Givi trunk dimensions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vibration makes them wear quickly and fail pretty early. Contact deterioration and general wear were considerable on mine in less than 15K. My brake light on my 04 was flakey, flashed a lot, and often didn't work at all. If you have this kit on your bike now, light up your brake lights and shake the topcase. It might be as lousy as mine was.
Resurrecting this thread from the dead as I'm thinking about extra lights. I now have a Givi box and am wondering if this IS a real problem. If it is, I'll just get a light up license plate or bracket or something.
Alexi
I've put about 30,000 miles on my Givi V46 brake light kit and never had a problem with it.

What I don't like about the design is that the contact point housing inside the case is held on by gravity. I have taken something out of my top case many times and pulled the contact housing out by accident.

I liked having the kit on my V46 so much I ordered one for my E55.

Installation instructions were indeed vague; however after the hell I went through putting the side racks on my FZ6 it seemed easy by comparison :\

. . . the contact point housing inside the case is held on by gravity. I have taken something out of my top case many times and pulled the contact housing out by accident.

??!?!??!

The thing snaps into my E52. I'm wondering if the cut-out piece you have to remove got cut out a little large, so the contact button didn't have a place to snap to. Guessing, but gravity isn't gonna hold it there, and it certainly wouldn't be designed that way.

Sorry for not replying earlier, I wanted to get home and take pictures for you.

This is how the brake light connects on the V46 top case:

IMG_0573.JPG

It pulls off like this, no snap, which is why it can come loose some times:

IMG_0574.JPG

As you see here (sorry it's blurry) it is really held on by gravity ... and yes, it is designed that way :\

IMG_0575.JPG

I was initially very confused by your pics, thinking you were showing me the disconnect that goes to the bike. The connector on the bottom of the case is the one I was talking about having been sticky.

Thinking about it, my lights are in the case, not the lid. Your lights are in the lid so they need another set of connectors. I'd never seen an E46 so that's news to me. I have the connector in the bottom of the case, and that's it.

I can see how you'd bump those whenever you reach into the case for something. I'd glue it down, then make some kind of guard around it to keep it from catching on stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: