GIVI V46 - install questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Got a Givi V46 for Christmas from my wife. Very nice piece of equipment.

I installed it yeaterday and I have a few questions for those of you who have already done this:

1) Did you use the foam rubber 'mouse' things? It looks like they might be intended to go around the 2 rectangular holes in the blue plastic where the mounting posts poke through. I think it looks bettter without them so I left them off.

2) Does water get in around the bracket mount posts? They original rack had pretty good rubber seals at the posts that poke through the blue plastic and on the front mounting piece where it goes under the seat. Nothing like that on the Givi rack.

3) I did not get the plastic 'security' piece and the funny looking rubber thing in my hardware kit. I read about others explaining what to do with the plastic security piece and I was thinking that maybe they had a redesign so it isn't needed. Or should I contact my supplier and request the missing pieces?

Thanks

1) Did you use the foam rubber 'mouse' things? It looks like they might be intended to go around the 2 rectangular holes in the blue plastic where the mounting posts poke through. I think it looks bettter without them so I left them off.
No.
2) Does water get in around the bracket mount posts?
Yes.
3) I did not get the plastic 'security' piece and the funny looking rubber thing in my hardware kit. I read about others explaining what to do with the plastic security piece  and I was thinking that maybe they had a redesign so it isn't needed. Or should I contact my supplier and request the missing pieces?
Can you see the latch from below when the box is in place on the base, and be able to pop it with a screwdriver? If so, you might want to install the high-tech anti-theft thingy. If not, they must have redesigned it.

-when I received my V46, I too thought they left out the plastic piece; wasn't in the parts bag. Learned from the distributor that Givi now pre-installs it, as well as the 4 rubber 'feet' on the plate; sure enough, it was all there.

Got a Givi V46 for Christmas from my wife. Very nice piece of equipment.
To which are you refering?? Your new GIVI 46 or your wife? :haha:

Honest question. Answer had better be both, or your in big trouble :angry:

I just couldn't past that one up. :der:

To answer your question, Geezer, I put one on 5 years ago, and I really can't remember how I did it!!?? :dntknw: I have the tail light and everything. I know it took me about a full hour just to get the light to work after I had it installed! I think I'm older than you. Any way, I'm too old to remember. My only excuse is I'm on medication for CRS syndrome! :fie:

CK :super1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did think it was odd that the twin-rail design lets water in. They could have boxed a small section at the bodywork and inserted through a rubber seal?

That light kit <grr>! A lot of work for so few lumens.

Geezer, Told you I forget. :dntknw: I forgot to say I installed my Givi 46 on my ST1100. :D

Say it isn't so! Sorry, but it is. I'm an FJR wantabe! :thumbup:

CK :super1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did install the little foam pieces. They keep any water being swept back by the wind from going into the holes (assuming you meant "riding" in the rain). I also stuffed some black foam (I had in the garage) into the open channel pieces. I don't get any rainwater in the FJR tailpiece.

OK, first, the nice piece of equipment I was talking about was the case. I won't comment about my wife because that can only serve to get me in trouble. :eek:

Second, thanks to all of you for your help. Without the useful technical information I get from the folks on this forum I would be very uncomfortable with some of the work I do on my FJR. Of course I would probably never have heard about many of the farkles and then I wouldn't need the technical information, and my wallet wouldn't be so thin.... :D

Third, I took a closer look at the case and rack and it appears that there is a rectangular plastic piece installed in the bottom of the plastic mounting bracket. If it were not in there it might be possible to push a screwdriver through the hole it occupies and pop the latch. The othjer rubber pieces I thought I might be missing must be the rubber pads which are installed from the factory. Loks like Givi will have to update their documentation to coincide with their changed procedure.

And finally, I think I'll try to seal off the holes in the tailpiece somehow. I will be removing the rack to paint it before the snow melts and that will give me an opportunity to play. I'll let you know if I figure out a good soulution.

OK, first, the nice piece of equipment I was talking about was the case. I won't comment about my wife because that can only serve to get me in trouble. :eek:

Second, thanks to all of you for your help.

Third, I took a closer look at the case and rack and it appears that there is a rectangular plastic piece installed in the bottom of the plastic mounting bracket. If it were not in there it might be possible to push a screwdriver through the hole it occupies and pop the latch. The othjer rubber pieces I thought I might be missing must be the rubber pads which are installed from the factory. Loks like Givi will have to update their documentation to coincide with their changed procedure.

And finally, I think I'll try to seal off the holes in the tailpiece somehow. I will be removing the rack to paint it before the snow melts and that will give me an opportunity to play. I'll let you know if I figure out a good soulution.