Got my new Laam Seat today!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"He's getting much better" Really

My build date was July 16th.

He received my seat on July 10th.

I haven't even got a call as of Aug 20th.

On August 19, Seth called me to discuss particulars on my seat. He spent 15 minutes on the phone getting every single detail regarding what I wanted my seat to be like.
This is the sticking point for me and the reason I haven't had anything done. I have no idea what I need a custom seat to be like for me to be more comfortable.

On August 19, Seth called me to discuss particulars on my seat. He spent 15 minutes on the phone getting every single detail regarding what I wanted my seat to be like.
This is the sticking point for me and the reason I haven't had anything done. I have no idea what I need a custom seat to be like for me to be more comfortable.
His basic product is roughly the same for the FJR, unless you specify otherwise. He usually makes / adds wings to the driver seat since its so narrow from the get go. I'm 5'10 30" inseam, and I not flat footing it, but with the wings added - I'm just off the heel a bit.... not bad at all for me, though I gotta be careful on gravel. I can't tell you how much I appreciate what that seat has done for me to be able to really appreciate how great a bike the FJR is...

Just remember that if its not right - he will fix any issues you have.

First thing I did even before I got the new bike - was procure an extra set of seats for the FJR and same for the FZ-09.

He got my extra FZ-09 seat middle of last month, and I just got the call yesterday from Seth. Looks like I should be getting it next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not need to know. The top custom seat makers already know what needs to be done. They need to know about YOU. Your inseam, your weight, if you sit upright or lean forward, if you NEED to be able to flatfoot, what color and type of material, what color stitching.

You answer their questions, they deliver a custom built seat that fits YOU. Does not matter if it is a Russell, a Laam, a Mayer, or any of them. They all have their own ideas for making the foam and the contour work best.

What you need to do is to sit on, or better yet, ride on a Laam or a Russell. If I can ever get myself back up toward the Smokies, you can test a Laam seat and a '15 ES at the same time.
smile.png

I tried a Russell. Tried and tried to like it. Felt like I was sitting on a very thick firm mattress, way up high, and leaned over way too much for my comfort. I could barely reach the ground with both side toes at the same time. It was for me extremely uncomfortable, bordering on painful, and unnerving. Sold it. Before dropping so much $$ I worry my butt/back/hips/knees may have different requirements than most using a basic custom seat.

Appreciate the tryout offer. I got a feeling my wallet and my wife are not going to be very happy with you.

Seth met his deadline with my seat including shipping to Europe. Excellent seat, it's hard to believe how much better than stock it is. Great guy to deal with. It's worth the wait!

Did mine back in January turn around was just over two weeks from shipping to return. Workmanship an materials are first class. It took almost 1200 miles before I had had that "Ah" moment and i could feel the cushion like being on a spring seat. No regrets.

I think Nov- Dec is prime time if your looking for a quick turnaround.

Ditto for me, just as you posted.

When Seth called me in January to get my riding style I was wearing ski boots. Gave him my stats, type of riding etc. he asked all the right questions and twenty minutes later I was back out skiing.

It arrived within the week. Love the seat, no regrets and would do again!

Just reporting back in after a few rides on the seat. It's significantly better than the stock seat after I've been riding for about 2-3 hours (that's when contact points start feeling crappy in my backside and inside thighs). I believe it's going to work out great for me. I'll be riding to the EOM in West Virginia in Sept, so looking forward to the ride with the new saddle.

Took a short 100 mile ride yesterday to check out the new seat. 100% better than stock all around. Because of my size (6'0", 34" inseam), Seth lengthened the rider's seat as much as possible. This in turn makes the pillion seat a challenge to wedge in and install. I'm sure with a little bit of time, this should get a lot better.

Ready to give it the real test in a couple weeks - about 4500 miles worth!!

I have about 10K on my Laam seat and love it. I did a 1,100 mile Iron Butt SS -- 17 hours -- and could have gone farther. The best mod I've done to my FJR, hands down.

Took a short 100 mile ride yesterday to check out the new seat. 100% better than stock all around. Because of my size (6'0", 34" inseam), Seth lengthened the rider's seat as much as possible. This in turn makes the pillion seat a challenge to wedge in and install. I'm sure with a little bit of time, this should get a lot better.
Ready to give it the real test in a couple weeks - about 4500 miles worth!!
I sent him some pictures of me sitting on my stock seat. I believe he did the same for me because the pillion seat is significantly more difficult to install now but certainly not an issue. At the end of the day, I guess I don't care how hard the pillion seat is to install as long as the rider seat is doing it's thing! Looking forward to the ride to Lewisburg in about a week and a half!

I thought I would offer an update on my own positive experience with a winter purchase of a Laam seat. I completed the online order form on their website on October 27 and received a pleasant email reply a few hours later from Kaarin at Laam. We arranged for me to get the seat to them which they received on Nov 12. Seth called me on Dec 2 to discuss my needs and selections. He said he was going to have the seat completed and packaged for shipping by the end of the day, which he did. So the seat was in his facility for right at 3 weeks. When adding in the transit time on both ends, I was without the seat for 4.5 weeks total.

I had mentally prepared myself for the possibility of a long lead time and communication challenges even though the riding season is over so my actual experiences were quite reasonable in my mind. In all honesty, I have a spare stock seat and it's winter here in Minnesota so I really didn't care how long the process took.

As for the seat itself, I received it from UPS two days ago and took advantage of dry roads yesterday to give it a quick shake down. After 100 miles at 36F I was ready to get my feet warmed back up but the bum was comfortably cradled in new vinyl and foam. At that distance on the stock seat my sit bones would be howling in protest but I had no such complaint yesterday. A 100 mile ride is far from an adequate test for me however - I will reserve final judgement on the comfort once I can get a ride of several hundred miles in the seat. Initial impressions are good though!

One last note: the quality is excellent.

Seat-1_zpsmkxsjlik.jpg

I thought I would offer an update on my own positive experience with a winter purchase of a Laam seat. I completed the online order form on their website on October 27 and received a pleasant email reply a few hours later from Kaarin at Laam. We arranged for me to get the seat to them which they received on Nov 12. Seth called me on Dec 2 to discuss my needs and selections. He said he was going to have the seat completed and packaged for shipping by the end of the day, which he did. So the seat was in his facility for right at 3 weeks. When adding in the transit time on both ends, I was without the seat for 4.5 weeks total.
I had mentally prepared myself for the possibility of a long lead time and communication challenges even though the riding season is over so my actual experiences were quite reasonable in my mind. In all honesty, I have a spare stock seat and it's winter here in Minnesota so I really didn't care how long the process took.

As for the seat itself, I received it from UPS two days ago and took advantage of dry roads yesterday to give it a quick shake down. After 100 miles at 36F I was ready to get my feet warmed back up but the bum was comfortably cradled in new vinyl and foam. At that distance on the stock seat my sit bones would be howling in protest but I had no such complaint yesterday. A 100 mile ride is far from an adequate test for me however - I will reserve final judgement on the comfort once I can get a ride of several hundred miles in the seat. Initial impressions are good though!

One last note: the quality is excellent.

Seat-1_zpsmkxsjlik.jpg

That seat looks great!! Your bike also looks very clean and fresh! Good job.

Seth has changed the side stitching design a bit since I bought mine, looks good!

Hope your weather holds out for a few more rides!

--G