GPS and Helmet Bluetooth

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiteflyer

Reaction score
In an effort to save some coin while outfitting for a upcoming Alaska trip, I purchased a Tom Tom Via Bluetooth GPS. This GPS will pair to my phone, but will not pair to my Scala Cardo Q2 Pro or to my Uclear helmet communication devices.

Short of spending a thousand bucks on a Zumo 735, what GPS's under $500 will Bluetooth pair to my helmet?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

u said save coin.. do you have a smart phone?

...your cheapest way out, pop on a ram-ball mount to your smarty. I use the Droid Razr max, call up the GPS (Navigation App) and have the BT paired w ur helmet. Easy Peasy plus you can field cell calls automatically. The googlemap db is updated for free and is detailed better than a TT or Garmin (which I do own also). I prefer the Razr but the one downfall is remote area (mountains) w/ out signal-service. You can opt for a background map (pre download the map tiles) of your area to prevent this now, you would need to do this prior to your desolate area (non-cell service) planned trip.

Just my cheap ass 2cents!

Have a great Alaskan trip
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the smart phone idea.

If that doesn't work for you, I was going to recommend the Zumo 220 that I have, but I see they are discontinued. The 220 has been bullet-proof in torrential rain and baking heat + I use it in my truck or as a hand-held. Pairs perfectly with my Sena SMH5.

Do you know why the TomTom won't pair with your Scala?

According to the Scala site, you can only pair one Bluetooth device at a time:

'Thanks to MDC technology the scala rider Q2 PRO offers parallel connectivity as follows:

Alternate between two additional scala rider headsets on intercom mode and one of the following Bluetooth devices

• Mobile Phone (either directly orvia a GPS device)
  • GPS device
Good luck with this. Others, with lots more knowledge, will be along shortly.

Al.

I just bought a Garmin 2595lmt for $175 which is working great from me in conjunction with a Sena SMH10.

The discontinued Garmin Nuvi 765T has the ability to do stereo bluetooth, and uses the same A2DP bluetooth protocol as the Zumo 600 and 665. The 765T even has cable ports for both speaker output and mic input. It is basically a full-function motorcycle GPS without the waterproof certification. Also check out the Streetpilot 2820 if you can find one, as it also does full Bluetooth and is a weatherproof unit. You will need to pair your phone through the GPS, then pair the GPS to your headset. That will work with the 765T for sure, and I think with the 2820.

Another option for you is to add a uClear WT3000 Bluetooth device. This will add a BT channel for the GPS or let you add a bike to bike GMRS radio.

I completely disagree that a smartphone can function as an adequate GPS on a bike in remote areas. First it is a relatively delicate electronic device prone to overheating in sun and being damaged in rain, or with excess vibration. Second, you won't have a connection to the internet most of the time which, even with the full map set uploaded, is a big part of the functionality, and third, you still have to get it into the helmet to be effective. The BT function should do this, but you will have a lot of devices to keep charged.

Be sure to HARDWIRE any GPS to your bike's electrical system. I can almost guarantee a cigarette lighter port will fail to keep a tight electric connection during a long trip with a lot of bumps.

I have a Tomtom Rider. The Tomtom pairs with my Scala. And it's the Tomtom that also pairs with my phone (was Nokia 95, now iPhone 3), not the Scala.

I can use the phone through the Tomtom (I emphasise "can", I don't).

Just curious, why would the bluetooth capability work with one device and not the other?

I have the Scala G4 teamset and it works with either the Zumo 660 or the phone.

The discontinued Garmin Nuvi 765T has the ability to do stereo bluetooth, and uses the same A2DP bluetooth protocol as the Zumo 600 and 665. The 765T even has cable ports for both speaker output and mic input. It is basically a full-function motorcycle GPS without the waterproof certification. Also check out the Streetpilot 2820 if you can find one, as it also does full Bluetooth and is a weatherproof unit. You will need to pair your phone through the GPS, then pair the GPS to your headset. That will work with the 765T for sure, and I think with the 2820.
The Streetpilot 2820 looks quite interesting and affordable.

What do you have to buy to add XM to one?

Are map updates difficult (or expensive) to get?

You only need the GXM 30 Antenna. MadMike2 has an extra one and actually gave it to me, but you commonly see them on Ebay for $100. You should be able to call XM and get a new subscriber annual subscription for under $90. As far as the antenna goes ,Randy is selling a Streetpilot 2730 here, and it includes the antenna. He is asking $140 for the package...offer $70 for the antenna. The 2730 does not have Bluetooth capability and has to be used wired.

Many of the automotive GPS units are for phone pairing only. If they have music players they should pair to the headset.

I have a 2820 and it pairs with my phone and my Q2 Pro. GPS directions go to the helmet and I can operate the phone from the GPS touch-screen. 2820 will not do stereo music via Bluetooth, however. It will play the music, but only monaural. There is an audio jack for stereo out, but if you wanted cables you'd not be asking about Bluetooth. It doesn't have enough memory to really be a music player, anyway, and I could care less about music while riding.

+1 on using a smartphone. I've been using my iPhone mounted with a ram mount for years on my FJR. I loaded the TomTom GPS app and it works GREAT, and the price was right at $50. All of the maps are loaded on the device so I don't need any cell service to use the app. I can stream music take calls and hear GPS turn by turn directions all from the same device. The only downfall is I can't load pre plannded routes in it, there are not many you can though.

The only downfall is I can't load pre plannded routes in it, there are not many you can though.
Which droid apps allow this?
Chuck:

I've had good luck with the Android GPS app CoPilot Live Premium. It's much more like a traditional GPS than Google Maps, with full route planning, and comes with complete on-device maps, so it works without a data connection. (NOTE: I've only used it in a car on a Nexus 7 tablet.)

There is some hassle in moving GPX routes onto the app, though. You first have to convert the GPX file to a TRP file, then copy the TRP file into the data folder of the app. The free tool ITN Converter can convert almost any format into almost any other format, and has no problem with GPX to TRP conversion.

There also a Windows version of CoPilot (priced separately), so you could create your route with it, then transfer the route directly to the Android version.

The 765T will not pair with the Scala (G4 and G9 anyway). Scala uses the Headset Profile not A2DP. The 765T can broadcast in FM, so this is also an option on the G4.However,

I did just find an adapter for $40 that will plug into the jack and pairs in HSP. I'll let you know how it works when it come in.

Beware of any Garmin newer than the 765T using Bluetooth to communicate to your helmet except the Zumos. Everyone I have looked at only will link to a cellphone. I would love to be proved wrong on this. I also am not sure if Copilot for Windows will transfer routes to your cellphone. I saw nothing on their website about that. I would love to use Copilot as my GPS if creating routes was easier and had waypoint capability. However after a few hours of running Copilot on my Samsung Infuse it overheats and needs to cool down and be reset.

Just curious, why would the bluetooth capability work with one device and not the other? I have the Scala G4 teamset and it works with either the Zumo 660 or the phone.

Different BT profiles. The BT profile to connect the phone to the GPS is the Hands free profile. The connection from the GPS to the helmet is either made using the "Headset" profile, or in the case of your zumo 6xx it is A2DP (stereo BT).

FWIW, I have never been able to get my nuvi 765T to pair to my Scala rider BT headset. When making that pairing the GPS wanted me to enter a pin number of 0000, which I obviously can't do. Eventually it just times out. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

I am able to pair my zumo 550's to the Scala headset fine.