Google Maps to GPX

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungie

FrostBack #2 - IBA # 44620
Reaction score
GMap2Gpx

Very Handy...

I was playing around with routing last night and came across this utility that converts Google GMaps to .gpx files, allowing you to import them directly into MapSource. Simple to use, just draw your route in Google and click the link it installs in your tool bar. Its entirely javascript based so you don't even have to install an exe on your computer.

Have fun!

Well, I know if its fun or not. It took a bit of trying since I'm not good at following instructions. Once I copied and pasted the info into Note pad and saved as .txt or .gpx (both worked) I was then able to open mapsource, then file open. Then the maintnance starts by recalculating the route then getting rid of some of the points in the route to clean it up. I haven't tried it in the GPS yet.

I know this is an old thread - but today i found this useful app and a video that explains how to get Google maps to a Garmin GPS

the app is called tyretotravel and here's the how to video - It is by no means perfect with all the waypoints GM creates, i ha dto delete them in tyre to travel but it seems to work

I've been a user of this utility for many years. My advice: Do not export/import into your GPS directly.

The routes will be very messy due to the differences in map locations between Google Maps and the GPS and the viapoints are excessive and annoying.

Instead, import the GPX file into either Mapsource or Basecamp and then massage it before using the transfer utility to push it to your GPS. You can remove many of the viapoints and the route will still track the way you wanted it to, plus you can move the viapoints that you need to the closest minor intersection (pick ones that you will be going straight through) and the GPS will not announce the intersection viapoints or show them on the screen if you are using a Garmin Zumo GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is an old thread - but today i found this useful app and a video that explains how to get Google maps to a Garmin GPS

the app is called tyretotravel and here's the how to video - It is by no means perfect with all the waypoints GM creates, i ha dto delete them in tyre to travel but it seems to work
The instructions on that video have a problem. When the Tyre import dialogue box comes up defaulted to to "Route Tracks" change it to "Waypoints". Then, you'll have just the waypoints you created in Google Maps without all the extra track points to delete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. I use that one all the time too.

It's how you can make interactive Google Route maps for the folks who don't like GPSes. To publish the route you'll need somewhere to host them. And also need to get an API key from Google, but there are instructions on the web site on how to do that

As an example, here the interactive map I made for the 2013 SE Ohio routes:

2013 SE Ohio East and West Google Map