Grindy Noises

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup ... looks like I will be back to "shifting the way God intended" .... with the clutch !

( like I did for about 20 years ... before I started listening to the people who told me it wouldn't damage the trans at all )

Can't wait to get her back out of the shop ... hopefully before Laguna Seca ....

All fixed !

New (improved) gears seem a little bit noisier

I'll be running her on the usual epic trip up to Moto GP this weekend .... gonna be awesome ... as usual

If I might be so bold to pry and ask, approximately what did that kind of repair cost through a dealership? Purely for curiosity's sake and future reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
while they were in there ... four of the gears and/or dogs were worn, so basically, four gears were replaced

2k parts 1.5K labor

Just did 1000 miles at "warp speed" to Laguna Seca and back .... yee haw ....

Must be nice, in this day and time, to have $3.5K to spend on things other than bills and food. :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be nice, in this day and time, to have $3.5K to spend on things other than bills and food. :dribble:
A veritable bargain compared to those, pricey, NorCal Yammie shops... :eek:

Still, after viewing posts about a similar problem, many (here on the Forum) would've searched-out another ride -- in lieu of fixing their bike.

Congrats 'faster' for getting yours fixed.

(one wonders what the "buy another" crowd does with their broken bike...?) :unsure:

... four of the gears and/or dogs were worn, so basically, four gears were replaced

2k parts 1.5K labor
Faster,

Big Kudos to you for getting your machine fixed!

Could you share with us the Parts List necessary to get this job done?

Thanks for sharing...

If it was up to me ... I'd probably settle on a few vehicles which "fit the bill for me" and keep "recycling" them.

"Normally" I have (budgeted for and) bought a new bike every five years.

- this year instead of that I spent 3K on a BUILT motor for my 88 Hawk, and 3.5K on a new transmission for the FJR.

( so no I have two "NEW" awesome bikes)

If, instead, I was buying new bikes to replace these two gems, I woould have probably needed to spend $35K

( which realistically would have meant that I would have ended up spending 10K on another "new-used" FJR .... and waited another 5 years to spend another 10K on a "new-used" 2012 Tuono - or some such nonsense)

.... I'll probably type up the parts list later this week or next ...

... this week is kinda busy ....