Grip Cover Recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blassoff said:

You could probably cut and glue the puppies for the wife's bike. Gee, how much smaller are the grips on an NC700? That's weird.
The Honda factory heated grips I installed on her bike are obviously less than the 1.25 inch minimum diameter for grip puppies because they would slip when installed. I had measured the grip diameter to send it to Grip Buddies so they would make them to fit, but can't remember what that number was. Cutting the length would not be a problem, but I don't see a practical way to split them lengthwise and glue them together again to create a smaller diameter. She's happy with the Buddies, so I'm happy also. ;)

blassoff said:

You could probably cut and glue the puppies for the wife's bike. Gee, how much smaller are the grips on an NC700? That's weird.
The Honda factory heated grips I installed on her bike are obviously less than the 1.25 inch minimum diameter for grip puppies because they would slip when installed. I had measured the grip diameter to send it to Grip Buddies so they would make them to fit, but can't remember what that number was. Cutting the length would not be a problem, but I don't see a practical way to split them lengthwise and glue them together again to create a smaller diameter. She's happy with the Buddies, so I'm happy also.
wink.png
Happy wife, happy life, Nuff Said

I've tried grip buddies and didn't care for them. They slipped in hot weather and it was difficult to get the seams perfectly straight. Grip puppies are cheaper, easier to install and stay put.
Same here. I had them on for a trip in CO a few years back, and the adhesive failed. The company owner was cool, refunded my money, but when he offered to send me another pair at no cost, I told him to save his money, as I wouldn't be putting them on my bike again.

I have had good luck with Grab On grip covers. They are similar design to the Grip Puppies but less expensive. 90K and I'm on the 3rd set.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJAH5M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Have you ever used the Grip Puppies? I'm wondering what the difference is between the 2?

BTW, the Grab On grips are cheaper on ebay (especially if you don't order enough on Amazon to get free shipping):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grab-On-Grips-Grip-Cover-Fits-From-1-25in-to-1-45in-OD-5in-L-MC402-/221906290646?hash=item33aaa547d6:g:~WIAAOSwo4pYEJOK&vxp=mtr

The first time I searched for Grip Puppies, the Grab ON was the first link so I have never tried the actual Grip Puppies brand.

I've used buddies for tens of thousands of miles, much of it in high heat. Always worked great. Install in seconds. I just tried grip puppies again. Pain in the ass to install. They feel nice. I still prefer the grip buddies.

The trick to installing grip puppies is compressed air, piece of cake to blow them on. Or any grip for that matter.

I used compressed air and the nozzle pictured above. Still a pita compared to installing the others. But without that suggestion, I'd have thrown them in the trash like I did my last set, when they ripped going on. They're on fine, so I'll get to compare them with what I'm used to. I started using covers way back just to protect the more expensive heated grips. I like them, but the naked grips felt pretty Good Friday. First time I've ridden a sport tourer without grip covers since I rode the BMW and fjr home (different years) from the showroom and immediately applied grip buddies.

Last edited by a moderator: