or brake lights The Admore does running and brake reliably and adds amber turn signals for the E55.

The E52 is an excellent looking setup with very little capacity difference. The suitcase handle on the E55 and easy carry luggage is great. I'll be getting the Admore kit.

Finally got the admore light kit installed on me e52. A bit pricey but top quality as always. The lights are very bright (hard to capture in a photo), and the turn signal feature is really nice. Adds a ton of conspicuity to the back of the bike imo.

92434983.jpg

c

The factory lights do not make a good contact no matter what you do. I'm happy to have the trunk liner, but my trunk lights (wired as running) constantly flash on and off. I don't have to look at it, but during the Death Valley gathering, I had to explain it. Maybe it adds visibility, but I'm going to go for the hardwired admore lights kit.
I hard wired mine and they work fine. With a a resistor and two diodes I set it up to be running lights (dim but just as bright as the stock running lights) and a brake light at full brightness. Glad it was basically free since I also wanted the liner. Maybe next Winter I will upgrade to better lights, now if this Winter would just end.