Goodbye Trusty FJR, hello Super Tenere

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also been going back and forth between the FJR and Tenere but with wife wanting a Can Am I may have to wait a few more years. Could not agree more with the OP after riding both bikes a few weeks ago. Moving to Colo before long which may mean the Tenere.

Congrats Dragonfly! I did the same thing the end of July, except I'm keeping the FJR.
Gotta have the right tools in the toolbox...
punk.gif

--G
Ya, I wanted to keep both... Finances wouldn't allow it. Dang house remodeling!

I am thinking that I would look at that new FZ-09 in a few years. Get a good used one maybe for $4-5K.
I hear ya...houses are bad as bikes when it comes to sucking up $$$. With the new pricing of the FZ-09 you won't be waiting long to pick one up!

Good luck.

--G

Congrats Dragonfly! I did the same thing the end of July, except I'm keeping the FJR.
Gotta have the right tools in the toolbox...
punk.gif

NicePair_zps0f4db4e4.jpg

--G
I'm thinking of selling my Triumph S3 and replacing it with a Tenere or Explorer. I keep thinking that having an FJR and S10 would be redundant. Are you finding them different enough to justify keeping them both, or do you see one of them to start collecting dust and just sit around (like me S3)?

Great bikes. I worked with a shop and built two into police bikes. It took me a bit to get used to a liter on the dirt but soon I was comfortable there. Big help was always bringing the air pressure down. I was always surprised at how quick that bike was. Hope to add one to the collection some day. Can't part with the FJR so will have to add one some day whey they come down a bit.
2011-11-07_16-46-52_486.jpg

Like the Black and Whites! San Diego County Sheriff? I'm coming out there Nov 4-7. Maybe I will spot one of these.
Hopefully not in your review mirror!

--G
I'm thinking of selling my Triumph S3 and replacing it with a Tenere or Explorer. I keep thinking that having an FJR and S10 would be redundant. Are you finding them different enough to justify keeping them both, or do you see one of them to start collecting dust and just sit around (like me S3)?
Still early enough in the romance that I see each bike with a different purpose. IMO, the S10 will never be as comfortable munching miles as the FJR is...that's not what it's made for. Both are / will be set up for two-up touring, the FJR will be the LD high speed smooth road bike and the S10 the slower (relatively) speed, rough road mount. Think northern BC, Yukon, Alaska, etc. for the S10. Living in the PNW, we're close enough that short trips over the border are always in the works.

That's the plan anyhow...we'll see how it works!

--G

--G
Still early enough in the romance that I see each bike with a different purpose. IMO, the S10 will never be as comfortable munching miles as the FJR is...that's not what it's made for. Both are / will be set up for two-up touring, the FJR will be the LD high speed smooth road bike and the S10 the slower (relatively) speed, rough road mount. Think northern BC, Yukon, Alaska, etc. for the S10. Living in the PNW, we're close enough that short trips over the border are always in the works.

That's the plan anyhow...we'll see how it works!

--G
Well, as it worked out, as of today I'm a Tenere owner as well. What started out as curiosity about one bike led to another. I purchased a used white '13 with 436 miles. White was without a doubt my favorite color on the Tenere so when I found this one I decided to pull the trigger. It's bone stock so I'm sure I'll be making it tour ready.

The FJR is staying without a doubt. I LOVE that bike. The Triumph S3 is going up on the block asap.

Can someone tell me which forum provides the best info on the Tenere? I've been on this site for almost 10 years and it's been invaluable.

Well, as it worked out, as of today I'm a Tenere owner as well. What started out as curiosity about one bike led to another. I purchased a used white '13 with 436 miles. White was without a doubt my favorite color on the Tenere so when I found this one I decided to pull the trigger. It's bone stock so I'm sure I'll be making it tour ready.
The FJR is staying without a doubt. I LOVE that bike. The Triumph S3 is going up on the block asap.

Can someone tell me which forum provides the best info on the Tenere? I've been on this site for almost 10 years and it's been invaluable.
Congrats! Most of the inmates from here are at Yamaha Super Tenere Forum. Tons of information, you'll recognize a lot of folks over there.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:

Congrats! Most of the inmates from here are at Yamaha Super Tenere Forum. Tons of information, you'll recognize a lot of folks over there.

--G
and just to make it easy: www.yamahasupertenere.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add a little perspective on owning both bikes and seeing if one gets ignored or not.

I have a 2004 FJR and a 2012 Tenere.

I have riddin the FJR on my first SS1000 while kicking off a National Parks Tour as I find it to be a bit more comfortable on very long highway days. I few weeks latter I really got into the National Parks Tour with a one week run from Indiana west to Missouri , south through Arkansas,Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida. North through Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and back west to Indiana through Tennessee, and Kentucky.

A few weeks after that it was the FJR again for all points east from Indiana to Maine hitting every state east of Indiana.

I have owned the Tenere for over two years now and can say the FJR is not going to get sold and have looked at getting a newer FJR but will hold off as my 2004 is running great.

I ride today with friends and may take the FJR for a little better wind protection .

I have a FJR and a Tenere and my choice of ride depends on the roads to be ridden. As already stated, the Tenere is not a match for the FJR as a highway mile muncher, even after I upgraded the Tenere's suspension, but it excels on rough roads with broken pavement and potholes and obviously would be the choice for anything off pavement.

Looks like I have the perfect combination of bikes. I just regret that I don't live close to great Tenere roads. To get to decent riding grounds from Dallas is always quite a haul. I'm hopeful I'll learn about more options regarding local rides over on the Tenere forums.

Looks like I have the perfect combination of bikes. I just regret that I don't live close to great Tenere roads. To get to decent riding grounds from Dallas is always quite a haul. I'm hopeful I'll learn about more options regarding local rides over on the Tenere forums.
There's plenty of Texans on YST...make sure you talk to Tabasco...

I have both and I agree for long mile days tip the scales toward the FJR. Tenere gets less MPGs,requires premium and has less range. Tenere is real smooth unless the engine is under load accelerating, pulling a hill or head wind.

I enjoy the wind protection of the FJR until I figure out a better shield for the S10. I'm happy I own both so I have the option to explore. The S10s traction control already got me out of being stuck in a deep gravel pit. I'm sure a non TCS equipped bike would have been dug in

Huh.

I thought I was the only one that owned both.

I changed out for a larger windscreen, then added the side wind deflectors and a Corbin seat.

Dropped the front 1/2" and the rear 1". Hacksawed off the kickstand, then welded the plate back on.

129Slayer_zps4bfc5419.jpg