GPS Info

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miscellaneous stuff.

You can go to Garmin's web site and read all the specs including the owners manual. 2597lmt 1490lmt

The ability to hear turn by turn directions is useful; I consider it to be a fundamental requirement when traveling in unfamiliar areas. Turn by Turn voice via Bluetooth to my headset is wonderful. An audio jack to an audio mixer would work just as well but the GPS will have to have an audio jack or Bluetooth VOICE DIRECTIONS, different from Bluetooth phone and accepting voice instructions. If you have your GPS in a weather resistant box the jack will be a problem.

Mounting, environmental protection, security and portability will have to be addressed with an auto unit.

If the GPS only has an internal speaker and you put it in a box for weather protection you don't have useful sound.

The ability to make and save routes on a PC then download to the GPS is really nice. If the GPS offers tracks from a day's ride, it's really nice to be able to download them to your PC and save them to make a route to retrace the day.

As long as you are 'considering the options' regularly check for used and refurb units because good values can be found. I got lucky and found a Zumo 550 that was being sold by a guy in Fla that didn't know the market value of a used Zumo, I umm, took advantage of his ignorance. Ignorance was expensive for him and good for me. I got everything, all the bits and pieces, all neatly boxed up in the OEM box with OEM packaging. After having it for several years I just put a new digitizer in it, I spent a whole $7 on it from a seller in the mid-west. I'm so pleased with the way that turned out I'm going to treat it to a map upgrade
laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
...and the number is...10.

That's the number of routes you ca store in the main memory. You coud stoee more on the sd card Iirc. That's on a 1390. Dunno about t'other.

You mention music - Very few of the current crop of Garmin GPS have an MP3 player built in. The Zumo's still include the MP3 player but not many others.
As it turned out, my ignorance when buying a gps really came in handy. I got a new in-the-box nuvi 780 from walmart.com for $170. That model has all the bells and whistles: mp3 player, jpg viewer, audio output jack, SD card slot, Bluetooth, FM transmitter, traffic alerts, maybe more I don't know of.

It's been with me from Portland, ME to Key West and has done great. I even use it in my pickup sometimes
smile.png
. Used ones can still be had on amazon and ebay for next to nothing.

First, I'll sell you a Zumo 550 with motorcycle mount, RAM arm, extra battery, 2014.4 maps, direct wire and some other stuff for $350. It's registered to me but was given to me to sell by a friend who got it and never used it. Clear bright screen and works well from what I can tell.

Otherwise, if you're set on the Garmin 2597, they are selling them at Costco for something like $125. Great deal. I had one I used for work and I liked to run it in portrait mode where you can see farther ahead. The voice control is a recipe for frustration, but it works well enough to keep trying. Good bright display and capable of multi-point navigation. I liked it.

First, I'll sell you a Zumo 550 with motorcycle mount, RAM arm, extra battery, 2014.4 maps, direct wire and some other stuff for $350. It's registered to me but was given to me to sell by a friend who got it and never used it. Clear bright screen and works well from what I can tell.
Otherwise, if you're set on the Garmin 2597, they are selling them at Costco for something like $125. Great deal. I had one I used for work and I liked to run it in portrait mode where you can see farther ahead. The voice control is a recipe for frustration, but it works well enough to keep trying. Good bright display and capable of multi-point navigation. I liked it.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check with someone we know with a Costco card. I don't think I'm interested in the Zumo 550 because of the screen size. As I get older, I need a large display.
rolleyes.gif
I'd have to stop and get out my reading glasses...lol

Another thing I'm thinking about is the Aqua Box. I wonder if the unit inside might overheat in the summer sun? I would think it would need some air circulation? And btw, I still kind of like the newer nuvi 2597. I think I could live with a smaller screen like the Zumo 550, but I would rather have at least a 4.3" unit and preferabley a 5" unit. They do have 7" units, but I think that size might not be to practical on the bike. Thanks for the replies.

I've been using an aqua box for years. For heat its best to use spacers in a few areas on the back of the gps vs solid foam which may over heat the thing.

Get a 5in gps if going the car gps route.

Many use 7in tablets as a gps these days and weatherproof cases can be had for those.

Last edited by a moderator: