GIVI V46 Top Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to utilize the Yami key supplied for a Yammi box for the Givi V46 Monokey Top Box?

I find it a pain to keep track of 2 keys.

Has anyone attempted to utilize the Yami key supplied for a Yammi box for the Givi V46 Monokey Top Box?
I find it a pain to keep track of 2 keys.
I've tried. Even with a moderate background in locksmithing, I find it impossible to re-key the givi to match the yamaha key (way to much slop in the fit) or to modify the extra yamaha tumbler system to use it as a replacement in the Givi. It just don't work.

My brother-in-law has a 3500 sq. ft. house, with a detached garage and a 1500 sq ft second building, plus an RV shelter, all from being a really good locksmith. He just laughed when I showed him the keys and the box.

He did make me a second bike key, though, from a Toyota blank. It fit the boxes but was too thick for the ignition, so I had to grind it down just a **** hair, and it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an option, just remove all the tumblers from the Givi lock, then any key will open it. Since no one does that, then no one would know any key works :rolleyes:

I had the same thoughts about using the spare Yamaha lock cylinder for my V46 trunk. It's a pain to have a bunch of keys to keep track of. I keep my Yamaha key by itself on a leather key fob, it keeps me from scratching the paint on the gas tank when I get gas.

My plan is to buy a second latch plate and cam so I can try opening up the hole that the lock cylinder fits through. I think with a little bridgeport work the spare lock cylinder can be made to work. My problem is Givi has placed the part on back order. I will not risk loosing use of the trunk by modifying the parts that are currently on it.

Brodie

I have an update to this topic,

DSC00876.jpg

It Works!

A bit of lathe work, some Bridgeport work, a little finesse, and the Yamaha lock cylinder can be fitted to a Givi trunk.

The Yamaha lock cylinder is slightly larger than the metal sleeve used by the Givi lock. The tumblers are slightly wider than the Givi. It's easier to remove metal than to add.

These were the steps I used to obtain the result...

1. Purchase a second Givi latch - just in case. You don't want to disable your trunk while you do this. 50 dollars is cheap insurance.

2. Dismantle both the Givi and Yamaha lock set. Don't touch the tumblers! The goal is to fit the Yamaha lock cylinder into the Givi sleeve. The Givi sleeve is just a light press fit into the plastic latch mechanism.

3. Chuck the Givi sleeve on a lathe, bore the through hole and counter bore to accept the Yamaha cylinder.

Please note... The Yamaha lock cylinder is precious! DO NOT modify it in any way!

4. Use a coarse needle file and widen the slots in the Givi sleeve the tumblers are to fit into. This is where the finesse comes in. When you can insert the Yamaha cylinder into the Givi sleeve and turn it and remove the key easily, you're half way there.

DSC00884.jpg

4. Fit the Givi turning plate into a mill vise and bore a light press fit hole in the place of the square drive.

5. Fabricate an adapter plate ( I made mine out of some scrap brass ) to fit onto the end of the Yamaha lock cylinder. I made a shallow blind counterbore, two clearance holes for the torx screws, and a small hole for the drive pin. I then shaped the plate to fit the inner contour of the Givi turning plate. When assembled the adapter plate should give the proper fit for the lock. Too tight and the lock will bind. Too loose and the lock will act sloppy and the ball detent will not work.

DSC00883.jpg

6. Add a stand off for the turning plate to contact when locked and unlocked. If you skip this step, the turning plate will over rotate and allow the ball detent to come apart.

DSC00880.jpg

7. Assemble, and replace the latch on your trunk. It takes 2 screws on the inside of the trunk to do this.

DSC00877.jpg

Enjoy having only one key for your bike just like the people who purchased the Yamaha trunk.

That's pretty awesome work Brodie.

I took the cheap way and just used a nylon zip tie to connect the Yamaha key to the Givi key so it looks like an "L". Technically two keys, they're permanently connected, thus they are one key now.

A bit of lathe work, some Bridgeport work, a little finesse, and the Yamaha lock cylinder can be fitted to a Givi trunk.The Yamaha lock cylinder is slightly larger than the metal sleeve used by the Givi lock. The tumblers are slightly wider than the Givi. It's easier to remove metal than to add.

These were the steps I used to obtain the result...

1. Purchase a second Givi latch - just in case. You don't want to disable your trunk while you do this. 50 dollars is cheap insurance.

2. Dismantle both the Givi and Yamaha lock set. Don't touch the tumblers! The goal is to fit the Yamaha lock cylinder into the Givi sleeve. The Givi sleeve is just a light press fit into the plastic latch mechanism.

3. Chuck the Givi sleeve on a lathe, bore the through hole and counter bore to accept the Yamaha cylinder. WHAT???!?!?!?

Please note... The Yamaha lock cylinder is precious! DO NOT modify it in any way!

4. Use a coarse needle file and widen the slots in the Givi sleeve the tumblers are to fit into. This is where the finesse comes in. When you can insert the Yamaha cylinder into the Givi sleeve and turn it and remove the key easily, you're half way there.

4. Fit the Givi turning plate into a mill vise and bore a light press fit hole in the place of the square drive.

5. Fabricate an adapter plate ( I made mine out of some scrap brass ) to fit onto the end of the Yamaha lock cylinder. I made a shallow blind counterbore, two clearance holes for the torx screws, and a small hole for the drive pin. I then shaped the plate to fit the inner contour of the Givi turning plate. When assembled the adapter plate should give the proper fit for the lock. Too tight and the lock will bind. Too loose and the lock will act sloppy and the ball detent will not work.

6. Add a stand off for the turning plate to contact when locked and unlocked. If you skip this step, the turning plate will over rotate and allow the ball detent to come apart.

7. Assemble, and replace the latch on your trunk. It takes 2 screws on the inside of the trunk to do this.

Enjoy having only one key for your bike just like the people who purchased the Yamaha trunk.

Hey Brodie.............I have to admit that is some nice work, but gee whiz...................it's only one more key! What's happening to us??

I just carry 2 keys. I do not understand the intolerance/lack of patience for certain things that I see on these boards, sometimes.

That is nice work there Brodie. Not belittling your excellent work.

I understand the motivation. I think Brodie see's it as a challenge (not putting words in his mouth). My thinking is, "hey, I have the yamaha lockset for the top box, I have an aftermarket top box, I'll never buy the yamaha box, lets see if I can make this work....".

But I definitely don't have the Mad Skillz of Brodie to pull it off.

It would seem to me that someone with the right equipment (coughBrodiecough)...

Could make a replacement Givi sleeve that was ready to accept the spare Yamaha Tumber with adapter plate.

I'm quite sure there's a market for at least a dozen or so, maybe more.

:)

I understand the motivation. I think Brodie see's it as a challenge (not putting words in his mouth). My thinking is, "hey, I have the yamaha lockset for the top box, I have an aftermarket top box, I'll never buy the yamaha box, lets see if I can make this work....".
But I definitely don't have the Mad Skillz of Brodie to pull it off.
I understand the motive... but is it that big of a deal? I myself don't think so... but that's just me. Having an extra key is an "extremely" small inconvenience.

Having an extra key is an "extremely" small inconvenience.
Yes, you have right, it is small inconvenience, but as Toecutter said second key or other metal things near yammi key could makes scratches on the switch bezel. That's why I keep my Givi's key separated in my pocket, but this is a little scary that I can loose it somewhere.... :)

I changed the lock on my E52 to accept the bike's key. You don't need to put the Yamaha lock in, the key works in the Givi lock with some locksmith work on the pieces. It doesn't go in as far as in the other locks, but who cares.

And I'll tell you right now that carrying and using just one key beats the shit out of switching keys for the box. You wouldn't think so, but it does.

I was not motivated by wanting only one key, I was motivated by having lost one of the Givi keys and the remaining one broke out of the plastic, leaving me with the loose metal bit by itself. That would have been lost very easily.