grip puppies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then use compressed air PLUS another set of hands. You blow, have them yank. That's how I put mine on with no soap.
After reading this verbiage, plus the avatars on posts 3 & 4 had me paying close attention to this thread thinking things would get better....... then I saw Shiny and ruined the whole deal!

May I suggest [SIZE=12pt]KY[/SIZE] and all you need is one hand to stroke it on. :yahoo:

Actually, hairspray works best and you need to work fast while someone braces the other bar end for leverage.

Is trimming required? Will stock lengths interfere with throttlemeister?

(after one failed attempt I'd hate to get them on finally and figure out they are too long)

Is trimming required? Will stock lengths interfere with throttlemeister?
(after one failed attempt I'd hate to get them on finally and figure out they are too long)
I dont have a thottlemeister but mine interfered with my barends so that the throttle would stick open. I just got a razor blade and cut them while they were on the bike and it turned out fine.

Take a water bottle, cut the top and bottom off, slice down the middle, wrap it around the handle, put it about halfway on grip, slide puppy on other end, use soapy water, then slide it on. Took about 10 seconds!!!!

I just used regular hand soap. wash your hands, get em nice and soapy, coat the inside of the puppy with the soap, pull em on, ez-pz.

Mine came from amotostuff.com less than $8 pair. Nice :fans:

I put one on this week and this made it sooo much easier:

Cut an Aluminum Soda Can's ends off, then Cut the aluminum length wise so it can Wrap around the Bar as tight as possible.

Soaped the Inside of the Puppy and it slid right on.

Took a pair of ViceGrips and Pulled the Can Material while holding the Grip Puppy in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
av-3575.jpg

(Thanks and apologies to Flying Junior.)

I found after the soapy method I had used too much soap - I took them off and did this with good results.

Thermal plastic mug (circa 1994 Green Mountain Coffee Roasters my choice) holds a grip puppy quite nicely - place in water put in microwave 1 min worked - really hot so use your gloves for the final step - go to the garage with this boiling grip and slip it on. Put mine over a none OEM bar ends no problem.

Take grips and put in boil of warm water and two pumps of hand soap for about 1 minute.

Take them out and towl dry outside. I also have t/m and it took a little more effort on that side.

Push grip over t/m and then with your thumbs work it the rest of the way.

It took me all of ten minutes for both sides.

Just replaced mine this afternoon with the www.casporttouring.com, small ones:

1. Compare Grip Puppy length to grip and trim if needed. I generally have to trim about 1/4" off each one, if that.

2. Liberally spread a soapy water mixture on inside of Grip Puppy...leave no part of it dry or you'll end up fighting with it later. I used Dawn dish liquid.

3. Liberally spread soapy water all over grip and bar end.

4. Quickly twist Grip Puppy onto grip. You might have to play with the end of the grip to keep it from rolling up on you.

Took me about 10 minutes to do it today...most of that time spent kinda goofing off really. Very easy. It was around 95 in the garage today and within a half hour, the Grip Puppies were dry and wouldn't budge...all good.

Last edited by a moderator:
You take them out of the packaging and open the top of your trash can, Take them in one hand while holding the lid with the other and toss them into the open trash can. They suck!

You don't belive me? Try them for a couple of months then remove them, you'll "feel" a world of difference, They are too soft and spongy to really get the feel of the bike. Don't be scared of the vibes, use them to your advantage, they tell you what the bike is doing.

just put my first set on.....used soapy water, a helper and every 4 letter word I could remember. When I do it again, I'll use tire lube.