GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to replace my Garmin Vista as my old eyes can't read the small screen on the fly. Any thoughts on which GPS is the best for the MC? I occassionally use it in the car. I'd like to use it in Europe as well as the US. I have the MapSource CDs, will they work on the newer Garmins? TIA. Ian, Iowa

Check with James at Nav 2000. He sells at cost to FJR forum members. I just talked to one of his techs and Garmin is making a new model that has everything loaded on memory already for you and the unit is easier to use than the 2610, which I have. It also has XM capabilities built in. Sounds cool and I believe it was around $840. Can't remember the model number though.

I've got the 276c, I love it. The plus for me it that it has a battery. Some prefer the 26** or 27** because the 276c uses propritary memory.

If I were to get a new one I think it would be the 376c, Same as the 276c but with XM music, traffic and weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian

The few models you should look at is the Garmin 2720, the 2730 if you wish to have XM radio with your GPS, The 276c none touch screen but have battery, the 376c with XM. The Garmin 376c can be use for boaters looking for the ultimate in portability and versatility, the GPSMAP 376C has it all. This color plotter offers satellite weather capability along with both marine and land navigation modes in one space-saving package with subscription.

These units can withstand the vibration and weather conditiion on a motorcycle and the screen is larger and brighter then what you had.

The TomTom Rider is also an option if you wish to have Bluetooth phone capabilities along with traffic and weather conditions.

The Lowrance iWay 500 is used on some motorcycles, but have an issue with hard drive lock up or failure, it comes with a larger screen.

That's about it, if you go with the Garmin Quest II, it is a smaller screen without touch screen.

For a all around GPS system, the Garmin Nuvi 350 is very popular but it is not water resistant.

I hope this information helps ;)

I am using the Iway 500c and have had no problems with it. It has by far the largest most easy to read and use touchscreen. That along with the fact that it is waterproof and will hold 10 gigabytes of music makes it the choice for me.

My second choice would be the new hand held Magellan exploist XL. This model has a large color screen and the ability to utilize any size SD card. It gives you all the acvantages of the 276 Garmin without the limitations of propriety memory and not having the map software included in it's initial purchase price.

If you want to have a 26xx or 27xx, but want Bluetooth also, check www.gps-garmin.nl. They have made an addon that combines BT with additional buttons for often used functions. Linky

I'm thinking about getting the 376C. My questions here are:

Is the screen larger than the 2730?

Can I listen to the XM radio with earphomes plugged directly into the unit and does it cut/lower the music for the voice prompts? Can these voice prompts be turned off?

This unit seems to sit higher than the 27XX series , how are folks mounting this?

Thanks,

Knifemaker

Garmin Nuvi 350 is a very stylish product but the TomTom rider is more rugged. TomTom rider has bluetooth capabilities and it is specially made for two wheelers, comes with all mounting kits and it is water proof

Why doesn't someone make a GPS that is just *perfect* for a motorcycle? I just found out that the facy traffic stuff on the TomTom Rider won't work in the US. Probably because we use different software here. I also saw the new Garmin 550 which looks like it will be the cat's ass but it isn't waterproof. Arrrgh!

The 2730 or the 2720 seem lihe the best bets if you want traffic info but the screen is small relative to the size of the unit.

Cheers,

Jim

Has anyone considered the lowrance baja color type, 04FJR4ME if you could provide some information on it that would be great, seems like it would be perfect for 2 wheels, I think it was a 480 model.

thx Mike

Still haven't pulled the trigger on a GPS, but would love to have one before going to the EOM gathering this year.

AS far as I can tell, the perfect unit doesn't exist. I like the 2730, but the MP3 player is useless without a much bigger memory reserve or an external card reader. Need more than a couple of tunes for long trips!!

From what I've read, the "harddrive units" are not recommended for motorcycles due to the vibration. That said, I have a 276C and am quite happy with it. It is waterproof and is not as prone to "washing out" in the sun as the 2610 is (my Dad had to get the sunshield for his 2610). The memory cards cost more than I think they are worth, but it is a trade off, as far as I'm concerned. I can fit all the map info I need (right now) on a 128mb card with room to spare.

Brian

For anybody with the 2730, do you know exactly how much memory is available for MP3 playing???

For anybody with the 2730, do you know exactly how much memory is available for MP3 playing
About 700 MB for MP3 music.

Why doesn't someone make a GPS that is just *perfect* for a motorcycle? I just found out that the facy traffic stuff on the TomTom Rider won't work in the US. Probably because we use different software here.
I don't really understand this question about TomTom Rider won't work in the US!

May I ask why it won't work in the U.S? By the way, the TomTom Rider comes with the better NA mapping software from NavTeq, the TomTom 300, 700 and 910 all comes with the TeleAtlas software which is not as detail and have much more routable issues in my personal opinion.

What is your idea of a perfect motorcycle GPS? Some wish for it to have a larger screen, some don't, some wish for blue tooth so they can ride and answer the phone, some wish to have XM Radio, Traffic and weather information.

I doubt they will ever make a GPS that will fit everyone’s requirements and still be affordable.

I think the Garmin 2720/2730 along with the 276C/376C comes pretty close to what people need, the TomTom Rider is good if you wish to have a unit you can operate while riding with gloves on and blue tooth. The 276C and 376C is not touch screen but you can load marine software into it for dual purpose application.

Has anyone considered the lowrance baja color type,
I don't have personal experience with this Lowrance Baja model, but my best guess is that the user interface would be very simular to the iWay 500C. I am sure it will be fine if you don't have a bunch of other GPS systems to compare it to side by side.

Again, nothing is perfect but it's better then nothing.

Just my two cents worth, what do I know! ;)

Why doesn't someone make a GPS that is just *perfect* for a motorcycle? I just found out that the facy traffic stuff on the TomTom Rider won't work in the US. Probably because we use different software here.
I don't really understand this question about TomTom Rider won't work in the US!

May I ask why it won't work in the U.S? By the way, the TomTom Rider comes with the better NA mapping software from NavTeq, the TomTom 300, 700 and 910 all comes with the TeleAtlas software which is not as detail and have much more routable issues in my personal opinion.

What is your idea of a perfect motorcycle GPS? Some wish for it to have a larger screen, some don't, some wish for blue tooth so they can ride and answer the phone, some wish to have XM Radio, Traffic and weather information.

I doubt they will ever make a GPS that will fit everyone’s requirements and still be affordable.

I think the Garmin 2720/2730 along with the 276C/376C comes pretty close to what people need, the TomTom Rider is good if you wish to have a unit you can operate while riding with gloves on and blue tooth. The 276C and 376C is not touch screen but you can load marine software into it for dual purpose application.
I meant that the TomTom traffic won't work in the US. The unit, as you know, works fine.

As far as perfect, I think that the upcoming Garmin Streetpilot c550 wrapped in a plastic bag would be nearly perfect. I now don't want a TomTom Rider since the traffic features won't work in the US and I don't want a Garmin 2720/2730 because I just don't like the form factor, the lack of a battery and the old GPS receiver. The SiRF based c550 looks great except for the fact that it isn't waterproof. Arrrgh.

Last edited by a moderator:
After much deliberation, I just ordered a 2730. And, the guys at autonav are awesome!!!! :D :D :D