GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jer

Reaction score
I purchased a refurbished Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT from Walmart recently. You are supposed to register it and activate the lifetime maps right away. I downloaded the updater to my computer, but when I try to download updated to the GPS unit it is not recognized. I tried to register the unit, but it is unclear what the serial number is and when I entered what I thought was the serial number it showed up as a cell phone with gps capabilities.

I have tried to turn it on, but I only have a blank screen. I tried it hooked up to my computer and also in my auto. I will call Garmin tomorrow and probably return it to Walmart. I had planned on using it for my trip to Castlegar, but I doubt it a new one will arrive before I leave.

Any comments appreciated. Yes, I am a cheap bastard.

You might have to download updated USB drivers from Garmin to get the computer to recognize it. I had to get all kinds of new shit when I got a Windows 7 PC.

OTOH, if you can't get a screen on the unit, it's probably toast.

Jer,

It should have worked right out of the box, return it, get another one and have them turn it on and see if it starts.

or,

Go buy a new one at Costco,

See you in Castlegar!

FWFE

I think you'll find the answer to your problem tomorrow after speaking with Garmin. On the few occasions I have had the need to contact them (I have two Nuvi devices) they have always had the ability to asses and address the issues.

On the other hand, I can't see why Walmart would not replace it as well.

Keep Going!

Returned to Walmart and received cash refund. Ordered a new one from Amazon, paid an extra $10 and received it in two days.

Fedex delivered it a couple hours ago and it is currently sitting on my desk. I am a little apprehensive about plugging it in. What if it doesn't work?

Last summer, my Zumo wouldn't turn on. I took the battery out of it for about five minutes, reinstalled it and everything was peachy again.

I think I will put my new GPS away until I get back from Castlegar. I worked most of a day yesterday to unstall two auxiliary power outlets. One for the GPS and one for my XM receiver. Afterwards I checked and everything worked until I reinstalled the tank and then my AM/FM radio didn''t work. I have three pigtails from my fuse block and tried each to see if it was a fuse. By the time I finished this check nothing was working. I assumed that I had blown some fuses.

This morning I checked and found a couple of my 3 amp fuses were blown. After I replaced those and got everthing but the GPS to work. I also found the fuse in the GPS power cable was blown. I think I blew the fuses in the other circuits by plugging the GPS into them. I am mentally fatigued and will wait until after NAFO to try to figure this out. I will replace the fuse in the GPS power cable before I leave. That fuse is a 1A/250 volt.