Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are now 3 darksiders. The third will post up soon with some pics, and he's a Gen II bike also.
This disease is spreading quicker than the swine flu.

We need a vaccine for it.
Sutherland-body-snatcher.jpg

There are now 3 darksiders. The third will post up soon with some pics, and he's a Gen II bike also.
This disease is spreading quicker than the swine flu.

We need a vaccine for it.
What was it Iggy said? Oh yeah, Eighty Days, (bitch). Of all the people here, you two boys should be doing this ASAP. Losing sleep to change a tire at a checkpoint during the IBR is lame if you don't need to do it. And no one should DNF for a tire issue, that would be down right sad.

Aren't most of LDR's in a straight line anyway?

I mean the main perceived fear of a CT seems to be cornering, so unless the LDR is looping through the tail of the dragon 1000 times, a CT sounds very viable to me.

Aren't most of LDR's in a straight line anyway? I mean the main perceived fear of a CT seems to be cornering, so unless the LDR is looping through the tail of the dragon 1000 times, a CT sounds very viable to me.
LD rides can be strait, but aren't necessarily so, they just last longer. And rallies, of which the Iron Butt Rally is the biggest, baddest, longest of them all, nearly always send riders up twisty, gnarly, nasty roads, including dirt/mud/sand/rock to test their mettle. And I agree, unless it's seriously twisty like the dragon, all the time, a CT isn't going to slow anyone down. The IBR's claim to fame is that riders average 11k miles in 11 days. You can't do mileage like that if you're always on dragon type twisties, but make no mistake, they will be on some fantastic roads, and some real disaster ones too.

One of the rule changes this year is no outside assistance that would allow the rider to do something else or rest. Used to be you could pull into a checkpoint, check in and have your friends swap your wheels, run wheels over to a shop for a tire change, look over your bike and basically act like a pit crew for you while you did scoring or slept, routed, etc. No more. They can still help, but you better be right there too, doing the same work, or you're likely to get penalized.

I know both Iggy and Scooter have extra wheels. Simpler to swap, but it still takes time. Their time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta post to say: "I am Impressed"

I did belong to the "Use only same brand/design front/rear" school of thought.

But the posted practical experience, plus placing 3rd at Spank, seems like a positive thing. Also, stressing that rider awareness and skill sets need to be adapted is appreciated.

Thanks for the mind expansion.

Sportster

Orrrrrr...........
Yet another sane, normal person read the entire turd of a thread, and STILL has the same question many of us have. :huh:
Says the only person to have wrecked almost as often as moi! :blink:

[SIZE=8pt]At least I use different types and brands of bikes![/SIZE]

The short answer: Because he can, is able and willing to. So there! :bleh:

Yet another sane, normal person read the entire turd of a thread...
Why would a sane, normal person even do that? Talk about a contradiction in terms....and where do you get off professing any knowledge of sane or normal behavior? :****:

Why???????????? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
And yet ANOTHER expert checks in without reading the thread. :glare:
Orrrrrr...........

Yet another sane, normal person read the entire turd of a thread, and STILL has the same question many of us have. :huh:
Your analysis would be acceptable except for the use of the multiple question marks and "wacko" smileys. This implies more than a simple interrogative. It implies a denigration of the concept/execution.

Plus, my mind simply boggles at the thought of YOU using the words "normal" and "sane".

Hey! Friday is OVER!

So you all can't dogpile me!

:****:

neener - neener - neener!

"The dark side" is what the folks in the scooter culture call sticking a car tire on their Burgman. Its pretty funny. Those folks would skin a gnat for the tallow. In the scooter culture car tires work as well as bike tires, but have 5 times the life. In the scooter culture Amsoil rules. In the scooter culture tall windshields do not cut your gas mileage. In the scooter culture ethanol has the same energy content as straight run gasoline. The laws of chemistry, physics, thermodynamics, even mathematics do not apply in scooter culture.
:rolleyes: Interesting. You seem to be awfully up to speed on scooter culture there El Toro. Is there something you'd like to get off your chest big boy?

Next you guys will be telling me what a flaming death I'm going to suffer since I have a fuel cell on the bike. :dribble: And how bar risers reduce the rider's ability to control the bike. :unsure:

I've approached this whole issue with a sense of humor. I'm fine if someone thinks it's funny that I, or anyone, would try this. Doesn't mean I'm not still trying it though. The point is to learn, not just tell people what some other guy on some other bike thought might happen, maybe.

Never fear, I think some of you are just as wacked out. :wub: Like the ones that can't get more than 3-4k out of a tire. ;)

You might take nothing away from this thread except a laugh. And that's not bad. Or you might someday find the info helpful in a tight spot. Who knows, in the end, you might just be tempted to try it yourself. Since, you know, someone else was crazy enough to try it first and tell you about it. :grin:

And thanks to the admin that moved this to where it belongs, in the NEPRT section. :yahoo:
Just curious--do you notice any change when walking the bike around? Is it harder to maneuver?

OK seriously, what kinda mileage are you guys getting out of a front.

I get about 7,000-8,000 out of a rear Strada and I usually can't get a front Strada to last two rears.

What's the word on a high mileage front?

Pilot Roads?

Pilot Road 2's?

I'll order a CT tomorrow if I could throw on a front that'll do 15-18K.

OK seriously, what kinda mileage are you guys getting out of a front.I get about 7,000-8,000 out of a rear Strada and I usually can't get a front Strada to last two rears.

What's the word on a high mileage front?

Pilot Roads?

Pilot Road 2's?

I'll order a CT tomorrow if I could throw on a front that'll do 15-18K.
That's the million dollar question right there.

While I can get 10k out of a PR2 rear and the front still "looks" good, at that point I don't much care for it so I tend to change them in pairs.

I've yet to have any front not be horrible after 10k...

On the other hand fronts are mucho cheaper and quite easy to change. So still might be an option...

Gentlemen, Google is your friend.

PR2 site:fjrforum.com

Let's please allow this thread to continue on topic about Eric's journey into using a car tire. There are plenty of other threads about tire mileage (Again, Google is your friend.) with opinions and information about different brands.

Thank you ever so much.

Gentlemen, Google is your friend.PR2 site:fjrforum.com

Let's please allow this thread to continue on topic about Eric's journey into using a car tire. There are plenty of other threads about tire mileage (Again, Google is your friend.) with opinions and information about different brands.

Thank you ever so much.
WTF, forum nanny... That's directly related. Putting a high mileage tire on the rear is great, but what to do about the front is another issue that's part of the equation.

I'm thinking I may try this in the near future.