GPS questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramblin Man

Reaction score
Back when the bike and the forum was young, GPS systems had two parts, the screen and the reciever. I remember seeing pictures of the recievers mounted under the seats, they required monthly fees etc...

What about the current batch? Are they self contained? Do they require any subscription fees?

Someone give me the low down on them.

Back when the bike and the forum was young, GPS systems had two parts, the screen and the reciever. I remember seeing pictures of the recievers mounted under the seats, they required monthly fees etc...
What about the current batch? Are they self contained? Do they require any subscription fees?

Someone give me the low down on them.
Just buy the device. No monthly sub fees, unless you option in the XM radio, or weather updates, etc. Units are self-contained, but many buyers add in a optional extended antenna in order to improve satellite lock in marginal weather and/or topographical locations.

GPS has never required a subscription.

Prices have come way, way down. Feature lists are way, way up.

Many people here like the Zumo 550 from Garmin, I personally prefer the 478c (also from Garmin). But the only caveats are that it must be waterproof and it cannot use a hard drive (very, very few do),