Good one or two piece do-all suit....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
Right now I've got CE armor (bionic jacket from alpinestars I believe) that I wear under jackets for the winter.

I've got a jacket (can't remember the brand....wanna say joe rocket) that is very breathable for the summer (or I'll wear the bionic armor over a long-sleeve T-shirt).

I have a froggtogg suit that I wear over everything when it rains.

I'm PLANNING on getting bohn armored pants to wear under my jeans on rides.

I SURE would like to simplify and just have some sort of suit I can wear over my clothes that would work in warm or cool weather (I don't mind changing clothes or liners), and in the rain, that has CE rated protection for the upper and lower body.

I have heard time and time again that aerostitch suits are pretty much the pinnacle of daily commuters and long distance riders. But it's also way up there in price.

Is there anything pretty comparable? I'm talking from 30 degrees to 100 degrees riding (I can wear sweatshirts and other stuff in cold weather, so I guess warm weather tolerable is more important), and something I can just put over my clothes and take off wherever I'm going and hang it up in the closet.

Alexi

EDIT - I saw there's a used aerostitch for sale in the classifieds, and I PMed, but this is also information for a suit for my wife too. And I'm not sure if that suit will fit me.

Last edited by a moderator:
This past spring, I bought the First Gear Rainier TPG jacket https://www.newenough.com/protective_appare...cle_jacket.html

and Escape pants https://www.newenough.com/protective_appare...ycle_pants.html

I've been very satisfied with the fit, comfort and waterproof capabilities; have not crash tested them and don't intend to. If I were going for a one piece, I'd seriously consider the Olympia Phantom https://www.revzilla.com/product/olympia-ph...one-piece-suit#

I fail to see the attraction for the Aerostitch suits; I returned a Darien suit years ago for a refund. Stiff as a board, poor fit and lousy sealing at the crotch and zippers.

I've been eyeing those olympia phantom suits......everything looks very attractive on it. Looks like a good value.

I like my set up: olympia air glide mesh pants (best fit I found for when your inseam is longer than your waist is around) with sep waterproof thermal liner. Have a hein gehrke mesh jacket that also has a sep thermal waterproof liner. the jacket is grey and black the pants are black. The armor is in the jackt and pants, not the liners. In summer it is no liners and wear the mesh stuff over shorts and a T. In the winter I just add a couple more layers then do the liners and mesh on top.

I wear (and have crash-tested twice) a Cortech mesh jacket and Tour Master Venture Air overpants. Jacket attaches to pants at the back. Gear is usable in Florida heat (as long as you'r moving and have airflow, of course . . . .) and has 2-stage waterproof and thermal liners. My personal low temp is 25, and I was comfortable. I have a Tour Master Defender rain suit. (Had one when I got the bike, scuffed it in my first crash, got a Sentinel, which leaks like a sieve, replace with another Defender.)

Jacket and pants pack into the top case at work. In the summer I wear a t-shirt and carry my work shirt, sit in front of a fan for a few minutes to cool off before changing shirts.

Right now I've got CE armor (bionic jacket from alpinestars I believe) that I wear under jackets for the winter.I've got a jacket (can't remember the brand....wanna say joe rocket) that is very breathable for the summer (or I'll wear the bionic armor over a long-sleeve T-shirt).

I SURE would like to simplify and just have some sort of suit I can wear over my clothes that would work in warm or cool weather (I don't mind changing clothes or liners), and in the rain, that has CE rated protection for the upper and lower body.

I have heard time and time again that aerostitch suits are pretty much the pinnacle of daily commuters and long distance riders. But it's also way up there in price.

Is there anything pretty comparable? I'm talking from 30 degrees to 100 degrees riding (I can wear sweatshirts and other stuff in cold weather, so I guess warm weather tolerable is more important), and something I can just put over my clothes and take off wherever I'm going and hang it up in the closet.

Alexi

EDIT - I saw there's a used aerostitch for sale in the classifieds, and I PMed, but this is also information for a suit for my wife too. And I'm not sure if that suit will fit me.
Well Alexi I can only share with you my experience from over the years of using leather 2pc suits and textile 2pc suits then I rode with some guys with the Aerostich roadcrafter 1pc suit. I thought to my self that was the best piece of riding gear I have ever seen. It is so easy to put on and take off. In the summer months I can wear shorts and a tshirt and be comfy. In the colder months I can layer up with a heated vest and still be comfy all while using the same piece of riding gear. If you wash it and spray it with waterproofing it will keep you dry. I haven't got the wet crotch yet(I'm sure the bike has alot to do with this) and I put 10k miles on my bike this year wearing my Stich. But like you it took me a long time to part with the cash to buy one. So I searched ebay day after day and finally find my size and bought a slightly used one for alot less than a new one and ever since I did I have been asking myself why didn't I buy one along time ago. I won't ever own any other riding gear but a Aerostich roadcrafter. Also Aerostich does all kinds of alterations for a very good price so you can get a perfect fit.

Eric

Is there anything pretty comparable?
I won't try to repeat what 'VTFJR13' just said but will offer a parallel anecdote to exemplify an issue:

Years ago I bought cheap (and not-so-cheap) rainsuit after rainsuit and often got wet anyway. Eventually, I spent the money for a Rukka and was dry for a decade (never needed another rainsuit). I easily spent more (total) on the cheap suits.

I even donated my Rukka to a rider friend -- it was still good, I just wanted to move-on. :rolleyes: :)

Hey,

I bought an Olympic suit last spring and for the money I think it was worth it. I normally wear an XL but thought a 2XL would fix better with clothes underneath it. I should have stuck with the XL. I have been through some extreme weather from serious rain to 90-100 deg. heat and it is very water proof and well ventilated. I just don't think one suit will cover every situation though. I suit is kind of a hassle to get in and out of, the velcro is very strong at first but seems to be getting better with use.

Bill

If you like the Roadcrafter and I love mine, you can buy from their sale section here. First call them and work with them on measuring yourself to find out what size your looking for. Riding to their showroom for a fitting is the best but something tells me a ride in from Bagdad might be out of the question. The sale items are usually custom order returns, irregulars, a training garment or showroom/display/catalog models. I've bought most of my Aerostich clothing from the sale racks.

There is a New Textile Suit on the Market,Tiez MS

Very reasonably priced.

I bought the Version 1 Vented suit last June, Very satisfied with the fit, well vented. First time in the rain I had some leakage but it was mostly due to not having the velcro flap done up properly. Second time in the rain no problems.

I highly recommend them and they have an updated suit out now incorporating a lot of User Driven updates.

If you are ineterested in a one piece, the Teiz suits (teizms.com) have been getting really good user reviews at both ST.N and ADVrider and the price is nothing short of amazing.

The owner (co-owner? designer?) Ghazi is pretty active on both forums and is literally improving the suit by popular demand with each new version. There are several examples on both threads where several people asked for something new, and he changed it on their suits and all the rest after that. From what i understand he's already got a line on the new gore-tex storm zipper that zips like a freezer bag.

All the standard 'I'm not affiliated' stuff applies, I'm just pretty impressed with the level of customer service he's shown and the impressions by people who own them.

EDIT: Bearly Flying just beat me to it.

I'm a big fan of Belstaff, now Brittish Motorcycle Gear (BMG). They have a European waterproof certification. To get that they have to withstand a fire hose blast for what I believe is an hour without letting a drop through. Many have complained about a wet crotch with the Aerostitch line, that won't happen with BMG.

https://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com

I have the Mercury Jacket and Ezeon Pants now. I had been using a Discovery jacket but found that over 80 degrees I could not keep cool. The Mercury is not as warm but can stay comfortable well in to the 90's. The low temp is not an issue for me as I just put on a heated liner.

They do not have any distributors in the US but they come to all the motorcycle shows or you can buy online.

For what it is worth to you...

There are a number of great textille suits out there. As far as I know, there is only one made made in the USA and that has been extensively "tested". Also a standard of the cycle touring and cycle press groups.

For a few extra bucks, I would gladly (and have) support a "local" business especially on a world-class product.

jus sayin....my protection comes from Duluth!

mr.paul from Minnesota

I will place money that the CyclePort jacket and pant offers the best protection of any suit commercially available while being reasonably affordable. Not as comfortable as textile, but after the break in period, they are more than tolerable, actually comfortable, just not *cushy* comfortable. I've been in and out of my CP daily for over 1.5 years now and everything still works. The suit can be zipped into a 1 piece if desired.

I did not buy the CP liners cause I am cheap. Instead, I'm currently using an old liner from a TourMaster Flex and a Widder vest from 1991. I'm hoping soon to have toe-to-neck WarmNSafe coverage, which will make this suit good from 10F to 110F. IMHO, YMMV. At least take a look at them, find someone who has one, look at the quality, the armour then imagine yourself sliding down the highway on your arse at 72 mph and needing to make alot of heat to slow down.. :eek:

I find that I can dress for the cold...

...but when it's 39-40 degrees and yer going through 6 inches of rain on the way to Arkansas, the rain will find a way over yer collar at the back of yer neck and drip down your back. :blink:

I can dress for the cold with my Tourmaster Flex suit with Nelson-Rigg raingear...but cold and driving rain...oh well. Some trips in October are just like that...

DSCI0724.jpg

Then again, June can be a little cool if you're at altitude...say at the top of Beartooth Pass

DAY32009CFR001.jpg

Right now I've got CE armor (bionic jacket from alpinestars I believe) that I wear under jackets for the winter.I've got a jacket (can't remember the brand....wanna say joe rocket) that is very breathable for the summer (or I'll wear the bionic armor over a long-sleeve T-shirt).

Alexi

Well Alexi I can only share with you my experience from over the years of using leather 2pc suits and textile 2pc suits then I rode with some guys with the Aerostich roadcrafter 1pc suit. I thought to my self that was the best piece of riding gear I have ever seen. It is so easy to put on and take off. In the summer months I can wear shorts and a tshirt and be comfy. In the colder months I can layer up with a heated vest and still be comfy all while using the same piece of riding gear. If you wash it and spray it with waterproofing it will keep you dry. I haven't got the wet crotch yet(I'm sure the bike has alot to do with this) and I put 10k miles on my bike this year wearing my Stich. But like you it took me a long time to part with the cash to buy one. So I searched ebay day after day and finally find my size and bought a slightly used one for alot less than a new one and ever since I did I have been asking myself why didn't I buy one along time ago. I won't ever own any other riding gear but a Aerostich roadcrafter. Also Aerostich does all kinds of alterations for a very good price so you can get a perfect fit.

Eric
+1 Go with the 'Stitch. May seem spendy right now but they wear like iron. And I'm good to go from about 30 to 100 with some layering and electrics. My suit is 14 years old with some zipper replacements and periodic washing and re-waterproofing. Well over 100,000 miles with a LOT of really bad weather included

I'm in the suit on the right, the guy on the left just bought his

P9260010rev01.jpg

+1 Go with the 'Stitch. May seem spendy right now but they wear like iron. And I'm good to go from about 30 to 100 with some layering and electrics. My suit is 14 years old with some zipper replacements and periodic washing and re-waterproofing. Well over 100,000 miles with a LOT of really bad weather included
I'm in the suit on the right, the guy on the left just bought his

P9260010rev01.jpg
Yours has "street cred" that just makes it more valuable. :rolleyes:

I'm another for the 'Stitch, also in blue, also bought off EBay. But if I were in the market again I'd seriously consider the Olympia. It's a bit thinner in proportions but the one Rick for the WbW eval was really super.