GPS Info

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjr vfr

Reaction score
I have been looking at a Garmin 1490lmt and a Garmin 2595lmt for comparison. It seems the only difference I can find is that the 1490lmt is discontinued, although Garmin still has some in stock. Is anyone out there using one of these units? Does one have an advantage over the other? Both seem to be good units with a 5" display. I would be mounting it in an Aqua box. I'm trying to avoid the cost of a Zumo...they're so expensive. Anyone have a different affordable unit they like with either a 4.3" or 5" display.
Whatever GPS I get, I want to ad Europe maps on it for our trip this summer.

Thanks,
John

I use the 2595lmt and have been very pleased with it. It's my first GPS I've ever owned. I use it in an Aquabox mounted on a TechMount stem nut. I find it very easy to use and my only complaint is that I'd hoped it would work with my Sena headset to allow voice commands but it doesn't. For that fearture you have to buy the Zumo series.

I do most of my routing in Microsoft Streets and Trips and export the file directly to the Garmin. Easy peasy.

I did have to fab up a shade for it. If the sun is over my shoulder and on the screen there is a glare issue.

In spite of this I'd buy it again.

I use a 1490lmt in my car. It works fine. The documentation claims that it can store up to 10 routes, but I never tried it. I simply go from point to point. The lifetime maps it comes with is a good deal, and the 't' part is for traffic alerts, which did not work for me for a couple of years, but does work now. It not only indicates traffic ahead, but also reroutes me automatically around major traffic stoppages before I actually get stuck in the traffic. I like the big screen as well.

It looks like the 2595 has voice command capability, so you can ask it to find a restaurant or something for you, but I don't see mention of the ability to store routes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys.

I've got a little time to think it over. I like the Zumo, but don't want to take out a morgage to pay for it.
rolleyes.gif
There are so many models from Garmin and when I read the specs it's hard to seperate them apart. I've noticed a few riders using the 1490lmt and 2595lmt units so they came to mind. There might be a better option? I like the larger displays.

John

Ive had two Garmin GPS. One is a 200w (4.3" screen) which i still have and works great but you cant do custom routes. The other is a 1450 (5" screen) which you can do custom routes with that one. The 1450 Is a lot slower than the 200w. When it goes to re-route it takes a lot more time. When dragging the screen around looking for some place the 200w works flawless but the 1450 is again slow! I guess my point is, I would check and see which ones has a larger processor, if you can even find out. I went just on features when I bought the 1450, which it had what I was looking for but because of the extra features and apparently a processor that can barely keep up, it just isnt a good GPS IMOH. Next time I'll do a little more checking before I buy.

I'm confused, maybe yooze more electronical oriented can help. When you say "xxx can't do custom routes" what do you mean? Are you saying that that model is unusable with BaseCamp, MapSource, Streets& Trips, GoogleMaps and the like to make my own route that I want to follow?

It means you can't create a route in some type of mapping software and import it into your GPS. That model gps will choose the best route for you.

I have a 1490lmt, used it with an aquabox , load routes all the time and also used it in Europe last year.

Make sure you get a micro sd card, so you can load the NA and euro maps, there's not enough space on the main drive in the gps.

Works fine for me, not expensive, bought it refurbed from Walmart, the only issue I had in Europe was the satellites took for ever to lock each time I powered up, but stayed locked.

Have fun

There seems to be some confusion over the ability to store custom routes in the 2595lmt. I've used mine on a couple of rallies so far and in each case I created multiple route options in Streets and Trips and exported them to the 2595lmt without any trouble. I am using the latest version of Streets and Trips (2013) and I have added the micro SD card to my 2595lmt. I keep the updates done religiously.

I chose this model after having chatted with some of the other users on the forum and learning it's being used by some of the rally competitors. I figure if those folks are okay with it, I should be ecstatic.

I have a 1490lmt, used it with an aquabox , load routes all the time and also used it in Europe last year. Make sure you get a micro sd card, so you can load the NA and euro maps, there's not enough space on the main drive in the gps. Works fine for me, not expensive, bought it refurbed from Walmart, the only issue I had in Europe was the satellites took for ever to lock each time I powered up, but stayed locked. Have fun
If you load the Euro maps on the micro sd card does the mapping flow seamlessly from NA to Europe or do you have another step to switch over? Also after the maps are loaded will there be enough room for music? Right now I'm leaning towards the 2597lmt, but that could change.

I currently have a 2610 street pilot with Euro maps we used in Europe a couple years ago. The problem is the unit is showing it's age and I don't know if I can trust it. I plan on bringing it and the new one to back each other up.

Thanks,

John

You mention music - Very few of the current crop of Garmin GPS have an MP3 player built in. The Zumo's still include the MP3 player but not many others.

after my little experiment with the Garmin VIBE action camera and the crappy software and crappy support i will not be purchasing another Garmin product in the future. The hardware was very good, software and out dated firmware, and all the crap you have to go through to get it to work as advertised was overwhelming. I couldn't see it being a usable product based on that.
Good luck on your purchase

No extra step - it just means when you look at the map there's details - this means you can create routes before you go and load them if you wish

See this video on the how to use it - - i actually installed on a blank card and installed using garmin app

On music - i cant say i dont have any nor pictures - but depending on the SD card size im guessing you could put a bunch on

Last edited by a moderator: