Grease leaking under the Triple tree ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldandSlow

Reaction score
I've noticed lately that a little grease is leaking out under the top triple tree around the bearing. It's not much mind you but enough to need a "wipe down" every now and then. Is there a seal on top of the top bearing that can leak? I checked last night and the bearings / front end is smooth and there is no "Play" in the front end.

Thanks

Grease, oil, and other bike fluids have a way of migrating due to surface tension and wind flow as you ride, and a little grease can spread out to seem like more.

Don't worry,the frame especially the summer get hot from the engine and this cause to melt a little the grease..

Just the same happened to me especially the summer..Perhaps a better quality grease will resolve this...

This is what prompted me to take my head bearings apart last winter. I found the bearings and seals were in excellent condition despite the original grease becoming a bit 'runny'. I could have just cleaned and repacked them, but I replaced them with a tapered roller kit - because I could.

Al.

Hell, mine's been that way since new! I thought it was to trap bugs that came in under the windshield...that's what my grease "slick" does anyway.

The hot frame cause this..

Especially in superior hot Gen1..
smile.png
laugh.gif

I'd just loosen up the whole thing, wipe out the original lithium grease and regrease with a synthetic grease. At least you'll know enough is in there, and you may not have to look at it again except for checking the steering head torque once in a while. Normal to have some grease ooze past that kind of seal, don't fret too much.

Thanks guys. I was more curious as to if this was a "normal" thing for the FJR. I've only had her for a little over a year. So I appreciate the replies and, I won't worry about it now.