GPS ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The quest and zumo look good, happy owners. What does the zumo do that the quest doesn't? is it worth twice the $$$?

Steve

the quest only does 2D mapping, it's painfully slow at calculating a route, and it's a bare bones unit.

don't get me wrong, the quest has served me well for the past two years, but its time (for me) to upgrade.

the zumo 550 is heaps faster, does 3D mapping (with the option to switch back to 2D if you choose)

it has built in bluetooth (for making and recieving calls on the move) the bluetooth is a dual chanel setup,

so you can have your helmet, and com system hooked up at the same time wirelessly.

the zumo also has a mp3 player that supports up to 512 mb SD cards,has built im xm radio and traffic services.

also has a much larger screen.

im fitting mine this weekend, and ill post pics on monday or tuesday.

jason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,I just installed my Zumo 550 on my 07. It looks great and with the XM it sounds great. I bought it from PC Nation for $619 and the XM is around $220. I also bought a stem mount from Radarbusters.com for $70. I got the Tech mount Mini 10998M because I liked the shorter stem (1.5in compared to 3.5in). I had the StreetPilot 2820 on the bike first, but think this one is a much cleaner look plus it is designed specifically for the motorcyclist and has an SD card slot. My Zumo connects to my Baehr Ultima XL and with the Zumo's Bluetooth, I can get cellphone, Mp3 and XM using only one input on the Baehr. As for the power supply on the Zumo, it comes with a cigarette lighter plug and a hardwire for the bike. it also comes with two mounts. One for your bike and the other so you can easily move it to your car.

I highly recommend it.

Brian
Nice install, I did pretty much the same thing (short-stalk tech mount). What did you do with the XM receiver? I found it fits perfectly in the space at the very tail end of the bike under the passenger seat (after where the plastic rails end). The only bummer is the wire is about 8" short to reach from the rear to the handlebars, so I had to use the long extension which ended up with plenty of extra cable. I'll try to snap some pics of it later.

I have a 1 gig SD card (full of MP3's ) and it plays everything fine. I have heard of 2 or 4 gig cards being used with no problems.
KM
thanks for the tip.

have not yet tried one that big. i had assumed that as the largest card that garmin sells is 512 mb,

that that was the biggest one that the zumo supported.

looks like ill be buying a 2 or 4 gb card !!!

jason.

Steve,I just installed my Zumo 550 on my 07. It looks great and with the XM it sounds great. I bought it from PC Nation for $619 and the XM is around $220. I also bought a stem mount from Radarbusters.com for $70. I got the Tech mount Mini 10998M because I liked the shorter stem (1.5in compared to 3.5in). I had the StreetPilot 2820 on the bike first, but think this one is a much cleaner look plus it is designed specifically for the motorcyclist and has an SD card slot. My Zumo connects to my Baehr Ultima XL and with the Zumo's Bluetooth, I can get cellphone, Mp3 and XM using only one input on the Baehr. As for the power supply on the Zumo, it comes with a cigarette lighter plug and a hardwire for the bike. it also comes with two mounts. One for your bike and the other so you can easily move it to your car.

I highly recommend it.

Brian
Nice install, I did pretty much the same thing (short-stalk tech mount). What did you do with the XM receiver? I found it fits perfectly in the space at the very tail end of the bike under the passenger seat (after where the plastic rails end). The only bummer is the wire is about 8" short to reach from the rear to the handlebars, so I had to use the long extension which ended up with plenty of extra cable. I'll try to snap some pics of it later.
StickyC, I did the same thing with my XM receiver. I was pleasantly surprised to see it received a good signal from under the seat. I used the long cable also but don't mind because it makes it easier to plug in my laptop when I am programming the Zumo.

What did you do with the XM receiver? I found it fits perfectly in the space at the very tail end of the bike under the passenger seat (after where the plastic rails end).

StickyC, I did the same thing with my XM receiver. I was pleasantly surprised to see it received a good signal from under the seat.

Gentlemen,

I've found this area gets rather wet in a good Fla. rain. Are the XM units water tight?

Add my support for the Garmin Quest2. What a great little unit. Small enough to slip in your shirt pocket for hiking, geocaching, etc. Waterproof. Lithium ion battery for up to 20 hours battery run time. Flash memory (i.e., no HDD so no worries about excessive mc vibration problems). VERY visible screen even in bright sunlight. Fast processor, very quick recalculations. Comes preloaded with detailed street level maps for the ENTIRE USA. User input via buttons rather than touchscreen (I've talked to way too many people who have started having touchscreen input problems after using their GPS for awhile). Mine is mounted to the FJR centerstem with a Techmount system. Very visible right in front of your face in the normal riding position but doesn't interfere with view of bike gauges. NOTE--this is a very small unit, if you have any vision problems, you might have trouble viewing it while riding. The audible voice instructions work well with my Platinum 900 helmet communication system but will also work fine with just a simple headset. I bought mine slightly used with all necessary mounting accessories for car, truck and motorcycle for $400 from a private party. Love it. The Quest2 was a Best Buy pick in one of the Fall 2005 issues of MCN magazine. FWIW.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

Steve I have a Garmin 276C. You can add routes and look up addresses on the fly. I have an 04 so I was able to mount it to the left side un-used mirror hole. That was gone after the 04. As for power I installed a powerlet outlet. There are a few places to install them. You can check it out here. I used their PPL-005 plug which allows me to move the unit back and forth between bike and car.
https://powerlet.net/

gypsy

CCook82 said:
Steve I have a Garmin 276C. You can add routes and look up addresses on the fly. I have an 04 so I was able to mount it to the left side un-used mirror hole. That was gone after the 04. As for power I installed a powerlet outlet. There are a few places to install them. You can check it out here. I used their PPL-005 plug which allows me to move the unit back and forth between bike and car.

gypsy

Gypsy,might I ask what mount you used to put the GPS in the mirror threads: Garmin, techmount, ???? thanks CCook

I have a Tomtom Rider.
1_DSCF5280.JPG

Found it much more intuitive to use than the only other MC specific unit that I've tried, a Garmin.

Put it on with a home-made mount, not overly professional, but works very well.

Write-up on my mounting and experience of it here, where I show its mounting on my ex Trophy and my FJR, some more photos here (FJR start on the 2nd page).
That looks like a Ram-Mount ball on the stem bolt. Where did you get that? I looked at the Ram mount web site and they don't appear to have such a thing. That solution looks ideal to me.

andromedusa said:
I have a Tomtom Rider.

Found it much more intuitive to use than the only other MC specific unit that I've tried, a Garmin.

Put it on with a home-made mount, not overly professional, but works very well.

Write-up on my mounting and experience of it here, where I show its mounting on my ex Trophy and my FJR, some more photos here (FJR start on the 2nd page).
That looks like a Ram-Mount ball on the stem bolt. Where did you get that? I looked at the Ram mount web site and they don't appear to have such a thing. That solution looks ideal to me.

Buggered that. I meant that 85Turbo's setup looked like a ram mount on the stem bolt. Anybody know where to get one of these?

Techmount has this specific mount for the FJR, like mine:

zumo5.jpg

10998.jpg

Techmount Ref: 10998

Yamaha also has a specific mount accessory for the 01 - 05 FJR and another one for the 06 - 07 FJR

FJR_Zumo_02.jpg

01 - 05 FJR Yamaha mount

FJR_Zumo_08.jpg

06 - 07 FJR Yamaha mount

Slight hijack here.. I already own a Garmin C330 and wonder if anyone has tried to mount one of these on their bike and if so, how did it go? Is it worth the trouble to lash it on to a bike? I doubt it is very bad weather friendly. I have been happy with the unit switching it back and forth between cars.

Slight hijack here.. I already own a Garmin C330 and wonder if anyone has tried to mount one of these on their bike and if so, how did it go? Is it worth the trouble to lash it on to a bike? I doubt it is very bad weather friendly. I have been happy with the unit switching it back and forth between cars.

bikerskier... i have a c320 and have it mounted to my '06 with a cradle made specifically for the c3xx series by ram mount. go to https://www.ram-mount.com and use the motorcycle mount wizard and you should be able to find the mount i am talking about.

back to the original post, the c320 did the trick for me as it is a basic GPS and i did not need any of the bells and whistles of the higher end units. plus, at ~$230, the price was right. and while it is not waterproof, i can always throw a bag over her head, right?

I have a dumb question, for those of you who installed a stem-mount system, how do you properly torque the steering head nut? It doesn't appear, at least from the pictures that I've seen, that there is any way to get a standard socket over the stem-mount-nut(?). Or am I not understanding how the stem-mount works? Thanks

Larry

I have a dumb question, for those of you who installed a stem-mount system, how do you properly torque the steering head nut? It doesn't appear, at least from the pictures that I've seen, that there is any way to get a standard socket over the stem-mount-nut(?). Or am I not understanding how the stem-mount works? Thanks
Larry
Everything comes apart, the "post " is held onto the base by a allen head screw, the base unscrews from the stem nut. My socket is deep enough the base does not need to be unscrewed from the stem nut.

gypsy
Hola,

you are not btw the GyPsy, that long ago was very active and informative in the Kawazaki Forum ??? She had the same nickname, but as I understood she moved to Alaska....

Ohh, I'll go for the tomtom rider this spring !!! :clapping: :clapping:

Regards

Tor

I have a Garmin Quest 2 mounted on a Techmount center stem mount on my '04 FJR. Couldn't be happier with it. Lithium ion battery powered, mine runs 12-15 hours on battery power without a problem when I go hiking or off road motorcycle riding. Preloaded with street level detail maps of the entire USA, very fast processor, recalculates routes on the fly, trackback feature, color screen is VERY visible, even in bright sunlight, uses flash memory instead of HDD so no worries about mc vibration problems, uses buttons for user input instead of touchscreen (which I much prefer, I've talked to way too many people who have had trouble with their touchscreen input after the unit is used for awhile). The center mount location is close enough that I can easily read the GPS screen display and yet it does not interfere at all with reading the other dash display gauges. The audible voice command feature works fine with my helmet Platinum 900 communication system or I can simply plug in a standard earbud headset and wear it inside the helmet. The only negative I would caution about with the Quest or Quest 2 is that it is a very small unit, small enough to fit in your shirt pocket (the small size is the main reason I went for the Quest 2, so I can use it for hiking, geocaching, off road mc riding, cars, truck, and all three of my motorcycles)--but if you have any vision limitations, the small screen size may be an issue for you. The Quest 2 was a Best Buy in MCN magazine in one of the Fall, 2005 issues.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California