Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cartires and Dynabeads......time to get me a cross, a wooden stake and some garlic!
You left out the naked and willing (female) virgins.....
Good luck with the virgin thing.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
Naked and willing is close enough for this bunch.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
I was thinking we'd need someone to serve the garlic and stuff all those little beeds in the car tires.

Cartires and Dynabeads...

...time to get me a cross, a wooden stake and some garlic!
Come to the darkside, we have cookies. Or so I'm told.
You didn't get cookies? Dang, I'm sorry. A guy on a Kawasaki forum gave me cookies, up in Vermont.
Is that code?
HA! Nope, no code. I went DarkSide for the first time for a slab-infested ride with Ken the HD Guy to Lake George, NY much like EOM/NERDS/etc. on this forum. Met the guy near Bennington,VT during a leisurely ride, he actually stole a small box of chocolate chips cookies from his "devil children". Nice surprise from a "stranger", know what I mean?

Well the double dark works on the FJR just like it did on the ST. I don't know how or why it works but double dark is so much better it's actually really hard to believe. I have a Bridgestone BT-45 130/70/17 rear tire on the front of my FJR and it works WAY better than a PR-2 in the 120/70/17 size.

The BT-45 isn't as good as a PR-4 in the wet but it's pretty dang good. And the last one I used lasted 29,600 miles before I took it off the ST.

Does this make me DD#1?

DD has been done, but I don't recall if they wanted it noted.😄

Last edited by a moderator:
playinatwork posted: Well the double dark works on the FJR just like it did on the ST. I don't know how or why it works but double dark is so much better it's actually really hard to believe. I have a Bridgestone BT-45 130/70/17 rear tire on the front of my FJR and it works WAY better than a PR-2 in the 120/70/17 size. The BT-45 isn't as good as a PR-4 in the wet but it's pretty dang good. And the last one I used lasted 29,600 miles before I took it off the ST. Does this make me DD#1?
Dude. This is the FJR Forum. Ain't much new to this crowd. OK, so there's a 6th gear now. That's new. Yippee.

coolsmiley02.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
playinatwork posted: Sorry, I searched the forum and couldn't find where anyone tried it before.
Just giving you shit, bro. Hope to see you again before the BMR rolls around next year.

Sorry, I searched the forum and couldn't find where anyone tried it before.
By coincidence, I was reading again about DD on another forum, and could not recall seeing any posting here. I was about to ask the question........

OTOH, I suppose one could try a BT-45 on the front with their M/C tire on the back........ but that mixes bias ply with radial........

Crash and burn.. take video!
Do you have any idea how long people have been asking and waiting for that video?
rolleyes.gif
You'll be old and gray before that happens. There are well over one million miles of FJR Darksiding already, and Double Darksiding is nothing new. The Wing guys have been doing it for decades.

The Bias ply nature of the BT-45 does explain playinatwork's tire mileage though. Bias will beat Radial nearly every time in the longevity game. I run bias sometimes on my Super Tenere, (50/50 tires), and get excellent handling, traction and longevity with them. Even ran the IBR on a set of 50/50 bias ply tires because I couldn't find anything else that would go the distance under those conditions. No issues.

The Bias ply nature of the BT-45 does explain playinatwork's tire mileage though.
I removed the BT-45, flipped it, and remounted it backwards halfway thru to expand the life and remove the scalloping. Have I mentioned how much of a cheap bastard I am?

If you are running a car tire you owe it to yourself to try a rear tire on the front. It makes that much of a difference. I really disliked how the FJR handled with the car tire and the PR-2 front tire. Now it handles so much better. Just remember to wave as you go up in a ball of flames.

I had the front fender off and had no troubles putting the tire on. It looks like the fender will rub but it doesn't. The bike rides about 3-4mm higher and as small as that seems, surprisingly you can feel it.

The only 2 tires I have used in the DD are the BT-45 and the Michelin Pilot Activ for the ST1300. Both the Bridgestone and Michelin scallop to the point that you will pull them off before you run out of tread. But I like that Dunlop. Maybe the Dunlop will be better, time for you to take one for the team here it looks like.

And why didn't someone tell me to use Murphy's Oil Soap for a tire lube 30 years ago? That stuff is way better than anything else I've ever tried.

Here's my new dilemma. Put the Gmax on and now have a slow leak at the bead where they put the upc sticker in the bead. Has anyoune experienced this? And what do I do?

Here's my new dilemma. Put the Gmax on and now have a slow leak at the bead where they put the upc sticker in the bead. Has anyoune experienced this? And what do I do?
Usually a remove and good cleaning of the rim will solve that. Kind of a pain to do now that you have it mounted. Some good tire goo on the bead won't hurt either. Take it back to the shop that mounted it, (unless you did the mounting), and see if they will attempt to correct the issue.

Latest posts