Giving Rick Mayer A Try

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that Russell is going to get a deluge of requests, and need a seat for myself now. Having met Rick and think he does good work too I pulled the ripcord yesterday and sent off an order.

FYI, he's offering free shipping (about 10% of the cost of a seat) and if you order leather you get a free raincover (more than 10% of the difference) until October 15.

He's also going to be at WFO-5 as a vendor and gets the Warchild stamp of approval.

Rick Mayer seats

I'm going for a dual seat job ($379) in black leather (+$150). Shipping is $35 and rain cover is $30 (which are free)

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too. I have spoken with him several times this week. Trying to figure out a ride-in date that will work for me. If not, I will do it by mail.

You riding in?

I'm going to just send in. My schedule this Fall is tough for long rides, and we're getting into that season that there is good chance of snow between here in Washington and there.....or even worse.......snow between there and here coming back.

He says he does 98% send in business and guarantees the work. If I have to send back for an adjustment I'm OK with that.

Word 1) Ride.

Word 2) In.

Word 3) Word.

Get back on the short bus Spinny, you've not yet passed 1st grade, dufus! :****:

8 Steps to Riding In to Get My Seat Made....ala Two Wheel Nut

1) Ride to Santa Barbara.

2) Visit and drink heavily at the wineries.

3) Arrive unannounced at TWN's house to stay for the night, throw up in bathroom, wake up hungover, throw up again, leave quickly so I don't have to clean up the mess.

4) Ride to Mayer's place up north and get seat made.

5) Repeat step 3 because I forgot a fifth of JD under the couch and bet he misses me.

6) Try and go back to Washington, but be blocked at Klamath Falls because of 2 feet of snow.

7) Screw it. Return to TWN's house for Winter. (insert random date they have to commit TWN involuntarily or take to jail)

8) Return to Washington in Spring after the fridge is empty.

8 Steps to Riding In to Get My Seat Made....ala Two Wheel Nut
1) Ride to Santa Barbara.

2) Visit and drink heavily at the wineries.

3) Arrive unannounced at TWN's house to stay for the night, throw up in bathroom, wake up hungover, throw up again, leave quickly so I don't have to clean up the mess.

4) Ride to Mayer's place up north and get seat made.

5) Repeat step 3 because I forgot a fifth of JD under the couch and bet he misses me.

6) Try and go back to Washington, but be blocked at Klamath Falls because of 2 feet of snow.

7) Screw it.  Return to TWN's house for Winter.  (insert random date they have to commit TWN involuntarily or take to jail)

8) Return to Washington in Spring after the fridge is empty.
Hey, if y'all wanna do a ride in at Bill Mayer Saddles next door in Ojai, mi casa es su casa, mi Viejo Número Siete es su Viejo Número Siete, mi esposa es... whoops! That won't do! However, as I offered Skooter, you're welcome to Brucie and Thad across the way. Bring your own leathers and AstroGlide, though cuz they don't share... :D

And Iggy, please use my step son's bathroom to do your puking. We won't notice the difference. :puke:

All,

I've got a question regarding saddles.

I just ordered a "WC Style" Russell for my '05.

Due to the many varying opinions here, I've been trying to reassure myself that I made the right choice. I think that both saddles are likely very well made, so that's not an issue.

However, I've only got a 30" inseam and I'm now thinking that the all foam Rick Mayer may have a lower seat height than the sprung Russell making it a better fit for me personally.

I'm just wondering if there are other borderline vertically challenged folks out there and which saddle they're using.

Cheers,

Jim

All,
I've got a question regarding saddles.

I just ordered a "WC Style" Russell for my '05.

Due to the many varying opinions here, I've been trying to reassure myself that I made the right choice. I think that both saddles are likely very well made, so that's not an issue.

However, I've only got a 30" inseam and I'm now thinking that the all foam Rick Mayer may have a lower seat height than the sprung Russell making it a better fit for me personally.

I'm just wondering if there are other borderline vertically challenged folks out there and which saddle they're using.

Cheers,

Jim
I would think that any custom builder would take your inseam into account making your saddle.

I just sent off the fax today for a Rick Mayer seat.

I am going for the solo in leather.

Seems he is about 7 weeks out.

I doubt I will be riding in Maryland 7 weeks from now but I will be set for the fall. :D

Sparky - I faxed my order on Monday and got an email reply Wed with a build date of 22 Nov - +7 - 10 days in the shop and shipping. Should have an early Christmas present!

Sparky - I faxed my order on Monday and got an email reply Wed with a build date of 22 Nov - +7 - 10 days in the shop and shipping. Should have an early Christmas present!
I actually got a phone call from the man himself. :p

Anyway, I had some fax issues my fax would ring his 6 times and then go into auto redial mode even though his fax wasn't busy I don't think it answers until 7. He must do that for some spam reason or something. Anyway the only way I could get through was to pick up the receiver and once his fax answered put the headset down and push send. I emailed him and told him my issue and he called to confirm. Pretty cool.

Yea, he said they were about 7 weeks out. I am getting the solo but sending both seats and wanted to make sure the back seat got stitched like the front and he said the ones I see on his webpage are from people who didn't send him their rear so I guess they just put the material on themselves so mine will be stitch front and rear.

I am excited to get it that's for sure. Christmas is too far away. :D