Grip Pupplies or Bar Ends

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Got a bit of carpal tunnel and was wondering what's the best for limiting bar vibes - Grip Pupplies or bar ends?

Second- what bar ends are the preferred brand?

Thanks

Scott

A lot of people like Manic Salamander. I use the heavy throttlemeister which seems to work well and has added throttle lock functionality.

I also have carpal tunnel. I use the short throttlemeister, which is still a lot heavier than stock bar ends. I also use grip puppies, which I think helps the most.

I also have carpal tunnel. I use the short throttlemeister, which is still a lot heavier than stock bar ends. I also use grip puppies, which I think helps the most.
I ride a thumper 650 in addition to my FJR, and my experience is that anything that allows you to relax your grip will give you relief.

Crampbuster, Throttlemeister, Cruise Control, Throttle Rocker, Vista Cruise, Grip Puppies, or Breakaway all help (Caution, don't use

all of these at the same time :blink: ). The FJR is silky smooth in the vibration department, at least compared to my KLR650, but for

me it's not the vibration but my deathgrip on the tiny diameter FJR grips.

I've used Grip Puppies and a Throttle Rocker with lots of success, but since installing the Audiovox Cruise Control I've stopped using

them.

Use both. Hudson Valley made a nice set that I thought looked better than the manic salamander ones. I replaced mine with a throttlemeister then added a cruise control for good measure.

I use both. The puppies allow me to keep my hands less cramped, and I have a brake away cruise as well. A great combo.

I have heavier bar ends and also grip puppies. The puppies make the most difference IMO. They are only about $10 from casporttouring, so I'd try those first because bar ends are gonna cost more (unless you do like I did and install Honda ST1300 heated grips and then modify the included heavier bar ends to fit on the FJR).

Crampbuster + heavier bar ends + grip puppies + throttlemeister they all help

and you can do them one at a time

grip puppies best bang for the buck $10

Crampbuster is second $10

heavier bar ends $10+

throttlemeister $120+

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a bit of carpal tunnel and was wondering what's the best for limiting bar vibes - Grip Pupplies or bar ends?
Second- what bar ends are the preferred brand?

Thanks

Scott
https://www.fjrgoodies.com/gallery/TOPGUN/B...d_weight_LG.jpg

I have a set of these (see link above)from the pay it forward section on this list. Your welcome to them if you want. I have the manic salamander ones and they just work the best for me. You can email me at [email protected] with your address if you want them

Eric

I use Throttlemeister with the heavy bar ends. This along with the release of the throttle return spring by one rotation works a treat. Numb no more!

Regards

Surly

Upright not Uptight

:ph34r:

Throttle Return Spring Mod - 0 Dollars

Grip Puppies - approx. 10.00 Dollars

Vista Cruise Throttle Lock - approx 25.00 dollars.

Manic Salamanders Pounders - approx 50.00 dollars used or on sale.

Padded Palm gloves - cheapies on sale about 12.00 dollars.

No more numbness or tingling - Priceless!! :yahoo:

basically got both...puppies and heavy throttlemeister (bar ends)

it was the two set of risers that saved my wrists

<below is a superior Gen I's setup>

3708483372_297efc8932.jpg

4591874853_d4b7448f5e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good feedback mates. Thanks.

Throttle spring mod... is this necessary on the 2008 model? Thought this issue was with Gen I models and they corrected this on the Gen IIs?

Scott

Good feedback mates. Thanks.
Throttle spring mod... is this necessary on the 2008 model? Thought this issue was with Gen I models and they corrected this on the Gen IIs?

Scott
My 07 still had a very heavy throttle pull. Doing the spring unwind allows much lighter grip to keep the throttle turned. I believe that the cam profile on the throttle tube was what was changed on the 08 and later, which allows for more gradual throttle application but does nothing for effort required to keep it twisted.

I use Throttlemeister with the heavy bar ends. This along with the release of the throttle return spring by one rotation works a treat. Numb no more!
Regards

Surly

Upright not Uptight

:ph34r:
Just curious... I would think the Throttlemeister would be easier to use with the return spring modified as you said. Do you think this is the case? Just seems to me the TM is a finicky device to use and making the throttle easier to stay in one place would be a good thing.

thx

Scott