Go Pro Camera

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might also look at some of the alternatives out there as well. Contour has a very nice, less bulky camera. Less bulk means some features lost, but they also have some nifty features available not on the GoPro, like gps logging on some models. I'm not trying to sway anyone from the GoPro, but you should know that you have options. GoPro has been more saturating on their marketing so their name is definitely out there.
The Contour takes great video. My buddy rides with one. But what Contour doesn't offer is the remote control. I have that on my ChaseCam and it makes it much nicer. Otherwise with long videos, they tend to never get watched, cut, or have anything done with them. The GoPro will also take still shots with the remote, which is what you're trying to capture a lot of times.

The Contour is way better quality than my ChaseCam, but my next one will be a GoPro.
Not sure what you are looking for when you say remote control, but from their website:

MOBILE CONNECTIVITY OUT OF THE BOX
Use your mobile device to preview your shot before and while you’re recording, as a remote control, or to tweak your camera settings in the field.

https://contour.com/products/contour-plus-2

Last edited by a moderator:
The new GoPro 4d camera should be out before Christmas. I am going to wait and get this one.

1350422555.png

GoPro now have the iPhone App that gives you the ability to use your iPhone as a monitor and to control the camera from your iPhone. You need the WiFi bacpac option but I have used the new app with my Hero2 and like it a lot.

I haven't made up my mind over the GoPro remote control.. As I found almost $100 or almost half of the price of a camera to buy an accessory is quite a step expectation from GoPro, which I found doesn't really justify it. I do it different, I start recording when I want to, keep it running and after the ride, I take snapshots/stills from the movies I just created, so I don't get distracted while riding.

The new GoPro 4d camera should be out before Christmas. I am going to wait and get this one.
Boy what an overkill, wouldn't want to ride with that much gear on my head...... My wife has a GoPro on her CanAm as well, so we have pretty much all angles we can come up with, additionally I've got a small "key fob" cam on my helmet.

In case you don't know what a Go Pro is,you can go here and check it out. I really like these things and think it would come in handy for some great shots on an upcomging 12 day CO, AZ, UT ride we're doing.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with them and how to mount them on the FJR? What might be the best way? The package says it comes with assorted mounting hardware, I'm wondering if that will be enough to mount it to the FJR properly?

Any input would be appreciated.

I use the rollbar mount for my GoPro 2 and attach it to the frame slider on my FJR; the videos are awesome with no visible vibration on playback. The rollbar does not come with the camera and will have to purchased separately; about $25 or so. Overall this a pretty cool little camera and there are some nice accessories (extended battery, LCD back, wifi/remote) that really enhance the performance of the camera and its usage. I like the GPS function on the Contour camera but it is not a necessity for me.

Not sure what you are looking for when you say remote control, but from their website:

MOBILE CONNECTIVITY OUT OF THE BOX
Use your mobile device to preview your shot before and while you’re recording, as a remote control, or to tweak your camera settings in the field.

https://contour.com/products/contour-plus-2
Can't really get my phone out while riding. Then the touch screen with gloves on top of that doesn't work too well either. My ChaseCam is pretty simple. Press once to start recording, light turns red. Press once to stop recording, light turns green. I have it zip-tied to the handlebar.

OK, here is the stupid question of the day. How do you charge the battery in the gopro camera? I had it connected to my computer via the usb cable for about an half hour and never looked at the little battery indicator. When I went to use it, it was dead. How long does it take to charge?

OK, here is the stupid question of the day. How do you charge the battery in the gopro camera? I had it connected to my computer via the usb cable for about an half hour and never looked at the little battery indicator. When I went to use it, it was dead. How long does it take to charge?

Quote of the day - There are no stupid or dum question, just stupid or dum answers LMFAO.

Easy fix, the GoPro has a little battery door in the rear, if you happen to have the screen pack, wifi pack or else accessory attached to it, dis-attached that first, then you will see the outline of the battery door, open it like in a cell phone and tada, you've got the battery in sight.

The charge takes about 1 - 2 hours and holds for about 1 hour and change.

Here's the GoPro with the display attached:

8097100599_a721ba24a0.jpg

Here's the GoPro with the display dis-attached:

8097108708_952ed88c89.jpg

Here the outline of the battery door:

8097100333_c6733b6fc7.jpg

Here's the battery exposed:

8097108452_3a21950d91.jpg

pick up a reasonably priced used one.
Been having a conversation on another board about the new GoPro camera and the usual talk of upgrading came up. One guy threw out that he's upgrading from his Hero HD to the 3 and dropped a darn good price for it and all the goodies in the motorsports pack.

I'm picking it up tomorrow. :D

That didn't take long. Five minutes after I got home and played with my GoPro first gen HD, I already wanted to upgrade to the Hero 3 black. :D

From what I can tell, the gen3 GoPro is slimmer than the gen1, I would bet more bells, faster and such.

I'm happy with the gen1's I have, gives me all I want to record my rides on the twisties....

What's its shortcoming(s)?
The new Hero3 Black has the WiFi built in so you no longer have to charge the WiFi backpack separately for those of us that have the WiFi option. The new camera also has a better lens offering less distortion (less fish-eye effect in wide angle mode). The new camera also will shoot bursts of jpegs at up to 30 frames per second and also has higher resolution modes in video and higher frames per second allowing for better slow motion video.

To me the main upgrades are the lens and the built in WiFi. With the old Heros you were limited to a little under 2 hours of power due to the WiFi pac. Now with the optional battery pac on the Hero 3 you should get much longer recording times. Also not having to charge 3 separate items (camera, bacpac & remote) will be better.

The new lens and better sensor (12 Megapixel) should make for better photos but I'm still of the belief that if you want to take photos you should be using a proper still camera. I don't plan on giving up on my Nikon D300 any time soon but I'm old and set in my ways.