Good one or two piece do-all suit....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used my Roadcrafter 2-pc (gray with red) for 13 years before it flat wore out (stitching on velcro patches unraveled, the GoreTex began leaking, etc.) I'd have bought another but for the price. I'm currently using an Olympic AST jacket (hi-viz yellow!!) and Ranger pants which I have found to be a pretty good replacement for the 'Stich for a lot less money. The quality isn't up to 'Stich standards (there are loose thread ends, one snap had to be replaced by me, etc. which you would not find on a new Roadcrafter) but it's an all-weather riding suit, not Brooks Brothers. Good ventilation, very waterproof (if you are careful about closing the vents and cover flaps) with lots of pockets.

No matter what suit you buy, I recommend the hi-viz yellow. It really makes a difference. <_< :hyper:

pete

Right now I've got CE armor (bionic jacket from alpinestars I believe) that I wear under jackets for the winter.I've got a jacket (can't remember the brand....wanna say joe rocket) that is very breathable for the summer (or I'll wear the bionic armor over a long-sleeve T-shirt).

I have a froggtogg suit that I wear over everything when it rains.

I'm PLANNING on getting bohn armored pants to wear under my jeans on rides.

I SURE would like to simplify and just have some sort of suit I can wear over my clothes that would work in warm or cool weather (I don't mind changing clothes or liners), and in the rain, that has CE rated protection for the upper and lower body.

I have heard time and time again that aerostitch suits are pretty much the pinnacle of daily commuters and long distance riders. But it's also way up there in price.

Is there anything pretty comparable? I'm talking from 30 degrees to 100 degrees riding (I can wear sweatshirts and other stuff in cold weather, so I guess warm weather tolerable is more important), and something I can just put over my clothes and take off wherever I'm going and hang it up in the closet.

Alexi

EDIT - I saw there's a used aerostitch for sale in the classifieds, and I PMed, but this is also information for a suit for my wife too. And I'm not sure if that suit will fit me.
At first I just tossed out an alternative option to a Roadcrafter, but after really reading your post, I had some thoughts...

1) You're never going to be comfortable with armor under jeans. Plus, jeans shred like crepe paper on the asphalt. Not a good choice for 'serious rides' I dont wear jeans for anything further than 10-15 miles from home like riding to dinner or a movie. I often wear real riding pants while running errands.

2) Get some dedicated riding 'leg coverage' and wear something comfy under them. Street clothes under riding clothes is not a recipe for all day comfort in the saddle. it's just the price of doin business. Cycling shorts or something that can't bunch or wrinkle is best. I understand riding to work in ACU's is sketchy, and for this a one-piece suit is a good option, but pants and a jacket works just as well and is not any harder to take off. Plus, a 1pc is hard to store at work.

3) IIRC, youre stationed in the south right? It wont get very cold down there. Have you considered a good mesh jacket that has a removable windliner + heated gear? Several mesh jackets come with CE armor and hold up very well in a get off. The internet rumors of them disintegrating is untrue.

I use this setup in Colorado and have been comfy down into the upper 20's indefinately. when it gets hot, strip down to a wetted long sleeve Tshirt and the mesh is awesome.

I'm not knocking a stich... (I've been watching e-bay for about 18 months now for one I like) I'm just thinking that you might be able to broaden your options a good bit by stepping back from the one-piece.

For a completely different perspective...

Olympia Airglide II jacket and pants with liners that are waterproof and insulated. I ride in all extremes... Cold temps...low teens and twenties with minimal additional layers. 100 plus temps - liners out and the mesh outer lets plenty of air through to keep you cool. Going on three years and 45K so far - one complaint is that the velcro is starting to weaken.

I'm a big fan of Belstaff, now Brittish Motorcycle Gear (BMG). They have a European waterproof certification. To get that they have to withstand a fire hose blast for what I believe is an hour without letting a drop through. Many have complained about a wet crotch with the Aerostitch line, that won't happen with BMG.
https://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com

I have the Mercury Jacket and Ezeon Pants now. I had been using a Discovery jacket but found that over 80 degrees I could not keep cool. The Mercury is not as warm but can stay comfortable well in to the 90's. The low temp is not an issue for me as I just put on a heated liner.

They do not have any distributors in the US but they come to all the motorcycle shows or you can buy online.

+1 on the Belstaff (British Motorcycle Gear). The Discovery jacket is an incredible fall/winter/spring jacket that keeps you warm and dry (I love the collar design with the attachable neck cover/wind/rain deflector....very nice), and it has good reflective and protective attributes and tons of pockets/storage. I agree with DaJuice that it is not my favorite jacket in warmer weather over 70-75 degrees.....too warm.

100% happy with my Olympia Phantom.

Been down to the twenties and up to the eighties. All good. Wet dry whatever.

It takes a minute or so to get on or off, but it's worth it.

Lot's of "threads" on this subject already. (pun intended). I'm in agreement with DonC. I like the Cycle Port gear. I run the mesh gear with the liners which are necessary for rain and wore this gear in 118 degree temps near Redding Ca. with average temps at 100+ on the way to WFO8 this year with no problem. Work very well by keeping one cool. I do admit when I stopped for fuel I ran cool water over my entire body and helmet to cool, but the mesh worked even better in the extreme heat by doing this.

Best part about these are they are made out of a Dupont/Lycra material which is 10 times stronger than leather and won't cause you to seek the hospital for possible skin grafts due to burns on the skin from melting nylon after a get-off. They are pricey but you won't regret it if your serious about the gear.

I also own a pair of Bohn under-pants which I've also used mainly on the Harley for many years. Going on 8 years and they have not worn out. Very good protection with the tail-bone pad which I like very much. I also bought a pair of their armor shorts which I wear under the Cycle Port gear and they're great in the summer as well. Painman. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
At first I just tossed out an alternative option to a Roadcrafter, but after really reading your post, I had some thoughts...1) You're never going to be comfortable with armor under jeans. Plus, jeans shred like crepe paper on the asphalt. Not a good choice for 'serious rides' I dont wear jeans for anything further than 10-15 miles from home like riding to dinner or a movie. I often wear real riding pants while running errands.

2) Get some dedicated riding 'leg coverage' and wear something comfy under them. Street clothes under riding clothes is not a recipe for all day comfort in the saddle. it's just the price of doin business. Cycling shorts or something that can't bunch or wrinkle is best. I understand riding to work in ACU's is sketchy, and for this a one-piece suit is a good option, but pants and a jacket works just as well and is not any harder to take off. Plus, a 1pc is hard to store at work.

3) IIRC, youre stationed in the south right? It wont get very cold down there. Have you considered a good mesh jacket that has a removable windliner + heated gear? Several mesh jackets come with CE armor and hold up very well in a get off. The internet rumors of them disintegrating is untrue.

I use this setup in Colorado and have been comfy down into the upper 20's indefinately. when it gets hot, strip down to a wetted long sleeve Tshirt and the mesh is awesome.

I'm not knocking a stich... (I've been watching e-bay for about 18 months now for one I like) I'm just thinking that you might be able to broaden your options a good bit by stepping back from the one-piece.
Turns out this post hit home with the spots I put in bold, and this combined with a few others' recommendations of going with separate pants/jacket combo is the route I took.
So I'll be wearing my Vance mesh jacket, I have a wind/water resistant liner and thermal liner (albeit from a different jacket, but it still fits underneath), and I just bought Firstgear HT Air 2.0 overpants that have a wind/waterproof liner. I can (hopefully) slip these on over my PT shorts in the morning, and the ACU pants for the work day, as well as wear them whenever I go out for something else.

Thanks for the tips.

Alexi

You'll have no problems sliding riding gear over ACU pants, I used to do it all the time. I think they actually fit under better than jeans do.

If half of what I've heard about HT air pants is true, you'll be very satisfied with them.

Having a 2pc allows me to grab the jacket to run to the grocery store. Do you really wanna walk through Safeway weaing a Roadcrafter? 'Cause I'm not leaving it at home...

I find that I can dress for the cold...
...but when it's 39-40 degrees and yer going through 6 inches of rain on the way to Arkansas, the rain will find a way over yer collar at the back of yer neck and drip down your back. :blink:

I can dress for the cold with my Tourmaster Flex suit with Nelson-Rigg raingear...but cold and driving rain...oh well. Some trips in October are just like that...

DSCI0724.jpg

Then again, June can be a little cool if you're at altitude...say at the top of Beartooth Pass

DAY32009CFR001.jpg
Can I ask if you turned around .......................... :)

There is a New Textile Suit on the Market,Tiez MS
Very reasonably priced.

I bought the Version 1 Vented suit last June, Very satisfied with the fit, well vented. First time in the rain I had some leakage but it was mostly due to not having the velcro flap done up properly. Second time in the rain no problems.

I highly recommend them and they have an updated suit out now incorporating a lot of User Driven updates.

Here's a great review with pics, on the second Generation "Lombard" suit: Clicky

I will place money that the CyclePort jacket and pant offers the best protection of any suit commercially available while being reasonably affordable. Not as comfortable as textile, but after the break in period, they are more than tolerable, actually comfortable, just not *cushy* comfortable. I've been in and out of my CP daily for over 1.5 years now and everything still works. The suit can be zipped into a 1 piece if desired.
I did not buy the CP liners cause I am cheap. Instead, I'm currently using an old liner from a TourMaster Flex and a Widder vest from 1991. I'm hoping soon to have toe-to-neck WarmNSafe coverage, which will make this suit good from 10F to 110F. IMHO, YMMV. At least take a look at them, find someone who has one, look at the quality, the armour then imagine yourself sliding down the highway on your arse at 72 mph and needing to make alot of heat to slow down.. :eek:
I gotta agree with you on this one Don but he asked for cheap and Cycleport taint cheap. But then again you can't put a price on skin grafts.

I love my Cycleport suit.

After countless jacket and pant combos , I finally pulled the trigger on a RoadCrafter (red as that was my size on the sales rack) specifically for a trip from Houston to Alaska and back. The RoadCrafter is worth the money mainly for ease of getting into and out of.....10-seconds as they state. Breaking it in was a test of patience as a friend put his on and returned it figuring it would never soften up. After 15k miles mine is still stiffer then my other jackets but does provide confidence of sliding protection in the event of a crash. Note, it is not waterproof in a moderate shower as your crotch will quickly get wet and you seem to always forget to zip up the huge side access after gas stops allowing rain to soak your hips before you realize it. After all day riding in hard rain I will get wet around shoulders as well. It is noted that the easy access zippers are a compromise in waterproofing. I hated the Olympia suit as the tri fold material and velcro caused me to sweat to death before I ever got it on. I found wearing a one piece rain suit over the RoadCrafter is a perfect combo for 30-100 degree weather. It takes discipline to keep the stich on in 100 degrees but ice in the pockets will actually make you chilly.