Grip Puppies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
I know this has been posted before but had a helluva time getting mine installed. No access to an air blower so went with the soap and water method as it had worked when I installed them on my Triumph. Not this time, however, due to the lip at the end of the grips.

Installed one with the soap and my fingers are so sore this morning, feels like I've been picking cotton.

I finally sprayed the inside of the other one with silicone and it slid on much easier. Still very tight and doesn't turn. ;)

Monty,

Yes they can be tricky to install.

I have discovered an easier way to install them by cutting a piece of plastic out of a Plastic Soda bottle that wraps around the grip and overhangs the grip about an 1".

Then you soap up the interior of the Puppies and slide it on... when you get it on, take a pair of pliers and Pull out the slippery Plastic piece.

Monty,

Yes they can be tricky to install.

I have discovered an easier way to install them by cutting a piece of plastic out of a Plastic Soda bottle that wraps around the grip and overhangs the grip about an 1".

Then you soap up the interior of the Puppies and slide it on... when you get it on, take a pair of pliers and Pull out the slippery Plastic piece.

N O W - you tell me! Great tip.

Shoot some hairspray down the tube and they slip right on. Let em sit overnight for all the solvent to evaporate and they are on. Have used this "procedure" for three sets on my bike and it works great.

Shoot some hairspray down the tube and they slip right on. Let em sit overnight for all the solvent to evaporate and they are on. Have used this "procedure" for three sets on my bike and it works great.
Windex works great as a lubricant. Dries fast too. Grip puppies are good stuff, especially if you have larger hands.

Btw, I was at Cal Sport Touring a couple months ago, and they weren't sure they would be making them anymore, since the manufacturer required a very large minimum order. You might want to get some while you can.

Windex works great as a lubricant. Dries fast too. Grip puppies are good stuff, especially if you have larger hands.

Btw, I was at Cal Sport Touring a couple months ago, and they weren't sure they would be making them anymore, since the manufacturer required a very large minimum order. You might want to get some while you can.
Thanks for letting us know the product may be going away. I ordered 5 sets! 3 for myself as stock and 2 for a friend. Sucks to have to horde them but I could not do without them after 7 years of using them.

I just installed my first set last night with hairspray & it worked well. This is the best under $20 mod. I've ever done. What a difference it makes!!! I couldn't stand the narrow & rock hard stock grips. Sometimes its the little things that makes all the difference in comfort. :)

No Hair, so no hairspray layin around.... LOL

I have Throttlemeisters installed so they make a nice smooth transition for sliding onto the grip....

FWIW - I always soak mine in HOT water for a few minutes before the install (they float so you have to weight them down, use a good amount of dish soap on the grips and also on the inside of the puppies and they always slide on gracefully and give me some time to get the adjusted and in there proper location...

Last edited by a moderator: