Grip removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulie

Reaction score
I'm going to be removing old grips and installing heated ones. Will a 12 v. tire pump provide enough psi for the removal job, or do I need to have a serious compressor on hand? TIA,

paulie

I'm going to be removing old grips and installing heated ones. Will a 12 v. tire pump provide enough psi for the removal job, or do I need to have a serious compressor on hand? TIA,
paulie
I just put a set on yesterday. Wasn't going to use the old grips, so I cut them off...but to put them on, I needed about 120psi (although more would have been nice) so pretty sure the tire pump won't be enough.

You will prob. need a regular compressor. Its not that you need a whole lot of pressure, you will need some volume also. Those little tire pumps will put up 50 or 60 psi but it comes out in a trickle. You want 60 or so psi that comes out fast so it will raise the rubber off the bar and hover (so to speak) the grip off.

Good luck...

Heat gun set on low, a thin bladed screw driver and some soapy water in a squirt bottle. And that's not an enema recipe, either. ;)

Just do it the easy way! Take a very small long screwdriver, I use a philips, squirt some contact cleaner in and pull!! To install spray it good and be fast!!

I mentioned this to a friend the other day and he put it all in perspective: "Do you like the grips that are on there?" Answ: "NO".

"Are you ever going to use them again?" Answ: NO. "What's wrong with a shop knife?" Answ: "Nothing".

I mentioned this to a friend the other day and he put it all in perspective: "Do you like the grips that are on there?" Answ: "NO". "Are you ever going to use them again?" Answ: NO. "What's wrong with a shop knife?" Answ: "Nothing".
gunny :glare: