Givi Top Case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QIKER69

Reaction score
looking to buy a givi top case anyone know where the best price is ,also any opinions on what size top case works on the fj. thanks in advance

The Givi v46 and the E52 (I think that's it) are nice matches for the FJR. I've got the v46 which, IMO, looks the best of the two, but you get 6 liters more space with the E52. If you go with a Givi and find it's to far forward crowding your passenger, especially with a backrest, give Toecutter a holler. He's got a connection for a super slick adapter plate that sets it back ~2".

thanks for the info and suggestions ill give gary a call on monday.as far as the backrest does it leave enough room for the passenger to be comfortable or is the 2 inch back plate a must

Qiker69,

The general consensus is to forget buying the backrest pad. They push the pillion too far forward. Most passengers prefer just the box to lean back on, especially if they have the usual padded back in their jacket.

My wife is petite and doesn't even consider wanting the backrest pad.

dobias <_<

Here's a pic of my setup with pad and relocation plate. Bren finds it very comfortable, as do the 20 or so who picked up a plate since I started this.
IMG_0605.jpg

I ordered a Givi V46, matching blue lid, mounting hardware and brake light accessory last week from Gary at University Motors. It has not arrived yet.

I plan to have the rack powder coated before installation...do not like the industrial white I've seen pictures of.

Does anyone have the internal dimensions of the Givi v46 and/or E52 cases? specifically, can I get my laptop (15"x11") or laptop case (17.5x15) in the case?

Looked at Yamaha's site for the OEM version, but they only list the volume of the case, not the dimensions.

Also, any dealers in the seattle area?

thanks,

Doug

Fook the norm! LOL. Go with SHAD (click the links below). No drilling whatsoever and you don’t have to use that gay tubular rack GIVI uses to mount their top boxes to. You can use the existing FJR rack and just add the *FJR specific mounting plate* on top of the OEM rack and go (5-10 minute job)! That’s it! They are much cheaper than the Givi & Yamaha topboxes and the easiest to mount. The 46 & 48 liter includes the mount kit and brake light. You can also get color matched. I went with the basic black SHAD 42 and love it. I don’ t like the wrap-around reflector look along with the color-matched Winnabago look…but that’s just me. Good luck.

Shad home site: https://www.shad.es/

Click here for visual of mounting system (my thanks to Pierre and his recommendations): https://pierre.inazores.com/topcase_e.htm

The general consensus is to forget buying the backrest pad. They push the pillion too far forward. Most passengers prefer just the box to lean back on, especially if they have the usual padded back in their jacket.
Another viewpoint:

I have the Givi E460 with a backrest, luggage rack, & a brake light mounted on the stock Givi mount with the stock seat and am quite happy after 16K miles. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 of my miles have been with a passenger. I have had no complaints. Be aware that the FJR will even more easily pull an unexpected wheelie with a passenger over the rear axle. Moving the passenger/trunk even more rearward would make it even easier, especially under spirited launches. Food for thought. Best of luck no matter what your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
well recieved topcase today must say iam very pleased with the quality of the case

this is my first givi product. and thanks to all for info and suggestions :clap:

one last question yamaha does not reccomend using side cases with topcase should i be concerend about that

No.

I've done 6000 miles so far this season with Givi V46 top case & loaded side bags, had absolutely no problems. FJR owners with the stock case are reporting a 'weave' at high speeds (90-105) with the Yammy case. I have not had that problem at all yet, but haven't tested past 120... Givi seems real aerodynamic, only truck thet gives me a push is those monster Freightliners, you know, the ones that are all flat grille & monster fenders, now those boys throw off a bow wave...

Just put the real heavy stuff in the side cases. I put light stuff & food & maps in the top case so they're easy to get to.

No.
I've done 6000 miles so far this season with Givi V46 top case & loaded side bags, had absolutely no problems. FJR owners with the stock case are reporting a 'weave' at high speeds (90-105) with the Yammy case. I have not had that problem at all yet, but haven't tested past 120... Givi seems real aerodynamic, only truck thet gives me a push is those monster Freightliners, you know, the ones that are all flat grille & monster fenders, now those boys throw off a bow wave...

Just put the real heavy stuff in the side cases. I put light stuff & food & maps in the top case so they're easy to get to.
Those of you who have the big Givi 52, do you find the aerodynamics to be any different than those described for the 46?

Geezer,

I've never had anything but the Maxi but I don't have any problems at any speed.

Of course, I only have the trunk on when I have my wife aboard. It's when there's no passenger that the trunk becomes a problem with air flow.

dobias <_<