Grip Puppies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most fun would have to be the soap. Later, when you are riding in the rain and you can't see anything, they become Slip Puppies.

I bought a set of wraps that were functionally the same, but oh, so simple. It was a rectangula piece of spongy foam with a fabric backing and a strip of the part of velcro that adheres to it. So you put the velcro strip along one edge of the foam rubber part, which you wrap around the grip, and the other edge sticks back down on the velcro. There's a seam showing, but I've been using mine for over two years and they never came loose.
Sound like the NOJ grip covers I tried. I decided I don't like the fatter grips with gloves on and sold them off.

Grab On makes grip covers, too. FJR needs the small grips 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" grip diameter. They come in 4.25" and 5" lengths. FJR grip is 4.5" so you'll need to get the 5" grips and trim them to length.

https://www.grabongrips.com/motorcycle.php

grab_on_grip_covers_500.jpg

An anvil type cutter does a nice jog of trimming them such as the Rigid Cut Rite II tool.

https://www.harryepstein.com/ridgid.htm

Making a neat trim with scissors is almost impossible. Better to smash them flat and slice through with a long sharp blade.

ridgidcutterscarded.jpg

Odd that so many are having trouble with the install, I just opened the box a couple of minutes ago and they are on.

• Ran them under some really hot water
  • Lubed the inside of the now wet and hot puppies with some hand soap
  • pulled them on till they stopped, about 1/2 way
  • Then pushed the outer part on and repeatedly ran my hand from outside to in till they slid into place
.Never had problems using soap, it dries sticky and holds grips on fine.

I will have to check on the grip heaters and how they are effected by them.

You adjust the heat controler just a bit higher and you will not see any differences

Have always used hairspray and have never had a problem. I have found that the liquid hairspray in a pump bottle works a little bit better than the aerosol sprays, but they both work. Like others have said, it dries like glue, and mine have never slipped.