Go Pro Camera

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inlaw1

Reaction score
In case you don't know what a Go Pro is,you can go here and check it out. I really like these things and think it would come in handy for some great shots on an upcomging 12 day CO, AZ, UT ride we're doing.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with them and how to mount them on the FJR? What might be the best way? The package says it comes with assorted mounting hardware, I'm wondering if that will be enough to mount it to the FJR properly?

Any input would be appreciated.

Get thy self over to Google, then copy this: "go pro" site:fjrforum.com and paste it into the search bar. Be sure to include the quote marks. Enjoy.

BTW, "Has anyone ever...." is almost always YES, and quite often at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a friend that just traded up to a 3D 1080p model, he had the SD before so he was satisfied enough to stay with it. Seems kinda bulky to me as I would want a smaller helmet mounted version.

Filming a ride in 1080p HD 3D on my 75" LaserVue would look sweet tho!

I don't think you will have any problem mounting it to the FJR, there have been a few on here that uses Go Pro Cams. I REALLY want to get a camera like this but I'm torn between the Go Pro and the Contour ROAM.

My experience is it's not easy to find a "vibration free" position to mound a camera on the FJR (or really any bike for that matter).

You can get software that will smooth out vibrations, but it's always going to kind of be "fabricated" if u know what I mean. If you go to the very end of this vid and look carefully, you'll see the entire vid look "wavy" as opposed to steady, which is what it should be at this point.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=h-ilxAZjo8I

Maybe those of us taking the vid are more critical, but finding a place on the bike is a pia, especially concerning vibration.

Get thy self over to Google, then copy this: "go pro" site:fjrforum.com and paste it into the search bar. Be sure to include the quote marks. Enjoy.

BTW, "Has anyone ever...." is almost always YES, and quite often at that.
I agree. You end up finding nuggets like this thread....that we really don't want to retype for yet another thread.

P.S. It's GoPro without a space. This will help you your searches immensely. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
have this mount:

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems-RAM-B-166-202AU-Universal/dp/B003ASPH48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342545598&sr=8-1&keywords=ram+suction+cup+mount

love it. way better than the gopro one as it allows full articulation of the camera and very stable/strong suction. I always run a thin safety lanyard, no matter where i mount mostly for the unplanned getoff, i want to find the camera, if possible.

GaRoller, a member here has vast experience and his videos are phenomenal.

Plenty of info on this site as has already been stated above. I have 2 GoPro HDHeros and love them, but they mostly get used in sporting events, mountain biking, Tough Mudder, snorkeling and water skiing, etc.

Some great ideas for motorcycle mounting can be found here: Pashnit GoPro mounting ideas....l

I got a GoPro Hero 2 for fathers day and I love it. I usually mount it on my helmet. I put mounts on both the top and left side of the helmet, and I will probably put a mount on the right side as well. I also installed a ram ball on the mirror mount by the clutch reservoir, but I have noticed some vibration there. I am using a 6 inch arm though, and that seems to amplify it. A shorter arm would be better. I haven't tried the suction cup yet but I will. I would recommend you get there "grab bag" of mounts to give you more options. You can get lots of accessories at Amazon.com.

I have taken several hours of video. I need to sit down and edit it into a movie...

I bought most of the packages of GoPro mounts by GoPro. The handlebar one clamps nicely to the mirror arm but the windshield movement can interfere with it if you are not careful. But the big problem, all of the GoPro official mounts I have found stack in a way to make 90degree turns only. Therefore, on the sideview mirror arm, I cannot get the camera facing straight and level since these mounts require a clamping point which is paralell or perpendicular to the direction of the bike. Last night I ordered some "tripod head" units to see if that will allow me to mount it straight.

Suction cup works good on the tank facing forward so u can see ahead as well as the gauges. Ill try mounting it on lower fairing this weekend

In case you don't know what a Go Pro is,you can go here and check it out. I really like these things and think it would come in handy for some great shots on an upcomging 12 day CO, AZ, UT ride we're doing.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with them and how to mount them on the FJR? What might be the best way? The package says it comes with assorted mounting hardware, I'm wondering if that will be enough to mount it to the FJR properly?

Any input would be appreciated.

I've got me a GoPro and use the car mounting thingy, because for my liking the provided Hardware is rubbish, or in other words,supporting GoPro to buy more cameras, as you will loose them... of its provided Velcro.

Here are a few pics:

8094245399_ba9abac2ca_c.jpg

8094245267_282e46707f_c.jpg

8094245127_8d76b01f8e_c.jpg

What I like on the car mounting set is, that the suction cap does hold up to 100 mph.... whoops did I write that out loud *ROFL, since the FJR has a few even places, enables you to choose, I usually put her center, so I can enjoy the twisty's better.

Making her totally vibration free would mean you have to use a contraption which counters the vibra's from the bike, much like hollywood uses with their "free floating" camera..... Yet I found the vibrations tolerable, as I'm mostly interested in how did I take those nice turns.

You might also look at some of the alternatives out there as well. Contour has a very nice, less bulky camera. Less bulk means some features lost, but they also have some nifty features available not on the GoPro, like gps logging on some models. I'm not trying to sway anyone from the GoPro, but you should know that you have options. GoPro has been more saturating on their marketing so their name is definitely out there.

You might also look at some of the alternatives out there as well. Contour has a very nice, less bulky camera. Less bulk means some features lost, but they also have some nifty features available not on the GoPro, like gps logging on some models. I'm not trying to sway anyone from the GoPro, but you should know that you have options. GoPro has been more saturating on their marketing so their name is definitely out there.
The Contour takes great video. My buddy rides with one. But what Contour doesn't offer is the remote control. I have that on my ChaseCam and it makes it much nicer. Otherwise with long videos, they tend to never get watched, cut, or have anything done with them. The GoPro will also take still shots with the remote, which is what you're trying to capture a lot of times.

The Contour is way better quality than my ChaseCam, but my next one will be a GoPro.