Givi V47 LED Light Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riona

Reaction score
Anyone done the Givi LED light kit install on a V47 ? I have the case (nice), the kit (looks comprehensive) and the install instructions (incomprehensible) ...

A step by step "LED lights for Dummies" would be appreciated - if not the V47, maybe the V46 would be similar ?

Riona

Anyone done the Givi LED light kit install on a V47 ? I have the case (nice), the kit (looks comprehensive) and the install instructions (incomprehensible) ...
A step by step "LED lights for Dummies" would be appreciated - if not the V47, maybe the V46 would be similar ?

Riona
Here is a link to the Admore install I did on my Givi, it may be very similar.

Just FYI, I know next to squat about electricity and wiring, so best not to rely on my advice.

I spent the better part of a day installing my Givi lights on the V47. I also installed separate LED strips ($10.00 each at Princess Auto) as running lights in the lower “reflector” lenses.

The non-Givi lights worked perfectly, with no problems. Different story with the Givi stuff.

My first problem arose when I found out that the aluminum mounting plate that the dealer sold to me (based on Givi Canada’s recommendation) isn’t compatible with the electrical connection kit that comes with the lights and remote control latch. On the plastic plate, such as the one used with the SR357, there is a punch-out hole that the connector drops into. Not on the aluminum one (and in fact if you were to drill it in the required location you would drill over the edge of the plate). When I called the Canadian distributor, I got a range of responses (from the same person) from “we’ve never heard of anyone having a problem before” to “didn’t the dealer do the install for you?” to “Oh, Givi tells us that the kit is not compatible with the aluminum mounting plate, it’s not recommended that you use it, and there’s an error on the website, so…sorry.”

To make a long story short, I chose to scrap the Givi plate-to-case quick-connect in favour of a standard 5-pin trailer connector (worked great). After getting the running lights working, I couldn’t seem to get the Givi brake lights to work at all. I had planned on using the two-wire quick-connect between the bottom and top of the case to power the brake lights, but after determining that there was power to the lights but not enough (you could see the slightest glow from the LEDs if you looked very carefully in dim lighting!) I scrapped the Givi connection between the top and bottom halves and just ran hard wire up the “back” of the case (front on the bike) tucked away with black duct tape. As soon as I did that, the brake lights worked just as well as the running lights. In short, I paid $62.00 CDN for two 6-LED strips and several hours of frustration. Sadly, I’d probably do it again because you need the exact spacing of the LEDs to match the holes in the reflector.

Here’s the best I can offer in terms of the technical wiring stuff:

Tap the yellow brake light wire from your tail light harness under the passenger seat, connect that in some way to the red wire of both brake lights, then connect the black wires to ground (I hope I don’t have those reversed…). You should get brake lights at that point.

Here’s the final result (sorry I haven’t yet opened a photobucket account or figured out how to properly post pics using another method, but with luck you’ll be able to follow these links):

Running lights:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=51AD2A1FEFD74E16!545&authkey=!AAyj2nEUK2zggLk

Running and brake lights:

https://sdrv.ms/16Mbw7t

Now, if I can get the remote control latch hooked up without instantly blowing a fuse I’ll be happy.

Good luck!

G.

The V47 is really different from the E55 I worked on this weekend, but I'd just like to mention the AdMore lights were really a nice addition to the E55. Definately worth the extra money over the Givi lights.

The V47 is really different from the E55 I worked on this weekend, but I'd just like to mention the AdMore lights were really a nice addition to the E55. Definately worth the extra money over the Givi lights.
So I've heard. Unfortunately Admore's kit for the V47 is still in development. When I called them a couple of weeks ago the said it should be available around Christmas. I didn't want to wait that long.

So I've heard. Unfortunately Admore's kit for the V47 is still in development. When I called them a couple of weeks ago the said it should be available around Christmas. I didn't want to wait that long.
That's too bad. The Admores for the E55 had some really cool features.

At least Givi have switched to LED strips for the V47 - give Admore a bit of competition

I used the Addmore kit on mine and it was cake. I sure am glad I read the Forum and canceled my 10's Yamaha trunk and went with Givi. I had not realized the OEM trunk has no lights!

It is a pretty easy install IMHO and SO worth the work to have lights on your six up at a level people should not be able to miss.

The Admore kit is a wee bit overpriced for what you get. Its a couple of pieces of led strip light that you can get dirt cheap. If you're not a diy kind of person, I can understand the value of the simplicity. But if you're a cheap ass like myself :)

Its really simple to do, I've added lights to both my Wife's trunk and mine and still have leftover strip material probably for around $15ish for both trunks. There are lines on where to cut the strip material, it is labeled +/- for where to solder the wires. If you can solder even a tiny bit you could have this installed with minimal effort. On both of the trunks I used some extra strips for Brake lights and some that are always on.

Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Self-Adhesive-Waterproof-5M-Flexible-Lamp-3528-SMD-Bulbs-300-LED-Light-Strip-Red-/260981370518?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc3b3ae96&vxp=mtr

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300-LEDS-Waterproof-3528-5M-PCB-Black-IP55-SMD-Flexible-Strip-Lights-Red-12V-/150973735419?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item2326bc61fb

Last edited by a moderator:
The Admore kit is a wee bit overpriced for what you get. Its a couple of pieces of led strip light that you can get dirt cheap. If you're not a diy kind of person, I can understand the value of the simplicity. But if you're a cheap ass like myself :)
Its really simple to do, I've added lights to both my Wife's trunk and mine and still have leftover strip material probably for around $15ish for both trunks. There are lines on where to cut the strip material, it is labeled +/- for where to solder the wires. If you can solder even a tiny bit you could have this installed with minimal effort. On both of the trunks I used some extra strips for Brake lights and some that are always on.

Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Self-Adhesive-Waterproof-5M-Flexible-Lamp-3528-SMD-Bulbs-300-LED-Light-Strip-Red-/260981370518?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc3b3ae96&vxp=mtr

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300-LEDS-Waterproof-3528-5M-PCB-Black-IP55-SMD-Flexible-Strip-Lights-Red-12V-/150973735419?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item2326bc61fb
The admores are definitely pricey, but the circuitry included was cool. On the E55 there were 6 or7 LEDs per side. They were a nice bright red when tail lights turning to a bright red that pulsed when the brakes where first applied. The pulsing would not repeat until the brakes went unused for 10 seconds or so. The same red LEDs turned bright amber when the turn signal were activated. The connecting/disconnecting connecters were also first rate. All in all a nice package, which it should be for $140. Then again it wasn't my money. I just was the installer.

With all due respect to the Admore enthusiasts, just to keep this thread on-track...

The OP's question was about the Givi kit for the V47 and, unless someone has information that contradicts what Admore told me...

Sent: April-15-13 6:11 PM

To:

Subject: Re: A message from Admorelighting.com

We don't make a light kit for the V47 topcase (yet!). We expect to have one available by the end of the year.

Regards,

AdMore Lighting Inc.

877-564-8100

www.admorelighting.com"

...there is little point in discussing the benefits of Admore over other options when Admore isn't (yet) an option for those of us with the V47. I'd love to have an Admore kit, but there isn't one yet and I wanted to be lit up for a long trip this summer so I went with the Givi kit (or parts of it, as I described in my earlier post) for now.

So does anyone who knows something about electricity (unlike me) have any advice on the Givi kit?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Admore kit is a wee bit overpriced for what you get. Its a couple of pieces of led strip light that you can get dirt cheap. If you're not a diy kind of person, I can understand the value of the simplicity. But if you're a cheap ass like myself
smile.png

Example:

or

The admores are definitely pricey, but the circuitry included was cool. On the E55 there were 6 or7 LEDs per side. They were a nice bright red when tail lights turning to a bright red that pulsed when the brakes where first applied. The pulsing would not repeat until the brakes went unused for 10 seconds or so. The same red LEDs turned bright amber when the turn signal were activated. The connecting/disconnecting connecters were also first rate. All in all a nice package, which it should be for $140. Then again it wasn't my money. I just was the installer.
Had no idea they did all that, I was picturing a $.50 piece of led strip and some wires/connectors, Sounds like a nice combo with those features... Thanks for the heads up.