Go Cruise Throttle Control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I wrote the article for MCN I interviewed to guy who invented the Go Cruise and he told me that the split end (that goes around the throttle grip) can be opened close to 2 inches before the composite material breaks down and looses tension. If you try this your Go Cruise will be useless but it does show how much "spring" the material has--hence it doesn't seem to slip in use.
It looks like aluminum. Do you know what it is made of? That's a lot of spring and don't quite aluminum would spread that far without keeping the shape.

Dave

The owner of the Go Cruise company told me that the material is a type of composite. Don't know exactly what but it's not aluminum.

So glad I saw this post - thanks. $20 is a whole lot better than $200.

On the slipping, looks like you can get a silicon ring for $2 on the site. I imagine that's what it's for.

I have one of these. Bought it for use on the Manstrom and/or Viffer as I have a Vista Cruise on the Feejer already. It works as advertised and easily transfers between bikes in seconds. The only "gotcha" is it can interfere with the V-strom's hand guards when not actually in use but still clamped on the bars. If you have V-strom hand guards make sure that you test that clearance is OK before use.

As for slipping, I'm just using it right on the grips, not using the black band they sent along with it. Just make sure the grip is clean of oil or grease and the friction is plenty to hold the throttle open.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's interesting is that it works sometimes and slips other times. There's no consistency as to when it works and when it doesn't. I am currently using the silicone ring that was included in the package, but tried without it the first couple of trips. I spoke to the guy that sells these and he recommended trying the electrical tape under the silicone ring. It got better after that, but still not 100%.

Now that I think about it, it looks more and more like the problem is with me, not the product :)

Ordered one today...perhaps it'll work better than the BrakeAway. ;)
+1 - mine worked about 6 times and gave up...
Yea, my BrakeAway works awesome...when the bike is up on the center stand in the garage; locks perfectly every time. Out on the road, it refuses to lock about 50% of the time.

Anyway...

Fred, how much interference are we talking about with the handguards? I actually thought about that after I ordered, lol, but I figured there's probably just enough space in there for it to swing up and down without too much trouble.

Fred, how much interference are we talking about with the handguards? I actually thought about that after I ordered, lol, but I figured there's probably just enough space in there for it to swing up and down without too much trouble.
The lever just barely hits on the V-strom. I don't have my hand guards on the FJR right now (it's in its summer configuration) or I'd fit test it for you on that.

But here is the situation on the 'strom.

100_2108H.jpg

I'd expect the dimensions to be pretty much the same on the FJR. It looks like there would be at least two ways to deal with this minor interference. One would be to trim away the offending area on the handguard. The other would be to heat that section of the guard with a hair dryer and bend the plastic guard out some. I would not attempt to remove any of the material from the end of the Go Cruise as that is the "spring" that has to flex to get the thing clipped on the grip. Better to make the hand guard fit the Go Cruise than vice versa. ;)

The lever just barely hits on the V-strom. I don't have my hand guards on the FJR right now (it's in its summer configuration) or I'd fit test it for you on that.
The Go Cruise Throttle Control easily clears the VSTROM handguard on my 2006

Thanks for the info! Mine arrived in the mail today, so I'll probably be tinkering this weekend (with BrakeAway removal).

I just picked these up this week. It does not fit over grip puppies, which I imagine can be cut or folded back. Has anyone used the Go Cruise who has grip puppies?
I actually got mine to fit over the puppies, but it didn't hold well (as you'd probably expect). I just rolled the puppy back and it works great on the grip.

I've been looking for something like this! I just ordered mine and am gonna give it a try. Went with the black one to match the grips.

I'm about 3,000 miles into the SCMA USA Four Corners Tour and the Go Cruise has worked perfectly.

There have been times when I've set it to hold the throttle at 75 mph and it's held the speed as well as the Throttlemeister on my CBR1100XX ever did.

Mainly, I've set it so that I can just rest my right hand on the grip without having to exert any pressure to keep the throttle open or when I want to grab the tube from the hydration system from the side of my gas tank.

When I want to close it, I just quickly snap the throttle off and then I have complete manual control over the throttle.