Going to the Sun Highway

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota_c69

Reaction score
Going to take a mid week overnight ride. Riding out of Calgary and I am thinking about doing the Going to the Sun Highway and staying overnight then riding back the opposite direction towards home. Any tips on good places to stay, eat, ride, see, experience, etc??

Going to take a mid week overnight ride. Riding out of Calgary and I am thinking about doing the Going to the Sun Highway and staying overnight then riding back the opposite direction towards home. Any tips on good places to stay, eat, ride, see, experience, etc??
Last year my husband and I took a trip that way. We stayed at a campground a few miles south of the southern entrance to the park. They had tent, RV and camping cabins. It was a nice place and not too expensive. There are lots of choices so I don't think you'll have a problem. There was road construction going on the Going to the Sun Hwy so be prepared. I'm sure they aren't done yet! I enjoyed the ride going north but not enough to turn around and go back the other way. Instead we took a little hwy south, I think it was hwy 89, that was fun to ride and quite scenic. Be careful though. They have open range there and there were cows and horses on the road! We love that part of the country so enjoy!

One of the more interesting thing about that highway is the number of turnouts that are motorcycle friendly. Watch for them, they are "unofficial" and just the right size for a bike to fit into, out of traffic. I'd go East to West as that way the turnouts are on your right against the cliff face. West to East has a drop off on your right side.

I just got back from a ride through there. I don't know of any good places to stay because I had a hook up where I stayed an a private ranch up in the hills bordering the park. I had more fun riding the 4-wheelers up in the mountains than actually going through the park.

The park is still going through construction, but it doesn't take too long to get through it. Rather than going back through the park, I would suggest taking Hwy 89 and 49 going from st. marys to east glacier. It is very nice ride, but as said before, watch for open range cattle and horses. I encountered both. From east glacier you can just hop on 2 and go down and around the park back to west glacier, that's also a nice ride.

If you have a chance and some extra cash to burn, check out helicopter tours in west glacier. I went on the 1 hr tour, you'll get some awesome photos of the park.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 4 attempts I finally made it it in '04: https://www.molaver.org/gnp1.htm

If it weren't so damn far I do it again tomorrow! The road is really awesome and so it the hiking. I'm a girly man about hiking alone in bear country so I only did a few small trails.

Have a great time

btw I stayed about 15 mile west of the park - I forget the name of the town but there were plenty of reasonable motels (I think the one I stayed at was called 'Cheap Sleep' - & was clean & friendly (and cheap). The town also had a great bbq restaurant!

lol - got to love the internet - I found it! https://www.cheapsleepmotel.com/

My wife an I went through there in 07 and stayed at Many Glaciers Lodge in East Glacier. Great place and not bad price. You can google it.

I went over last month. I tent camp, so I stayed at a KOA campground on the east side of the park on the way up to Alaska. KOA's have cabins if interested? The Road to the Sun was still closed in June, because of a mud slide. They would only allow vehicles up 13 miles. On my return from Alaska, I camped at a KOA on the west side(have cabins) and rode up to Logan's pass. I have been over twice before, but what a neat ride.

Bigfork MT is quite nice. Good restaurants abd bars. Not exactly sure about lodging, but I'm sure there is some. Bigfork is about 45 miles south of the GNP west entrance.

gallaries_DSCN3368.jpg

Caged going to the sun west to east two weeks ago after WFO and loved it. Did 1/2 hour helicopter ride and saw awesome sites. +1 to the helicopter suggestion if money allows. Later I rode 89 North to Calgary on the bike and agree it is the way I would go to get to GNP heading south. The route down around the southern tip of the park was OK but anti-climactic, IMHO -- but I have no alternate other than driving the sun road bac in reverse. Good luck. Construction was prevalenton the sun road, but OK as it gave chances to stop and take pictures.

Great Falls had a convention when I was there. No rooms. I stumbled onto Cascade, Montana a few miles south. The first motel on the left exiting Rte 15 was just refurbished, all new and quiet for $50 a night. It has a diner out front for a quick early morning chew and screw -- it opens at 0600. If you are in the area I recommend it. Sorry I don't remember the name, but small and two stories @ 12 rooms.

On the west side I was a guest in a condo, so I have no suggestions.