GPS Mounting Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
I got a TomTom Rider 2nd and it came with a RAM universal mount, and I now have a reservoir cover mount, so it's mounted off the clutch res. On rough roads it vibrates quite a bit, but still legible. When staring down, I wondered if the GPS would move less if it were attached to the frame by way of an available mount just in front of the tank. Do you think there is any difference of a mount being off the bars vs. the frame where it enjoys both front and rear suspension vs. just the forks? Thanks for any input/experience.

Spud - The stem stand is likely to be the most solid mount, although I suspect mounting off the top triple tree or frame with a RAM mount will yield better results than your currently having. IF you have some spare RAM stuff around, you might try experimenting with some other mounting options like you see here

https://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/gallery....t&C=&D=

If you DON'T have spare stuff around, you might just do the stem stand; you can nickle and dime yourself trying to get the best setup only having to splurge on the stem stand later anyway.

Paul Peloquin

Monmouth OR

Thanks for the comments thus far. Because I've already got the RAM parts, I started wondering this: Do you think it would be feasible to mount this on the oem Stem Nut? I'm thinking of having a friend of mine with the tools to do this drill it and thread it to accept this ball, then put the arm and mount on from there?

RAM237U.jpg

Thanks for the comments thus far. Because I've already got the RAM parts, I started wondering this: Do you think it would be feasible to mount this on the oem Stem Nut? I'm thinking of having a friend of mine with the tools to do this drill it and thread it to accept this ball, then put the arm and mount on from there?
RAM237U.jpg
Might be worth a try.

It's been done, and there are posts, right here on the forum. Here is one for ya:

Linky

If you want to see the others, do a search like I did, using +drilled +stem +nut

Damn, I'm a nice guy! :clapping: