going to CO and NM in 2009!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrpro

Reaction score
I am looking to rent a FJR or Kawi 14 in Denver and drive 7 days or so thru CO and NM. Looking for tips on great roads south of Denver and north of Roswell. Thanks FjrPro.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking to rent a FJR or Kawi 14 in Denver and drive 7 days or so thru CO and NM. Looking for tips on great roads south of Denver and north of Roswell. Thanks FjrPro.
sounds like a great trip.

I just returned from a (car) trip to Santa Fe, Taos, etc. last week and for a lot of the driving I was salivating about retunring on my feej.

I don't have it here, it is at work, or I'd give you more info on a scenic byways guide that I read about here and ordered on line.

I'm sure if yo udo a search on scenic byways here on the forumyou will get info on how to order. It has great roads in almost every state, CO and NM included. In CO, I'd recommend you slide over west of Denver and then south. You can hit a lot of pretty roads that way.

The guide I mentioned is a great source, includes maps, etc. And it is free.

good luck on planning an awesome trip!

Lee

Just wondering where you've been able to rent an FJR. We have family visiting next summer who want to rent a bike and currently it looks like they may be renting a Harley, but I'm sure they would much rather rent a sleek FJR than a Harley.

Eric

Can't help with the renting, but as always, I recommend Colorado State Hwy 149 between Lake City and Creede. The scenery is not as dramatic as 550 (Million Dollar Hwy) but IMO there are more smiles-per-mile to be had. Less traffic and fewer LEO's. Look me up if you're in the area.

If you come to the northern part of the state (CO) Trailridge is nice, traffic can suck though. Between Granby and Santa Fe I can give you lots of roads to ride that I take every time I go down to visit family.

Hwy 9 from Kremmling through Breckenridge is good.

The road from I-25 south of Raton NM across the mountains to the south of Taos is good. There is a road from Taos to Santa Fe the back way that is also good. I will look up the road numbers and post them later.

The road from Antonito Co, to Chama NM is another nice road.

Neal

Winterpark to Durango,Colo.

Winterpark,Co. / 40-E / 6-W (to Keystone) / 6-W (to Dillon) /Dam road (to Frisco) / 9-S (to Breckenridge) /9-S (to Fairplay) / 9-S (to 285-S) /

285-S (to24-W:to 24-W to Buena Vista) / 24-W (toBalltown) /82-W (over Independence pass)(to Aspen) / 82-W (to 13-S;to Maroon Bells....take pic's double back on13 to82-W) / 82-W (to Carbondale) / 133-S (to Redstone) / 133-S (to Paonia)(eat) / 133-S (to mcClure Pass / Somerset / Hotchkiss / 92-E (to Crawford)Out of way fun road/ and views) / 92-E (to 50-W) / 50-W (to Cimarron) / 50-W (to Montrose) / 550-E (to Durango)

M/C rides Colorado

( 1 ) 93 (between boulder and Golden),take 46 W (Golden Gate Canyon Road),119 NW(right)take to Nederland.Pike up 72 NW,to T-Junction.left on 7 to Estes Park.Then if you want you can return home by going to lyons.But if you want to spend all day you can go over Trail Ridge Road(if open)and take it to Winter Park,and over to I-70 back to Denver.

( 2 ) Take 285 out of Denver SW.and follow to 126 SE (left).(This is my fav.) It's called,Pine junction,though Pine,and Deckers.All the way to Colorado Springs,and then I return on the same road to Denver.Or you can shoot up I- 25 if it wore you out.Boring.........

keep them coming>>>>>>>>> I am planing 7 days and may add a day. Thanks for all the great roads

+ 1 -- not to be missed. Here's a map:

3080498126_83b312815a.jpg

Take I-70 west out of Denver to CO91 south thru Climax to Leadville (look out for Barney in Leadville).

Turn left on CO24 at Leadville to Balltown. Turn right on CO82 at Balltown past Twin Lakes and up to Independence Pass, then on to Aspen.

P8290427.jpg

Be very careful on the Aspen side of 82, it can be hairy/scary!

Stay on 82 till you get to Carbondale, then turn left on CO133 thru Paonia State Park to Hotchkiss.

Then make a left on CO92 and you'll go thru one of the most beautiful places in CO and that is Black Canyon of the Gunisson.

P7240385.jpg

Stay on 92 till you get to CO50, make a left and head to Gunisson.

Keep on 50 and go over Monarch Pass.

After that you're on your own.