GPS Mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AH64DB2

Reaction score
Any pictures out there that show different places to mount a GPS? I'd like to see options before I buy the mount- already bought the GPS.

Thanks

This is mine here@ freeway speed.

GPS- Garmin Nuvi350

RideReportDallas182.jpg

Mounting Hardware: Ram bar mount with u-bolt. Had to put a bracket behind the ram holder.

Then used a ram mount coupling with twist knob.

Then used a ram ball w/threaded female screw to attach to gps bracket....drilled hole in bracket housing of gps (where garmin ram ball would normally fit, however smaller size so had adapt onto the ram ball screw.

Yea, sounds confusing but worked solidly.

Besides, you just asked for a mounting area.

I use a stem nut RAM ball. The stem nut is from Techmount. I called and asked if they'd drill and tap it for the RAM ball and they said, "No problem." You can see the ball in this photo:

tankbag3.jpg

It put the gps in pretty much the same position as Silverhound's short stem techmount.

Here's a pic of it with the locking knob on the RAM arm:

waterbottle2.jpg

As you can see, I have three RAM balls on the bike so I can attach what I want for any ride where I want it. I really like that flexibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
2610 on a RAM ball that goes in the unused mirror hole on the clutch side. (The throttle side is reversed threads, the RAM ball won't go there.)

Viewfromtopboxzoomed.jpg

RAM-mountmirrorhole.jpg

RAM also makes the clamp-type mounts seen in previous posts, and they have covers that fit the clutch and brake reservoirs with RAM balls either centered on the cover or extended over the end.

2610 on a RAM ball that goes in the unused mirror hole on the clutch side. (The throttle side is reversed threads, the RAM ball won't go there.)
Note that there is no hole drilled or threaded in the right side on '05 FJRs. They may have changed that in '04.

AH64DB2, which model GPS did you buy? It will effect the mounting opportunities.

Here's my unimaginative use of the stock mounting hardware included with Garmin Zumo 450/550.

I didn't really think I'd like it there, but it's kinda grown on me over time. Cheap too!

IMG_0173s.jpg

I use a ram ball that screws into the stem nut. Many of the pics in this thread uses the same. You can buy aftermarket threaded stem nuts. Nice to have the GPS centered in front of you. I actually made my mount and use industrial grade velcro to attach the gps unit to the mounting plate. Easy on, easy off. You can get industrial grade velcro at Home Depot and Lowes, or possibly other places as well. I also use this method of attachment for the radar detector. Been using this setup for years on different bikes, no issues. It just boils down to personal preference, etc.

Here is where mine is located.

I made a couple of these and have one extra. If you are interested or anyone else let me know. I like this because it is fixed to the frame and not the stearing. Allways in the same place and doesn't move. Rock solid also. Made from 3/4 thick aluminum billet.

Dave