got my 2006 FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

818Guy

Reaction score
Just got back from the dealership after picking up my 2006 FJR1300AE. My initial thoughts:

1. It is SO freakin’ hot in Los Angeles today.

2. There is some “jerky-ness” when starting in first gear. It’s more of a sensitive throttle issue than anything; I do believe in time I will get used to it. I had some starts from a light that were really smooth and then others not so smooth.

3. She is fast... really fast. Rolled the throttle a tad in a 35 zone to get around a car and the next thing I was going 60. I’m going to have to be more aware of this; my previous bike (Big Bear Choppers) was pretty quick but was loud and would let you know it was moving. This bike is so silky smooth and quiet, speeds sneak up on you.

4. My temp bars got to 2 over mid-way point; as stated above it is really hot in L.A. today. I will admit I was surprised hot warm (temp) the bike did get.

5. I also thought the bike was warm to ride as well. If the previous models were considered “hot” I would really hate to know how they were. I thought the bike was kicking off an awful lot of heat from the fairings.

6. Due to me being vertically challenged (5’7”), I do not like the windshield all the way up. It’s right in my line of sight. This isn’t that big of a deal for me, I just lowered it a bit and I was fine and still felt I was getting the wind protection from the shield.

7. I was surprised how “loud” the bike sounds when shifting. I’m going to assume this is “normal” for the AE but there was a lot of noise, to me, coming from the engine/transmission area.

All-in-all I am very happy with the bike. It’s very comfortable to ride. I will be looking into a Corbin seat to lower the seat height a bit more. The e-shift is awesome. I used the hand controls almost the entire time riding. I do think, though, the foot lever is really small and tough to reach. It might be me but it seems to be almost tucked under the body work. I once went to shift with my foot and lifted up on just air. I may be still used to my previous motorcycle. Of yes, downshifts are pretty smooth.

Tomorrow will be the big test: taking my girlfriend out for a ride.

Ride on everyone. And keep the rubber side down.

I had the opportunity to ride an '06 the other day and have this to offer:

The shield position affects how much heat (from the engine) you feel. All the way down and you'll feel none. More heat is felt the further up you raise the shield. On my '05, the seat gets unbearably hot no matter what position the shield is in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong, -tho' that would be unusual :p - but I don't believe a Corbin seat

is going to help with the height.

I tried the Corbin replacement seat that Yami sells,

on my '05 and sent it back and got my $. It was too wide

in the front and made it harder to flat foot. (I'm about 5' 7.5").

I'm going to assume you have already lowered the OEM seat

as low as it'll go (?) :huh:

Yes the seat is as low as it will go. Even checked when I got home "just in case" the dealership didn't do it. I also took a rough measurement. Seat height is about 30.5-31" in the low setting. IF the seat height is what Corbin claims - 29" - that will be a big improvement for me.

The shield position affects how much heat (from the engine) you feel. All the way down and you'll feel none. More heat is felt the further up you raise the shield. On my '05, the seat gets unbearably hot no matter what position the shield is in.

So as I ride on the freeway with the shield up for wind protection I'm going to get more "heat" in my face? Not to doubt you but that doesn't make sense to me - for the bike to be designed that way. Shield up = more heat in your face.

:confused:

So as I ride on the freeway with the shield up for wind protection I'm going to get more "heat" in my face? Not to doubt you but that doesn't make sense to me - for the bike to be designed that way. Shield up = more heat in your face.

:confused:
It makes sense to me. With the shield down, you are getting fresh air and air cooling. Raising the screen reduces airflow in the rider area and makes it more likely that heated air will stay put.

I would say that when it's that hot in LA that a tremendous amount of heat comes from the pavement. Perhaps more than from your engine. Secondly, the vents in front of your adjustable fairing do put out heat. Counterintuitive as it may seem, move the fairing out to deflect the warm air away from you. This recommendation has been tested by other 06 riders and has received favorable reports.

Have fun 2up today!

With the shield in the up position and riding at speed, there is a low pressure area created behind the shield. The higher the position of the shield, the bigger the low pressure area. This low pressure zone will "suck" up the heat from the engine area to a certain degree. Then factor in less ambient cooling air as stated above, and that is why there is more perceived heat with the shield in the up position.

Understood. Did some more testing after my post and I'll be damned... I could feel more heat in my face. My biggest 'problem' actually is the heat around my legs/"man region." I get off the bike with "schwetty balls." I have been playing around with air flow adjustments on the 2006... and it's been 100+ in L.A. (the valley).

Still lovin' the bike though. :yahoo: