Got my Cycleport gear today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking suit. I have the Motoport short jacket and pants with liners, black/silver stripe. Being from Cali don't experience the real cold and liners work pretty well for me in the rain and especially as a wind blocker on those cool mornings/nights. Heated gear would be the best for cold IMO.

On the zipper thing, one of our members here experience in their get-off convienced me to use the jacket zipped to the pants at all times. A real eye opener. My biggest problem is getting time to ride as much as most. ATGATT. Painman. <><

Last edited by a moderator:
but the liners don't go down the arms all the way to the cuff end. It really didn't make a difference since my glove gauntlet was under the last 2" of unprotected rain area on the jacket.
Mine too.
This is exactly the problem. With everything zipped together the arms are at least 2" too short which doesn't provide the waterproof feature at the glove / jacket. No matter if I have gloves under or over the cuff, the hands end up wet. Rain runs through the mesh, down the liner and directly into gloves. My First Gear liner works much better and can double as a light jacket when not riding.

--G

This is exactly the problem. With everything zipped together the arms are at least 2" too short which doesn't provide the waterproof feature at the glove / jacket. No matter if I have gloves under or over the cuff, the hands end up wet. Rain runs through the mesh, down the liner and directly into gloves. My First Gear liner works much better and can double as a light jacket when not riding.
Like a lot of other forum members, I was introduced to Cycleport mesh kelvar gear at Park City in 2007. It didn't take too long to realize that the use of liners to stay dry in the rain was a flawed concept. At best, after going through the hassle of putting in the liners, the best one could hope for was to stay dry while the suit and the contents in the pockets were totally soaked. Yes, the suit will dry out in the summer heat once the rain stops...if there is any summer heat after the rain stops. I found it was much quicker and easier to carry a lightweight rain jacket that would fit over the jacket and that rain jacket could also be used for additional warmth on cold mornings. Oddly enough, while the mesh jackets would quickly get soaked in a prolonged rain, the pants did a pretty good job of keeping the legs dry...at least for a couple of hours. I usually carry rain pants but so far I have only used them for warmth when it is really cold.

This past winter I took advantage of a group buy and Christmas sale to buy a second set of Cycleport stretch kelvar gear...standard cargo pants and the kelvar stretch police shirt (which is a custom fit jacket with a couple of small pockets). So far, I have been really impressed. The stretch kelvar is very soft to the touch, about a third less weight and a third less bulk than the mesh, and much more comfortable to wear when not on the bike. The stretch kelvar works great with an external rainsuit and is totally non-abrasive (my kelvar mesh has been washed 4 times and it is still far too abrasive). The only question is whether the stretch kelvar will flow enough air to stay comfortable in 95-100 degree temperatures and I should know the answer to that in another month.

I rode with a Stich Roadcrafter suit for a long time but it is way too hot in the summer. The velcro on the stich suit tends to wear out quickly for the price of the suit ( at least I think so). Got the Cycleport gear this spring and have ridden about 5,000 miles in it. Got the GP2 air Kevlar Pant and the GP2 Kevlar Jacket combo. I have ridden in temps from the 50's to 100 and find it a lot cooler than previous riding gear. I am very happy with the gear so far fits well . The shin / knee pad is a PITA since the knee pad wants to fold down when puttimg on the pant leg. For rain I got some frog togs they serve the purpose .

Haven't figured out how to post a pic so far.