GPSuspension shock spring upgrade

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, here is an example of what happens when the correct Group Buy vendor is selected.... as previously mentioned, it's not ALWAYS about the lowest bidder.

You have to look at the bigger picture and consider all aspects if you want to have a successful Group Buy. Price is only a single factor, and it's foolish to consider it above everything else.

Vendor customer service, integrity and follow-though are the critical factors.

Yep, here is an example of what happens when the correct Group Buy vendor is selected.... as previously mentioned, it's not ALWAYS about the lowest bidder.
You have to look at the bigger picture and consider all aspects if you want to have a successful Group Buy. Price is only a single factor, and it's foolish to consider it above everything else.

Definitely a +1 on that Dale :good: ....

Definitely a +1 on that Dale :good: ....
Installed new spring today and parameters fell into place prefectly with 850# spring vs 750# spring(I weigh 230# plus spouse who weighs 125# rides with me sometimes) that came with shock. I had been discussing situation with Dave many weeks ago because to create the proper sag, I had to put too much preload on spring. Presented a harsh ride compared to new spring. I would recommend him and his company to anyone interested in a suspension change.

Finally got my "upgrade" spring fro GPSuspension. Delivered to my neighbor's house during the "blizzard". Since my neighbor has a new knee, he didn't want come down the louge to deliver it. Guess he didn't want to pick up the phone, either. UPS man didn't want to come down, either. Can't blame them, though, it WAS treacherous. Well, I wasn't going anywhere anyway.

Of course now that the ice has melted... it's snowing. You guys up north are laughing, but we only get weather like this about every 15-20 years. Sucks. I can gloat that I have ridden year around nearly without interruption for the last 3-4 seasons, though.

Anyway, opened the box to find a nice Eibach 7x800 spring. Instead of the pretty blue (or just black), it's gay assed red. Are they all gay assed red? Now if I had a gay assed red FJR, it would be different. I like gay assed red, but not on my pretty silver/blue FJR. Did I have a choice? No, I guess not. Am I glad to get the spring? Sure. Supposedly now it's the right spring. Even if it is the wrong color, let's hope it is the right rate for my 200 pound solo ass plus gear and ridden aggressively...occasionally. Is your spring GAR?

I actually didn't know that the Penske was as adjustable as it is. I didn't even look at the overall mechanism, just installed it. I figured (wrong) that it would be perfect right out of the box. I was eager to ride on it before the weather got shitty. Well, that didn't happen. Now I've had the "bonus" chance to look at the shock and it's components. Nice.

The 8981 is really a nice piece of work. And changing out the spring was easy. Took less than an hour. It's a little tricky with those fucking bolts that held the hard/soft lever poking down. If there wasn't a computer attached to that bracket, I'd remove it. Alas, at least on my AE, it's gotta stay there. I can't bring myself to cut the bolts off, either, although I probably should. I can't see this bike EVER going back to a stock shock. But dropping the spring and replacing it was overall a breeze. Good thing the the 8981 comes with that bent rod to run the preload thingy around the top of the shock. Amazing that the flimsy "c" spring clip holds the perch on. Beautiful piece of work.

Did you all have 3 shims at the top?

Still not good enough weather to go out and test ride. Blowing snow and gusting to 45. No thanks. Maybe next week? Maybe tomorrow? I dunno. But I'm ready.

Now, has anyone else has a chance to test ride the difference in the springs? Happy with the change?

Last edited by a moderator:
1 It's a little tricky with those fucking bolts that held the hard/soft lever poking down. If there wasn't a computer attached to that bracket, I'd remove it. Alas, at least on my AE, it's gotta stay there. I can't bring myself to cut the bolts off, either, although I probably should. I can't see this bike EVER going back to a stock shock.
2 Amazing that the flimsy "c" spring clip holds the perch on. Beautiful piece of work.

3 Did you all have 3 shims at the top?

4 Now, has anyone else has a chance to test ride the difference in the springs? Happy with the change?
Yes its red

1 +1 here

2 my thoughs exactly

3 yes

4 YES

The 8981 is really a nice piece of work. And changing out the spring was easy. Took less than an hour. It's a little tricky with those fucking bolts that held the hard/soft lever poking down. If there wasn't a computer attached to that bracket, I'd remove it. Alas, at least on my AE, it's gotta stay there. I can't bring myself to cut the bolts off, either, although I probably should. I can't see this bike EVER going back to a stock shock. But dropping the spring and replacing it was overall a breeze. Good thing the the 8981 comes with that bent rod to run the preload thingy around the top of the shock. Amazing that the flimsy "c" spring clip holds the perch on. Beautiful piece of work.
Did you all have 3 shims at the top?
I'm pretty sure all of those aren't "shims". Penske is supposed to include a Torrington bearing with every shock that has an 800 lb/inch or stiffer spring. A Torrington bearing is a caged set of needle rollers that have a shim on both sides. On the Penske shock, it makes it a real easy task when adjusting the preload collar.