GO pro

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Angus
Reaction score
I have been thinking about a Go Pro Camera but they are expensive is there any others that work well at a lower price.

What do you use to attach the GoPro to your bike? Is the suction cup strong enough? Does it leave a mark on the paint?

Personally, I've been pleased with the performance of my Sports-Vue 360*. Lower profile and it comes with numerous mounting options and Video quality looks the same. Did have one weak Li-Ion battery(still usable) outta the 4 I received.

I've got the GO Pro on special when they brought the new fancy model out, so the price went drastically down to $120....I mount my GOPro on to my bike, using their car kit, that suction cap is ultra strong and being mounted mostly upfront can take easily 80+ mph. The very only downside I see on her is the battery pack life, so either directly connecting to the power outlet in the aux box or buy a larger battery pack. Else this camera is the best on the market. Check eBay there're tons of cams for sale...

V

RPK

I have been looking at the Contour+2 camera. I can't say its much cheaper but it does have some cool features. It has bluetooth built in where as the GoPro you have to buy an attachment. You can bluetooth it to your phone or pad and use it as a view finder and/or wireless controls for the camera. The Contour has GPS built in also. I do think the GoPro has a better picture quality than the older Countours but they really stepped up and brought their quality up to compete with GoPro with the +2 camera.

What do you use to attach the GoPro to your bike? Is the suction cup strong enough? Does it leave a mark on the paint?
I have used the suction cup w/o marks on the paint but always worried it may fall off so I added RAM mount and now it won't go anywhere.
That comment right there will send Bust directly to the hardware store!*

*Disclaimer: It is acknowledged the above post is off topic, has no redeeming value to this thread and suggests some here are into Bestiality, but it's FRIDAY!
bleh.gif

I have a GoPro and actually use it from time to time, but I haven't bothered to take the time to edit the video and make it watchable. Maybe some day...

Anyway, there was a comparison in Car And Driver a while back that may be helpful for ya: Car And Driver Clickarooney.

I bought an original Hero used, when friends were rushing out to buy the Hero2. It works great mounted on my helmet (the one on the big head - it's Friday
smile.png
) + my son is using it for snow boarding with a chesty harness.

GeorgiaRoller provided a great link to mounting ideas. https://www.pashnit.com/product/gopro/gopro_mounting.html

Go for it!

Al
cold.gif

The Ego from Liquid Image seems to be an interesting alternative to the GoPro Hero3. With the free app, ActionConnect, for iOS and Android, the camera can stream live view, let you view recorded photos and videos, or act as a remote control to activate the camera. If my wife hadn't surprised me with a GoPro Hero3 White Edition I probably would have gone for the Ego . . . and I don't even own or want a smart phone.

EGO_large.jpg

Here is a video of roads in the United Arab Emirates that was shot with the Ego.

Of course, what is really cool from Liquid Image is their true point of view cameras that are mounted into goggles and face mask.

ALL_SPORT_large.jpg
Video_MASK_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Drift Innovations Stealth HD camera. I have been very pleased with the quality of video and photo's it takes. I have some video posted on my FB site - have a look if you wish - https://www.facebook.com/stirling.bates?ref=name#!/media/set/?set=vb.100000131674248&type=2

Two of the feature I really like about the Drift camera, that the GoPro did not have at the time of my purchase, and that I have found extremely useful, are: (1) the lens rotates so that the lens can be set to be level with the horizon even if the camera itself is not level with the horizon, and (2) it has a remote control, so the camera can be switched between standby mode and record mode by pressing a button on the remote control - very easy to use !

Drift has come out with a newer model recently - the Ghost. Worth a look!

Sorry, I forgot to mention two other things that may be of interest ... I have the camera mounted on a RAM ball .. on the left handlebar of my Wing, and a centre mount between the handlebars on my FJR (purchased from Motorcycle Larry), and ... the Drift camera is highly water-resistant in it's standard case, and does not require an extra waterproof case, so less stuff to have to pack.

good info, I like that liquid vision. A friend of mine has a gopro he uses while diving and loves it. I didnt know we had this many choices.

Since I have the Hero 2, I didn't read the reviews or comparoes, but here's my input on the GP. First, it's clunky in shape, kind of a PITA to carry around in your pocket or anything but having it mounted (and you may want to take it off the bike if you walk away for lunch or anything). There are lots of mounting options but all have some kind of a weakness. The suction cup has worked ok for me, but I still have a safety cord tied off on the bike, just in case. There are very few places on an FJR ('05, anyway) where the plastic is flat and wide enough to get the cup on. IMO, the Ram Ball is the best bet, but ALL the mounting options require purchase of extra parts of some kind.
angry01.gif

The video quality is very good, at least in daylight. There is distortion though--the fish eye effect. The apparently simple two-button operation is a freaking total pain in the ass, at least I found it to be. There are many many recording modes and controls, speeds, etc., and to access them all with two buttons you have to become VERY familiar with the whole long menu of commands. When the thing is mounted on the bike, and the tiny tiny little window that shows you where you are in the menu is facing away from you, there is no way you can go to what you want to do, if you want to make a change, without stopping, getting off, and getting your face right in front of the camera. Even the "off or on" selection is a matter of faith when you're riding. Hold down a button until a tiny little beep lets you know it's on--with an accompanying flash of a tiny little red light. A light that's extremely hard to see in daylight, while riding a motorcycle, and a beep that's more than extremely difficult to hear in the wind, with a helmet, on a motorcycle. And especially if you happen to have a high frequency hearing loss. Did it come on? Am I recording? Did it turn off? Am I still recording? Ease of use: about 3 out of 10.

Mine cost $399 with a few accessories. It has since come down at least $100, and more and better accessories are being included. But I'd still look for something that's much easier to use, especially while riding.

With their small lenses the prime enemy for action cams is light which is why you see perfect or stable lighting conditions for action cam promotions. Typical motorcycle videos have difficult light - going from bright to shaded areas with many different angles to the sun and where I am, the wooded mountains, the light is atrocious. This is where GoPro has the edge over competitors. Their lenses, sensors and high internal bandwidth handle poor and variable light better than anyone else. Though of primary interest to professionals and advanced amateurs, the newer model GoPro's can even create the equivalent of raw data files for fine tuning the video in post processing.

The apparently simple two-button operation is a freaking total pain in the ass, at least I found it to be. There are many many recording modes and controls, speeds, etc., and to access them all with two buttons you have to become VERY familiar with the whole long menu of commands. When the thing is mounted on the bike, and the tiny tiny little window that shows you where you are in the menu is facing away from you, there is no way you can go to what you want to do, if you want to make a change, without stopping, getting off, and getting your face right in front of the camera. Even the "off or on" selection is a matter of faith when you're riding. Hold down a button until a tiny little beep lets you know it's on--with an accompanying flash of a tiny little red light. A light that's extremely hard to see in daylight, while riding a motorcycle, and a beep that's more than extremely difficult to hear in the wind, with a helmet, on a motorcycle. And especially if you happen to have a high frequency hearing loss. Did it come on? Am I recording? Did it turn off? Am I still recording? Ease of use: about 3 out of 10.
For MSRP $80 you can purchase a WiFi remote operation wrist strap and accessories for your H2 with display and glove friendly buttons. I did and it works great. It also enables an iPhone or Android app that gives you a real time view through the lens plus remote operation from the phone. This is included in the price of the H3.

I gotta say i love the GoPro's, I am actually thinking about getting one of the new ones to see if there is a difference.

Also the wireless remote is a big help.

I used mount mine on my sliders (on the 08) with GoPro's roll bar mount like this.

https://vimeo.com/30891334

Now i use the sticky pads and mount to my helmet i also use a 90 degree bracket mounted to the front fender bolt and a ram mount on the triple clamp.

Helmet
https://vimeo.com/54091396

Front Fender

https://vimeo.com/56407257

R

Fairlaner, Love the skateboards! If you want to totally get rid of the wind noise try a remote mic. I'm using a Sony ECM DS70P taped to the tank. You can't put the mic too close the camera or it'll feed back with a ticking sound.

https://vimeo.com/49644206

Oh, and the H3 is more of the usual upgrades - better lens, better sensor, more internal bandwidth plus the WiFi is built in. Really nice images. I don't have one (yet).