Got [s]Need[/s] a good motorcycle cover for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D
Reaction score
Now before you jump all over me for letting her sit for long enough to get dusty...

I am moving into a Condo building with a parkade. Very dusty in there and don't even want to put my bike down there until I have a cover. I'm looking for recommendations for a good, cheap, lightweight cover that will fit over a tall windscreen. Will likely not leave my top box on the bike so that is not an issue.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Ordered a cheapo chinese cover for $16 delivered and a Nelson Riggs Premier (on clearance sale) for $45 delivered. I'll let y'all know how they work out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fitting all three is hard to do. Pick two of the three and each will cover a tall windshield and top case.
Good and Lightweight Nice! but a little pricey for my needs!

Cheap and Lightweight :rofl: That's good! You crack me up! :D

Cheap...and maybe Good Been there, looked at that! Was hoping to get a review from someone who's picked one up.
Thanks Iggy!

OK, maybe there has to be a middle ground... let's say "affordable" instead of "cheap", and "fits well with a tall windscreen".

I have the Nelson Rigg Falcon Defender size XL and it works well. I put it on the bike hot without any issues. The lower silver portion can go up against the hot exhaust without melting. I have 2005 with a Rifle touring windscreen with the auto-retract disabled. The cover goes on with the windshield still elevated about 1/4-1/3 of the way up.

worldbound4now

once you've picked something or have something in mind check out newenough.com - usually they have popular brands and they're cheap. that's where i purchased my latest cover from ..I think it was $40 for a nelson-rigg.. i forget the model #

once you've picked something or have something in mind check out newenough.com - usually they have popular brands and they're cheap. that's where i purchased my latest cover from ..I think it was $40 for a nelson-rigg.. i forget the model #
Gunny on New Enough!

Nelson-Rigg UV2000 XL from NewEnough.

This will be it's second summer in the hot desert sun. I have no worries, will probably last another few summers.

Gunny on New Enough.

Newenough.com has a Nelson-Rigg Premier full cover on closeout for $29.99. Waterproof, 5-year warranty. Can't hardly go wrong for that. LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always used an ancient Nelson-Rigg full cover, been on every bike I've owned. It's great for full coverage, but not waterproof and it's pretty big to pack. I just today purchased a Nelson-Rigg half-cover, mainly for quick install and removal while on the road, and it's waterproof so my Russell saddle won't get wet. And because it's a half-cover it can go on when the bike is still hot, and you can get into things when needed (like when I forget to take my cell phone out of the glove-box).

If you're thinking of a full-cover get an XL if you have an aftermarket windshield and top-box. As I said in my earlier post, I don't see how you could go wrong with the full Nelson-Riggs one on closeout at Newenough.com.

Now before you jump all over me for letting her sit for long enough to get dusty...
I am moving into a Condo building with a parkade. Very dusty in there and don't even want to put my bike down there until I have a cover. I'm looking for recommendations for a good, cheap, lightweight cover that will fit over a tall windscreen. Will likely not leave my top box on the bike so that is not an issue.

Any thoughts?

california car cover

I just bought one made by Champion off the store on sport touring.net: Clicky. I've only had for about a month but seems very well made, fits great with stock windshield and rear tail pack and price is right.

I just bought one made by Champion off the store on sport touring.net: Clicky. I've only had for about a month but seems very well made, fits great with stock windshield and rear tail pack and price is right.

Any thoughts?
If a parkade, means covered parking, just go down beds-n-stuff and get a cheap twin fitted sheet.

Now that's the kind of advice I was looking for! You guys rock!

I can see the value of the half-cover, particularly for when on the road, but I want a full cover for my parking purposes. I'll just leave it in the car when I head out on the bike.

I had already ordered one from china of ebay for $16 delivered. Figured it was cheaper than a fitted twin bed sheet :rolleyes: and wasn't much to loose. I'll report in this thread when it comes in.

After reading these posts and checking out the links, I just had to pick up the Nelson Riggs Premier for $45 delivered (to Montana.) I'll have to ride to Montana to pick it up but what the hell, I'll get to ride to Montana! :D I had to go with Yellow as the blue and the red were sold-out (except L in Red). Actually only XL left in the Yellow too. Luckily that seems to be the recommended size. And it appears that I was just in time and bought the last one. :yahoo: I'll report back when I make it to Montana to pick it (amoung other new toys) up.

Thank for all your help everyone! :clapping: