Great White North Wrenching Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
This is not a ride report per say but sort of a continuation of the Bust Tech Day VI. I didn't take my bike to Tech Day since I was going to be spending time on Ray's forks. In exchange Ray graciously offered to come to my place putting his life into his own hands by driving across Toronto.
I got a text from Ray at 07:00 AM that his way out the door and heading my way. I figured I better go out to the garage and find my FJR....

CA_05081214164192-L.jpg

Now I just saw that FJR a few days ago so after routing around in the garage I found where it was hiding. I better clean things up before Ray shows up or he is likely to get back in the van and go home.....

tech%20day%204-L.jpg

Now we can actually get at the bike to work on it. You are probably wondering right now where did the rest of my stuff get to .....

tech%20day%209-L.jpg

There are times where having an enclosed trailer is VERY handy.
Time to get the tank off and see what kind of critters have taken up residence.....

tech%20day%201-L.jpg

Not too bad and some compressed air made short work of the bigger chunks of debris. It was not long before we got to the heart of the matter for doing valve clearance checks.....

tech%20day%202-L.jpg

When I went to check some measurements with the micrometer that Ray brought with him I mentioned to Ray that I didn't think my shims were that thick....

tech%20day%205-L.jpg

I told Ray the shims are a little over a millimeter but Ray is getting old and is reverting back to his pre-metric days. Fortunately I have my own micrometer so the day was saved.
It is days like this that I wish I lived in a gated community so we can keep a trailer queen, POS Gen I out....

tech%20day%206-L.jpg

If you are wondering who would be shameless enough to haul a beat up antique like this around out in the open where everyone can see and laugh, here is a clue.....

tech%20day%207-L.jpg

Tows all including scrap. In case you still are not sure it was none other than FJRob1300 (Rob).....

tech%20day%208-L.jpg

We let him work on the bike in the driveway. There was no way I was going to let him clutter up my garage after all the work I put into cleaning it up with that abomination. The other reason we let him stay is that he brought the beer.

By the end of the day we had all the bikes back together and running well. We did find out however that running the bike with the oil pump cover off is not recommended. Also leaving the coolant temperature sensor disconnected brings in an engine warning light on a Gen I. Rob threw Ray under the bus for that one and I threw Ray under the bus for leaving the oil pump cover off.
Ray started to cry and said he was going to take his ball and go home. I pointed out to Ray that he didn't bring a ball but a micrometer that was 25.4 times too big for the job. But then I felt sorry for Ray and didn't want him driving all the way back across the city sobbing so I took the blame for the oil pump cover that was my fault anyways.

The day ended as it started with a trip over to the local Timmy's....

tech%20day%2011-L.jpg

On the way over I had to pick up the trail of Molson Canadian empties that Rob was leaving behind....

tech%20day%2010-L.jpg

Rob was kind enough to supply me with Sleeman Honey Brown after I told him if he brought over Budweiser or Coors Light we would refuse to work on his bike.

It was a great day and we had a lot of laughs along the way. Thanks to Ray for offering his expertise and an extra set of hands when the task required it. Thanks to Rob for his bartending services and making sure that we maintained proper hydration.

The exhaust valves on my bike were fine but the intakes were right at or near minimum clearance. After some shim changes everything was in great shape for the upcoming riding season....

intake%20valves-L.png

exhaust%20valves-L.png

Just one last note for Rob the long suffering Leafs fan, Montreal 4 - Leafs 1

tech%20day%2012-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Drove home mostly in the rain and the dark, all across that desolate Toronto. Interesting to see who actually is coming home on the weekend, guy with a brand new minivan with the gas lid closed but the bright yellow fuel cap hanging out by its tether, single minivan accident just west of Bill's, looks like it did an end over end a couple of times, dirt everywhere, people driving back from cottage country with assorted trailers and junk and 4 wheelers all muddy........ anyway, I got home without incident, feeling kinda tired like I've been run over by a bus for some reason............

Last edited by a moderator:
Serves ya right Ray... You guys didn't invite me an Tom an now we're both hurt.
Fukers https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/****.gif

smile.png
We had Rob to throw us under the bus. We didn't need other folks to stand around with their hands in their pockets, telling us what we fuked up and stealing our beer.
tonguesmiley.gif

Tech day 6A... what a great day at Bills. It was hot and sunny all day. I thank Bill and Ray for all their help with my valve clearance check and a carb sync.

Rob

smile.png
We had Rob to throw us under the bus. We didn't need other folks to stand around with their hands in their pockets, telling us what we fuked up and stealing our beer.
tonguesmiley.gif
Well, you just summed up my exact usefulness at a tech day.
biggrin.png

smile.png
tonguesmiley.gif
Sorry you feel that way

Sorry you feel that way
Ah come on guys, I was only kidding. This started out with me asking Ray to come over and give me a hand doing some valve checks and now look at the trouble I've gotten myself into. Rob sent me an e-mail offering to pay me to do the valve checks on his bike. I couldn't take any money but Ray & I did get paid in beer. Rob is now in trouble with his dealer since the dealer wanted to know what Rob was doing with the parts that he ordered.

As it was Rob had to park his truck & trailer in the neighbour's driveway since there was no room in my driveway or on the street. We were just lucky that the neighbours were gone for the weekend and the driveway was available. As much as I would like to host a Tech Day I just don't have the space.

Next time I work on my bike I'm not posting anything. If there are no pics it never happened.

Waitaminute here....
Rob drives a Ford?

I thought he worked for GM??
Rob had the company's pickup truck. He was supposed to bring the tow truck with that POS Gen I on the hook but the tow truck ate an injector. That Gen I on the hook of the tow truck is a photo I would have killed for.

Tech day 6A... what a great day at Bills. It was hot and sunny all day. I thank Bill and Ray for all their help with my valve clearance check and a carb sync.

Rob
So how's the bike running after?
Bike runs perfect. With a little help from my friends it was a successful day.

IMG-20130416-00060_zps5d4d2859.jpg

I wasn't too sure how much to bring for the 3 of us.

IMG-20111022-00039_zps1d95e325.jpg

That's in case any nosey neighbors wander over, you put that in the cooler that is out in the open and clearly visible that they are likely to mooch out of.