grip puppies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deagle

Reaction score
I don't know if the throttlemeister is holding me back or not enough soap water...but I bought the small size (recommended somewhere here and looks right) and I can't get the things on. Suggestions? (compressed air took them off from 1/2 way nicely but I want them on).

Thanks.

(your neighborhood 7 fingered idiot mechanic)

I'd recommend taking off the Throttlemeister. Then use compressed air PLUS another set of hands. You blow, have them yank. That's how I put mine on with no soap.

Agreed, remove the TM then use soapy water or hairspray and tug them on. If air is available, that works great but not necessary. But don't hold back on the liquids, they dry nicely and some add sticky. I've had had 4 sets so far, they are great.

Soapy water. then I found having my wife hold the bike while I yanked on the little buggers worked. I had her hold the bike so I didn't pull it over. I found wearing a pair of light summer leather riding gloves gave me a better grip on the puppies. I tugged and pulled and pushed and rested and tugged. They eventually went on. Three pairs so far... keep going.

Soapy water. then I found having my wife hold the bike while I yanked on the little buggers worked. I had her hold the bike so I didn't pull it over. I found wearing a pair of light summer leather riding gloves gave me a better grip on the puppies. I tugged and pulled and pushed and rested and tugged. They eventually went on. Three pairs so far... keep going.
I soak them in very very hot soapy water for 10 minutes. Then let the tugging begin.

GreyGoose

I just put them on over the Throttlemeister 2 weeks ago. I can't say it was easy, but the generous use of soapy water (I used dish soap BTW), and the combination of pushing from one end and tugging from the other worked fine in the end. Probably took me a total of 5 minutes for both. Make sure you have the bike on the center stand since you could easily push it off the side stand when you apply the necessary tugging force.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine went on using compressed air with no problems... having an extra set of hands is a good thought...

When you say add air what do you mean....apply compressed air at the bar end???
I've installed 2 pairs on my FJR so far using just compressed air. Takes all of 2 minutes with no tugging required. The key is to pull the puppy partially onto the grip and then insert the air nozzle into the open end of the puppy and then squeeze the puppy around the nozzle before blasting. Be sure to quickly push the puppy on as soon as you blow air or else it'll just pop off the grip. The puppy won't be completely on the grip at this point, so just insert the air nozzle between the puppy and the grip and blow while shifting the puppy around as required. Works like a champ! :yahoo:

Oh yea, no glue is required because both pairs I've had on haven't slipped on bit and I even ride in the rain constantly and my bike sits outside in the rain all day while at work.

Ample use of dishwashing soap - mine slid on so easy peasy I thought I was doing something wrong. A little water and time and the soap/suds go away. The puppies have never slipped one bit and fit snug as a bug on the grips.

+1 on the dish soap water, fold or roll the puppies down some ( like your great grannies stockings) half way was all I could get, push on roll up done deal. :p

Installed mine yesterday. Was pretty much a pain. I started with soapy water - 8-10 drops of diswashing detergent in a half gallon bucket. This did not really work. Then I tried soapy water with compressed air and this helped a lot. I sort of inserted the narrow nozzle from my air compressor under the grip at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions and blasted the air under the grip while pulling the grip on from the inside of the bar. I just kept adding air and tugging the thing on bit by bit.

Scott

I use Napa tire changing rubber lubricant... they slip right on with no problems, and when the stuff dries it keeps them there. No compressed air, no soapy water, no pulling/tugging/swearing and no extra set of hands required.

Griff

Soapy water, and a long thin screwdriver(with the tip ground off). Get them soapy, use the screwdriver, working it around the stock grips while pushing the grip puppies inwards. Some effort but not bad..

*A sharp edge screwdriver may cause tearing...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed my grip puppies this weekend. Soapy water did not work. I coated the insides of the grip puppies with dishwashing soap, sprayed a little water the hand grips and the grip pippies, and they slipped right on.