Grip heaters for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Dual Stars w/ heat troller and foam grips. I put the clutch side on the bare bar and haven't noticed any difference in heat. I dial it to about 1/3 on the troller and it cooks both hands evenly. :)

I have the Dual Stars w/ heat troller and foam grips.  I put the clutch side on the bare bar and haven't noticed any difference in heat.  I dial it to about 1/3 on the troller and it cooks both hands evenly.  :)
Hey Stray, how did you connect the Troller to the Dual Stars? Did you connect the Red and Blue wires on the Dual Stars to the Purple and White Troller wires? Did you ignore the White wire on the Dual Stars? :huh:

dbx

dbx--splice the low and high + together from the grips with the + input on the 'troller. That way you get more heat when at full blast (only for real cold days). These are there so if you install a hi/low switch you'll have both settings.

After quite a few years of using heated grips on various bikes, this is defintiely the "hot" setup.

I don't recall the wire colors on the 'troller, but it's right there in the instructions.

Can anyone tell me if there is enoung room to have heated grips (with the wires sticking out)and still install a Vista Cruise? it looks like the wires from the grips may interfere with the Vista Cruise. Anybody have both?

okay guys, need some help here.....I want to buy heated grips but was thinking of the Yamaha brand. I figured that it would be better to buy the grips made by the factory. Any comments on Yamaha versus the Dual Star? Thanks. Jo

OHFJR, I have both on my bike. The wire rubs slightly, but not enough to hinder it. When I was doing the install I did cut a small relief notch in the grip. After I was finished I don't think it was really necessary.

GP

I want to buy heated grips but was thinking of the Yamaha brand. I figured that it would be better to buy the grips made by the factory
I have Yamaha grips on my FJR. IMO, they are way expensive for what you get. My dealer threw them in as part of my deal on my '04 B) so the cost was not an issue for me. My first temp controller was DOA, the second controller has been fine. It has not been unusual to have some part of Yamaha's heated grips fail.

The good: They work well. They come with a mounting bracket for the very big controller. Operating the controller knob with gloves on is no problem. You will eventually be able to do the install without having to hack any harnesses.

The not so good: There have been failures. The controller is BIG. Even though they are Yamaha parts you have to use several pig-tails to get all the wiring hook-ups done. They are $$$. You are stuck with the actual grips which are pretty hard when cold and slightly shorter than the stock grips. Finding the ground wire hidden in the main harness was an adventure :angry: Did I mention that the installation instructions in Japanese are actually better than the ones in English <_<

The options: Under-grip heaters with either a two speed switch or a controller like the Heat-Troller. This lets you choose the kind of controller, choose where the controls go, use grips of your choosing and install the parts in a way that suits you. There has been some complaints about uneven heating between the throttle and clutch grips.

There should be tons of information available even post Hack Attack. Try a search.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks...Mother's Day is coming up and was thinking about asking for the heated grips as my gift. But, think I'll do some more shopping and asking before making a decision as to which brand to buy. Jo