GIVI Top Case...V46 or E55?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtr1174

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the market to purchase a top case for my FJR. I think I have it narrowed down to the V46 and the E55? I was looking for a little feedback from those who own both and likes/dislikes. The only time I would really use it is on long trips and when the wife rides with me as we are currently planning a trip to Colorado this summer. If you have some pics of them on your bikes, that would be great to see to, especially the E55 as I worry it might be too big for the bike.

Finally, from everything I have read, it seems to be the better option to go with the SR357 mount bracket for GIVI bags, correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I have an E55 and love it and I don't think its too big. The 1 thing that I can recommend is to NOT get the back pad. My wife complained about how it would push her forward. So I took it off and she likes it much better. If you find that you want to get the back pad PM me and we can talk terms.
rolleyes.gif

330701_2210910666928_1072338299_2386976_1299775095_o.jpg

I purchased the V46 several years ago and before the E55 was available. The V46 is nice, but if I had the opportunity today I would buy the E55. I went with the Givi SR357.

6946219794_88838a79b6_b.jpg

6946220270_6420326c5e_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an E55 and love it and I don't think its too big. The 1 thing that I can recommend is to NOT get the back pad. My wife complained about how it would push her forward. So I took it off and she likes it much better. If you find that you want to get the back pad PM me and we can talk terms.
rolleyes.gif

330701_2210910666928_1072338299_2386976_1299775095_o.jpg
Thanks for the pic and heads up on the back pad...I read somewhere else someone else said the same thing, but I believe it was on the V46 top case.

I purchased the V46 several years ago and before the E55 was available. The V46 is nice, but if I had the opportunity today I would buy the E55. I went with the Givi SR357.

Nice setup, thanks for sharing. What are the locks I see mounted below the top case for...is that for the top case or something else?

Have you considered a Shad case and mount at all? I just was pondering the same thing you are and ended up with a Shad SH50. It will be here next week so I'll get some pics up then but there are already plenty out there and the Shad customer service has been excellent through the entire ordering process. Plus 10% off your entire order just for signing up for their forum. Plus they look good...

SHAD

SHAD SH50

Nice setup, thanks for sharing. What are the locks I see mounted below the top case for...is that for the top case or something else?
They are helmet locks available from Premier Cycle Accessories....I use them for a few other reasons as well. Very convenient. I modified them to accept my Yamaha key. They are mounted to the Premier Cycle Accessories "Givi Topcase Mounting Replacement Rack. The rack permits you to slide the topcase forward/backward which is great as it lets you adjust the topcase to the correct position for comfort for the pillion rider.

Have you considered a Shad case and mount at all? I just was pondering the same thing you are and ended up with a Shad SH50. It will be here next week so I'll get some pics up then but there are already plenty out there and the Shad customer service has been excellent through the entire ordering process. Plus 10% off your entire order just for signing up for their forum. Plus they look good...

SHAD

SHAD SH50
I have not considered the Shad, however, after looking at them in the links you provided, it may be an option. I would really like to see more pics of how it looks on the FJR when you get it. Thanks for the input.

Go big or go home.

Go to the store and put 5 of those half-gallon jugs of milk in your grocery cart. That's what's missing if you go with the 46.

And +1 on skipping the back pad. Takes up room, and her jacket has a back pad anyway. If she's not wearing the right kind of jacket, why's she on your bike??

SHAD

SHAD SH50
I have not considered the Shad, however, after looking at them in the links you provided, it may be an option. I would really like to see more pics of how it looks on the FJR when you get it. Thanks for the input.
Here is a link to some other views of the Shad TopCase options:

https://www.shadusaforum.com/t72-pictures-yamaha-fjr-1300-with-shad-cases

I hadn't considered the Shad, because for the price you can still get a Givi from the looks of it. Not too sure how they compare but my experience with Givi has had me very happy (Except those terrible little screws they put in for the straps on the E370). And I've heard the comment on the back rest across the board pretty much on all bikes with all Givi models. My wife had no problems with my FZ1 and the Givi E370 without the backrest.

My link

i just bought the E55 matte black from www.tourandride.com. like it a lot, looks pretty OEM on my black 2008. not cheap for the quality of the item (not the thickest plastic but with respect it should be fine) tourandride was good to work with, no added shipping and decent online help. on that site you have to look under the MYBIKE dropdown to get the mounting hardware. the E55 monokey has a monokey mounting hardware (vs the monolock). get the right one. easy to install (and take off if you need to get under it). one push and the luggage pops off which is real nice. but its so handy i wont take off often. holds 2 helmets as promised. there is an option for the lights (and a remote i think) on another model for another $110 or so. ive seen the lighted version (in this thread) and honestly the 4 small round lights are not real large but for safety they are up nice and high and thats good. you can add backrests and a top rack anytime. i rode 2 up without the backrest and the passenger had no issues.

Perry, love your blog and all the stuff youve got on your 2007 FJR. can i ask where you got the nice skid bars on the front? im a FNG but have seen them once, and something comparable for the back saddlebags. i bought a bike which needs some painting from a gentle drop, would like to protect it from same in future. ed

SHAD

SHAD SH50
Here is a link to some other views of the Shad TopCase options:

https://www.shadusaforum.com/t72-pictures-yamaha-fjr-1300-with-shad-cases
Ahh, you beat me to it! Thanks. Those are a good start and i'll post some of mine as well in the future.

fjr310.jpg

fjr510.jpg

fjrbk410.jpg

I hadn't considered the Shad, because for the price you can still get a Givi from the looks of it.
For around the same price, box & rack you can get a color matched SHAD case. I got the gloss black upgrade and rack for around $400.00 complete after discounts. If you go matte black the SHAD will be about $50.00 less for the package. Plus the SH50 offers keyless entry if the box is not in the locked position a small convenience but one I think I'll like a lot. And. it has a factory installed back rest that you would pay extra for with a Givi. Plus they ship direct from Miami, FL.

My link

i just bought the E55 matte black from www.tourandride.com. like it a lot, looks pretty OEM on my black 2008. not cheap for the quality of the item (not the thickest plastic but with respect it should be fine) tourandride was good to work with, no added shipping and decent online help. on that site you have to look under the MYBIKE dropdown to get the mounting hardware. the E55 monokey has a monokey mounting hardware (vs the monolock). get the right one. easy to install (and take off if you need to get under it). one push and the luggage pops off which is real nice. but its so handy i wont take off often. holds 2 helmets as promised. there is an option for the lights (and a remote i think) on another model for another $110 or so. ive seen the lighted version (in this thread) and honestly the 4 small round lights are not real large but for safety they are up nice and high and thats good. you can add backrests and a top rack anytime. i rode 2 up without the backrest and the passenger had no issues.
Wow, I don't if it is just the camera angle or what, but that E55 looks HUGE on your bike. Do you feel it is not proportionate to the bike or do you think it looks good?

E55 all day long. A case of 'Big is beautiful!' It doesn't look out of place on the FJR.

In fact I think it compliments it pretty well. And add the Admore lighting kit. Great addition to it!