Givi trunk dimensions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron47

Reaction score
My math must be off. The 52L box dimensions work out to a smaller volume than the 46L box. ?? Looks like the 52L might be a bit lower than the 46L.

Is the mounting hardware the same for the '06 and '07 models? I'm thinking the silver color on the E52 just might be close enough to the 2007's paint. I was thinking I would order the black and have it painted to match the Black Cherry, but $$$.

Sorry should have answered your other questions...

I have the 52, it fits 2 full face like the 46 but I think the 52 is wider and maybe a shade longer - front to back. I saw a photo of the 46 with 2 full face helmets in it; it looks like the 2 helmets are almost touching. In my 52 there is 3-4 inches of space in between our 2 helmets.

Yes as far as I know the 06 and 07 hardware are the same.

I got the biggest, reasoning is I can have some spare space but I can't add more when full. OTOH, you always seem to fill available space... But I was glad we had the 52 when we went to SD last year.

Good point, just put it behind me and don't look back. :)

They mention a "dual brake light system" on the E52. What does that entail? Is it a do-it-yerself installation, or can I order it already in place? (I did query the Givi site for an answer but they have not responded.)

The Cherry with black box looks just fine. :thumbsup:

Sure, it looks "fine", but it doesn't look like it is part of the original design. When you have a color matched trunk it looks more like it was intended to be perched back there than it does an "add on". To each there own. Mine is galaxy blue, thank you...

I got a color-matched E52 for my '03, liked the shape of the 52 better than the 46 somehow. It has no problem swallowing 2 helmets. I got it so I could carry my laptop, shoes, and clean (non-sweaty) clothes on my ride to work. When I'm out and about, it takes my jacket and overpants, even with linings, and I put my lid in a side case.

The brake light kit is do-it-yourself, but the instructions are vague, at best, and I had to back up and try again two or three times before I saw what they were talking about. You get a big sheet with about 18 panels, each panel a different language. The install involves cutting along some premolded lines in the rear reflector, setting the lights in, and installing a connector on the bottom of the case and top of the mount plate for the electrical connection.

Sure, it looks "fine", but it doesn't look like it is part of the original design. When you have a color matched trunk it looks more like it was intended to be perched back there than it does an "add on". To each there own. Mine is galaxy blue, thank you...

Why did you chose the blue color FredW? :)

That light kit sounds like a PITA. Hmmmm, sure looks trick though and should improve visibility a lot. Does the "dual" kit have "running lights" as well as the brake light function?

Why did you chose the blue color FredW? :)

That light kit sounds like a PITA. Hmmmm, sure looks trick though and should improve visibility a lot. Does the "dual" kit have "running lights" as well as the brake light function?

You can buy the Givi E52 box with the brake light kit already install, but only in the black matte model. Other color models you have to install your own light.

Does the "dual" kit have "running lights" as well as the brake light function?

Brake lights only. I like that, it's better contrast.

The brake lights are not as bright as most think they should be. They're fine at night, not as visible by day, but the FJR's built-in brake lights are good enough by day. The additional lights on the top case makes a nice addition for night visibility. By the time you have those and reflective decals on the side cases, there's no excuse for not being seen.

I had some really neat reflective decals on my Beemer bags once upon a time. The material appeared black in daylight but lit up like a Christmas tree on steroids when headlights hit it. Uhhh, could you suggest a source for the reflective decal kit?

Thanks. I think I have reached my "Newbie-dumbazzed-question-limit" in only three days. Appreciate your patience. I finally discovered the infamous "Bin'O'Facts" link. I am such a squid. :blushing:

The brake lights are not as bright as most think they should be. They're fine at night, not as visible by day, but the FJR's built-in brake lights are good enough by day. The additional lights on the top case makes a nice addition for night visibility. By the time you have those and reflective decals on the side cases, there's no excuse for not being seen.
Has anyone checked these out: Givi LEDs link ?

Has anyone checked these out: Givi LEDs link ?
I hadn't seen that site, but I'd seen something somewhere that used white LEDs to replace the Givi bulbs in the brake light kit, for brighter brake lights. I couldn't find it when I posted, and can't find it now, trying again.

A little negative info about the Givi light kits. The electrical connection is made via a spring loaded / pressure contact system. Basically, two contacts press against one another when you put the bag on the mount.

Vibration makes them wear quickly and fail pretty early. Contact deterioration and general wear were considerable on mine in less than 15K. My brake light on my 04 was flakey, flashed a lot, and often didn't work at all. If you have this kit on your bike now, light up your brake lights and shake the topcase. It might be as lousy as mine was.

Vibration makes them wear quickly and fail pretty early. Contact deterioration and general wear were considerable on mine in less than 15K. My brake light on my 04 was flakey, flashed a lot, and often didn't work at all. If you have this kit on your bike now, light up your brake lights and shake the topcase. It might be as lousy as mine was.
Resurrecting this thread from the dead as I'm thinking about extra lights. I now have a Givi box and am wondering if this IS a real problem. If it is, I'll just get a light up license plate or bracket or something.
Alexi

Mine failed, had to pop the little contact button out and ream the hole one of the spring buttons rides in to free it up. Basically the button would compress and then jam, and the spring couldn't force it back out to keep contact. No brake lights on the top case. Since freeing it up it's been fine, but it was a PITA to do.

The pressure contact they use is, shall we say, inexpensively manufactured.

Last edited by a moderator: