Gmail

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
I was searching for information on how to make OE or Thunderbird do a better job of filtering out the crap, and I came upon Gmail. Was wondering if any of you are using it and how it works and whether or not you thing it's worth the trouble to sign up.

I was searching for information on how to make OE or Thunderbird do a better job of filtering out the crap, and I came upon Gmail. Was wondering if any of you are using it and how it works and whether or not you thing it's worth the trouble to sign up.
If you are looking to keep the crap out of your email...nothing is better than Zoemail.net.

Try it out. My email address there is [email protected]. You can try it, but you won't get through. You will need a "KEYED" email address to reach me, thus you can try [email protected] if you want to actually get through.

I went to Zoemail, logged into my account and created a "key" for you (the fjrocket after the dot...which is after mward) so when you email me using that keyed address, it comes right in. When I get email it tells me what "keyed" address it was sent to.

For example, I place an ad on Craigslist to sell a farkle. I create a key in Zoemail and publish my ad with the email addy of [email protected]. Now anyone responding to this ad gets right in, but when the item is sold, I can go to my address book and kill the key, and thus I will never get mail generated from this ad (and the email spiders that got that address) again.

I think it is great and works as advertised. Highly recommended.

I use my Gmail for things like mailing lists, web site registrations, and other things likely to be spam generators. They do an excellent job of suppressing spam - I think I've had one obvious spam message get through out of thousands. A lot of people don't like their setup - you don't have folders, per se, but you can filter messages using various criteria (they call it labelling), then view messages by label. (Unlike a filetered folder setup, one message can have more than one label.)

I don't think I'd ever use Gmail as my primary mail reader, but for me it works as my secondary address.

I've got a gmail address and love it! If you want an invite, send me an email with the address you want it sent to. I've got 98 left to give out!

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry but this needs some clarification.

that statement is old. there are some things in it that just aren't true anymore. and it clearly states that Google has the same policies as Microsoft, Yahoo and all others. That would be because of the government and the laws they produce. And as for handing things over to the government, Google hasn't, while all the others have. now whether they are protecting themselves or their users is another issue. but this letter really came off to me as pretty slanted. they are all the same and subjected to the same laws. so use whatever you want. there is no such thing as privacy on the internet.

and they have recently added a delete button for easier usage and the spam filter actually works. and unlike yahoo and hotmail, they don't send u emails advertising their own products. nice.

I have been using G Mail for about a year. When I first got it I was like most other people....using it as a throw away E Mail account for forums etc. I have since changed my mind due to how handy I find G Mail and use it as my main E Mail account. The biggest reason is that I check E Mail from my office, my home and my laptop. It seems that the E Mail I was always looking for was always on a computer other than the one that I was currently on. Now with G Mail I have access to all the E Mail I have sent/rec in the last year.....so handy! The first time you use the E Mail search to find somebodies E Mail that you had 5 months ago you will be sold.

Rocket Man,

I do not have or use gmail but my computer consultant (18 year old son) has it, uses it, and swears it is the best. He keeps pushing me towards it but I guess I'm set in my ways with my current email. If you would like to talk to him about his experiences with gmail, he would be happy to.

Jay

I have been using gmail for a while now and find that it is about the only thing I use anymore. at first it was going to be for list or throw away stuff but now I use it all the time and so far it works well