GPS Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddog

Reaction score
The Costco deal on the Garmin 2730 looks very good but I have a newbie question. The product description says that the unit comes with North American maps loaded. What if I want to go to Europe? How do I unload the North American maps but still have them available to reload when I return from Europe? Are these maps on CDs, DVDs, other media? The parts list on the Costco website does not list any media that I could see for the North American maps.

I know that I need to purchase the Europe maps software separately, I'm just wondering how do you swap maps around if no North American media is provided.

TIA

Larry

I believe the US Maps are pre-loaded into firmware that can't be erased. There is additional memory for swapable maps where you could load your Euro maps, but the US stuff stays put.

- Mark

The 2730 show's the Europe mapping as an option, so it should work, but check with Garmin first. Since the memory in this unit is not removeable, the only way I can think that the euro maps can be loaded to the GPS would be through the Mapsource software.

Thanks for the responses guys, it makes a little more sense now.

Trimmanton - Maybe I'm stupid but when I go to Garmin's website I have trouble finding what I am looking for. For example, when you go to the product page for the 2730 on Garmin's site it clearly lists a North American maps DVD as part of the included packaging. However, every single vendor website I've visited (like Costco) there is no mention of this DVD. So I'm just trying to figure out what the deal is; do you get a DVD with North American maps or not? And trying to find out how to load maps on Garmin's site, well that is something I just never found. Another example of my confusion maybe useful; when looking at the Europe map DVD on Garmin's site, this note is on the webpage: "Note: You cannot use this product to update the maps on your preloaded Garmin device. To order updated map data for your preloaded Garmin device, visit the Map Updates page." What the hell does that mean? (Yes, I visited the "Map Updates Page" and that wasn't helpful either.) I thought by asking owners who use these things I could get a quick answer to my question.

I suppose Rick from autonav2000 is right, it might pay to go to a local vendor to get answers to my questions. Especially because I know nothing about GPS.

You will get a DVD with the maps and a mapping program for your PC. You can plan trips on the PC and load the routes to the GPS. You also get device drivers so your PC can communicate with the GPS. You should get V8 or the maps installed on the GPS and the same version on the DVD.

Now that has me wondering if the maps are stored in non-writeable memory on the GPS how do you replace them with a newer version in the future?

Edit: Mine is a 2720 and came with a DVD. It looks like the 2730 does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that has me wondering if the maps are stored in non-writeable memory on the GPS how do you replace them with a newer version in the future?
I think there are a couple of different memory layers. There's non-user writable where the base map information is stored and one can update that with the overall patch they occassionally provide. Then the user writable area (about 750MB) is reserved for things like the MP3s, Audible Books, and likely optional maps.

Now y'all got me thinking. I "believe" I saw where you can (I have a 2720) erase all maps on the the GPS itself (have to be connected to computer and Map Source). I bought mine w/ver 7, got ver 8 and loaded it and the unit now has both loaded - that's why I was looking for a way to delete stuff. That said, you can "probably" have both the US and Europe maps on the unit w/o problem.

I can help you all out.

I have the 2730, I used it in San Diego (NA) & have now moved to Italy (Europe)

The 2730 does not come with any CD/DVD maps at all. They are all pre-loaded to the 2GB internal flash memory.

If you call or email Garmin the general rule seems to be they will send you a DVD of the latest maps for free (US only)

I bought mine last May, Garmin sent me the NA version 7 DVD in June when I asked, in Sept they came out with version 8 upgrade which they just sent me a few weeks ago (again for free). You just need to fill out the free upgrade request in your “mygarmin” account webpage.

The 2730 when attached to your pc can work in two modes, GPS or USB storage mode.

In USB storage mode you can actually see the 2GB internal hard drive as a drive letter on your PC.

From the factory it should have about 1GB free, the rest are the STD maps, a few mp3 files and the default voices in various languages.

Continue at your own risk (standard disclaimer :rolleyes: )

Relax, we are not doing any surgery or soldering to your GPS but if for some reason your GPS no longer works.

Don’t blame me.

What I do to make a bunch of extra space is backup the standard USA/NA map image ~950MB file and all other files to a DVD

This leaves the 2730 with the full 2GB for you to do whatever you want, BUT with no useable maps.

Let's say you really never leave the state of (fill in the blank) or never travel east/west of (fill in the blank)

Do you really need the entire USA taking up space which could be used for tunes (i.e. MP3's)?

By default the 2730 ships with 3 basic folders on the 2GB flash drive.

Going by memory here as I am at work right now (bear with me if I'm off a bit)

-audible

-mp3

-Garmin

audible (books), mp3 (music), Garmin (maps)

Inside the Garmin folder is also the voices folder for the GPS (if all you speak or need is English, backup & delete the other 15 or so languages for more added space)

To add maps, either USA or Europe to your 2730 you need the appropriate region DVD installed & the Mapsource program.

Select the maps you want in Mapsource, with the 2730 you should also check the box for routing data since the 2730 has routing capability.

Click the icon to send to GPS.

Here is what actually happens behind the scenes:

The Mapsource program takes all of your selected maps and makes an image file, let's just call it a container (one single file) that holds all of your selected maps. The 2730 uses this one file to access the maps of the desired region.

A few more wrenches to throw in the joy of GPS use is the 2730 requires the maps to be unlocked.

Be careful buying used/pre-owned maps off of ebay.

Each map program can be unlocked for 2 devices (that you personally own) after that Garmin will want more $$

If you can't unlock it because of >2 device unlocks, invalid code, seller fails to give you a code, etc... you are out of luck.

I bought my brand new copy of City Navigator Europe v9 for ~$220 here

For me right now, I have a complete factory backup of my 2730 safely on a home burned DVD-R (USA load)

I deleted everything except the English voices leaving me 2GB to load my maps and quite a few mp3's

I loaded just the regions of Europe I need, I don't want or need all of it.

When I head back to the states I will do the same (delete the Europe maps, load the parts of the US I want/need)

I hope that helps you guys out with a few of those questions.

If not, let's keep asking and bring all of us up to speed on some of this GPS technology.

Hey Maddog, Sorry to hear of your problem on the garmin site.

I'm also new to the GPS world myself. I bought a garmin 2730.

I went back to their site and their technical support # is 1-800-800-1020.

They also have e-mail contact which I didn't write down.

someone at their tech number should be able to answer your questions.

I know how confusing some of this stuff can seem to be,hope you get some answers to your questions.

Pawtracks - Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know. Excellent write-up, especially the part about buying on eBay and not getting proper unlocking codes.

Trimmanton - Just out of curiosity, when you called Garmin how was their technical support? (I've pretty much already convinced myself I have to have one of these, but it would nice to know what kind of technical support is available.) Thanks

Larry

Pawtracks - Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know. Excellent write-up, especially the part about buying on eBay and not getting proper unlocking codes.
Trimmanton - Just out of curiosity, when you called Garmin how was their technical support? (I've pretty much already convinced myself I have to have one of these, but it would nice to know what kind of technical support is available.) Thanks

Larry
No problem, helping out or receiving help is the best part of this forum!

I have called Garmin 2 or 3 times in the last couple of years, always great support for me.

I do speak and understand "geek" so your mileage may vary.

IMHO they answered the phone promptly, spoke clear english (not from a script) and were straight forward without any sales pitch.